MTX terminator dual 12" subwoofers vented box smelly voice coils?

realflow100

CarAudio.com Recruit
they are rated 1000 watts RMS total combined and 2000 watts peak combined power and I'm only giving each subwoofer a maximum of 100 to 250 watts and I was playing some bass and I started to smell it so I turned it down. the dust caps I could feel some warmth to them and I could smell it was cooking a little. they didnt smoke and still seem to work fine but i'm worried they will blow out if I turn it up again. and the amplifier was not clipping or putting any distortion.

The subwoofers were not moving a whole lot at the time. I know they can move more and not smell so I dont know if its a dead zone frequency for the box that makes the subwoofers get hot without flexing and so they get hot?

the frequency is between 25 to 35hz and they can flex way more and not overheat but i'm not sure if they are damaged or if they just need to be broken in longer first?

I am using an equalizer to balance the frequency response so the deep mid and high bass frequencies are similar volume from 30hz to 100hz since they are quite boomy at certain frequencies.

Maybe my subwoofers are just too cheap? they were 100$ from amazon including the box. I had a look inside the box and it seemed alright but I changed the speaker terminal so they are not in parallel (my amplifier has 4 channels so I bridged two of them so each subwoofer gets a stereo signal and not mono.)

also they are rated 4 ohms each so I have them wired up to 4 ohms bridged stereo on my amplifier (1000 watt amplifier. peak. and 240-260 watts RMS bridged stereo. so around 500 watts RMS total combined power for both subwoofers?)

Last edited by a moderator:
they are rated 1000 watts RMS total combined and 2000 watts peak combined power and I'm only giving each subwoofer a maximum of 100 to 250 watts and I was playing some bass and I started to smell it so I turned it down. the dust caps I could feel some warmth to them and I could smell it was cooking a little. they didnt smoke and still seem to work fine but i'm worried they will blow out if I turn it up again. and the amplifier was not clipping or putting any distortion.

The subwoofers were not moving a whole lot at the time. I know they can move more and not smell so I dont know if its a dead zone frequency for the box that makes the subwoofers get hot without flexing and so they get hot?

the frequency is between 25 to 35hz and they can flex way more and not overheat but i'm not sure if they are damaged or if they just need to be broken in longer first?

I am using an equalizer to balance the frequency response so the deep mid and high bass frequencies are similar volume from 30hz to 100hz since they are quite boomy at certain frequencies.

Maybe my subwoofers are just too cheap? they were 100$ from amazon including the box. I had a look inside the box and it seemed alright but I changed the speaker terminal so they are not in parallel (my amplifier has 4 channels so I bridged two of them so each subwoofer gets a stereo signal and not mono.)

also they are rated 4 ohms each so I have them wired up to 4 ohms bridged stereo on my amplifier (1000 watt amplifier. peak. and 240-260 watts RMS bridged stereo. so around 500 watts RMS total combined power for both subwoofers?)
more often times than not, subs that get smelly and arent being pushed wicked hard are pretty weak subs, which sounds like the case here. My hole audio sub has a small magnet and about 200 watts behind it and will get hot and smelly without a ton of abuse. Likely the subs themselves being of lower capability and thus getting hot and smelly

is my only solution to buy more powerful subs? I dont want to spend more than 100$ per sub but I still want subs that are reliable and can handle their rated power

and I want some subwoofers that have a good frequency response too. a balanced response thats not peaky at one frequency. I want them to sound good at most frequencies. Ive already modified the box and put stuffing in it and I changed the port tuning down to 30hz since it was tuned really high and sounded awful and peaky. it sounds better but I need better subwoofers if these cant handle even 200 clean watts per subwoofer.

Extended the port inside to about double its length by adding another port wall. and added tons of stuffing to dampen the boomy resonances 

Well unless you probably add volume... just doubling the length of the port sounds like it'll close-up the volume and negate most if not any change in tuning. I'd be surprised if adding batting and length would actually accomplish much.

IDK, maybe I'm incorrect?

Closing-up the port area a bit and adding a bit of length would seem like a better way to me, those 12's shouldn't need a lot of port area before output is affected with low power/excursion drivers.

Really... lots of better sub options out there anyways and if you do your diligence, research and get/build a better box you'll likely be happy.

After Sq I'm guessing by your other thread?

the subs say they are rated 500 watts RMS each. and are 4 ohms each. it says 1000 watts total RMS and 2000 watts peak but I think thats definitely not right but I still think they should at least handle 100-250 watts each without starting to smell!

My amplifier is not clipping I used the SMD clipping detector tool and I checked with the frequencys on it and I made sure I set the gains right with it for each subwoofer since each subwoofer is bridged to 2 stereo channels and the amplifier has 4 channels. and can be bridged in pairs of two channels. i have it set up that way

could it be just the song itself had clipping in the audio data itself? i'm not sure? other songs dont have this issue no other songs make them start getting hot like that.

its hard to tell if its clipping because the voice sounds clear in the song but I cant tell if the bass frequencies are clipped because they are underneath the voice or the voice was added after the bass was clipped making the voice sound clear?

I actually tried getting the 2500 watt monoblock amp from walmart but it was an EMPTY BOX and they had none in the back in stock! so I picked the closest one I could find. in RMS ratings for my subwoofers

"its hard to tell if its clipping because the voice sounds clear in the song but I cant tell if the bass frequencies are clipped because they are underneath the voice or the voice was added after the bass was clipped making the voice sound clear?"

What??.....wow, some interesting threads lately, do some research on how to install and properly setup audio equipment before you buy anything next time....it will save you alot of time, money, frustration....but on second thought keep posting you are very entertaining for us ********

I'm talking about the song not my amplifier. the song might have clipped bass as part of the audio Im not sure. I already did research and properly installed and set up my audio equipment. i think its just the song has clipped bass and I couldnt tell because the vocals were coming clear over the bass and my amplifier gains are set correctly. I think the subwoofers are just crappy. guess time to save up to buy better subwoofers and possibly new subwoofer box as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.