realflow100

MTX terminator dual 12" subwoofers vented box smelly voice coils?

they are rated 1000 watts RMS total combined and 2000 watts peak combined power and I'm only giving each subwoofer a maximum of 100 to 250 watts and I was playing some bass and I started to smell it so I turned it down. the dust caps I could feel some warmth to them and I could smell it was cooking a little. they didnt smoke and still seem to work fine but i'm worried they will blow out if I turn it up again. and the amplifier was not clipping or putting any distortion.

The subwoofers were not moving a whole lot at the time. I know they can move more and not smell so I dont know if its a dead zone frequency for the box that makes the subwoofers get hot without flexing and so they get hot?

the frequency is between 25 to 35hz and they can flex way more and not overheat but i'm not sure if they are damaged or if they just need to be broken in longer first?

I am using an equalizer to balance the frequency response so the deep mid and high bass frequencies are similar volume from 30hz to 100hz since they are quite boomy at certain frequencies.

Maybe my subwoofers are just too cheap? they were 100$ from amazon including the box. I had a look inside the box and it seemed alright but I changed the speaker terminal so they are not in parallel (my amplifier has 4 channels so I bridged two of them so each subwoofer gets a stereo signal and not mono.)

also they are rated 4 ohms each so I have them wired up to 4 ohms bridged stereo on my amplifier (1000 watt amplifier. peak. and 240-260 watts RMS bridged stereo. so around 500 watts RMS total combined power for both subwoofers?)

Edited by realflow100

On 1/1/2019 at 3:28 AM, realflow100 said:

they are rated 1000 watts RMS total combined and 2000 watts peak combined power and I'm only giving each subwoofer a maximum of 100 to 250 watts and I was playing some bass and I started to smell it so I turned it down. the dust caps I could feel some warmth to them and I could smell it was cooking a little. they didnt smoke and still seem to work fine but i'm worried they will blow out if I turn it up again. and the amplifier was not clipping or putting any distortion.

The subwoofers were not moving a whole lot at the time. I know they can move more and not smell so I dont know if its a dead zone frequency for the box that makes the subwoofers get hot without flexing and so they get hot?

the frequency is between 25 to 35hz and they can flex way more and not overheat but i'm not sure if they are damaged or if they just need to be broken in longer first?

I am using an equalizer to balance the frequency response so the deep mid and high bass frequencies are similar volume from 30hz to 100hz since they are quite boomy at certain frequencies.

Maybe my subwoofers are just too cheap? they were 100$ from amazon including the box. I had a look inside the box and it seemed alright but I changed the speaker terminal so they are not in parallel (my amplifier has 4 channels so I bridged two of them so each subwoofer gets a stereo signal and not mono.)

also they are rated 4 ohms each so I have them wired up to 4 ohms bridged stereo on my amplifier (1000 watt amplifier. peak. and 240-260 watts RMS bridged stereo. so around 500 watts RMS total combined power for both subwoofers?)

more often times than not, subs that get smelly and arent being pushed wicked hard are pretty weak subs, which sounds like the case here. My hole audio sub has a small magnet and about 200 watts behind it and will get hot and smelly without a ton of abuse. Likely the subs themselves being of lower capability and thus getting hot and smelly

is my only solution to buy more powerful subs? I dont want to spend more than 100$ per sub but I still want subs that are reliable and can handle their rated power

and I want some subwoofers that have a good frequency response too. a balanced response thats not peaky at one frequency. I want them to sound good at most frequencies. Ive already modified the box and put stuffing in it and I changed the port tuning down to 30hz since it was tuned really high and sounded awful and peaky. it sounds better but I need better subwoofers if these cant handle even 200 clean watts per subwoofer.

21 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

I changed the port tuning down to 30hz 

I'm curious... how did you accomplish that ^^^^ with the prefab?

JVC KD-X350BTS, RE Sx-18d4 9ft3 36.86hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

Extended the port inside to about double its length by adding another port wall. and added tons of stuffing to dampen the boomy resonances 

Edited by realflow100

Well unless you probably add volume... just doubling the length of the port sounds like it'll close-up the volume and negate most if not any change in tuning. I'd be surprised if adding batting and length would actually accomplish much.

IDK, maybe I'm incorrect?

Closing-up the port area a bit and adding a bit of length would seem like a better way to me, those 12's shouldn't need a lot of port area before output is affected with low power/excursion drivers.

Really... lots of better sub options out there anyways and if you do your diligence, research and get/build a better box you'll likely be happy.

After Sq I'm guessing by your other thread?

Edited by shredder2

JVC KD-X350BTS, RE Sx-18d4 9ft3 36.86hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

11 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

So much wrong in this thread I'm not even going to try. 

you could offer any insight that you feel might be helpful. i didnt ask about the amp because he seems confident that he knows the wattage there, but it could be a clipping issue too obviously

4 hours ago, youdoofus said:

you could offer any insight that you feel might be helpful. i didnt ask about the amp because he seems confident that he knows the wattage there, but it could be a clipping issue too obviously

I'm going to leave it at MTX Terminators. 

Hack job boxes and peak power are the icing on the cake. 

You get what you pay for. 

giphy.gif

the subs say they are rated 500 watts RMS each. and are 4 ohms each. it says 1000 watts total RMS and 2000 watts peak but I think thats definitely not right but I still think they should at least handle 100-250 watts each without starting to smell!

My amplifier is not clipping I used the SMD clipping detector tool and I checked with the frequencys on it and I made sure I set the gains right with it for each subwoofer since each subwoofer is bridged to 2 stereo channels and the amplifier has 4 channels. and can be bridged in pairs of two channels. i have it set up that way

could it be just the song itself had clipping in the audio data itself? i'm not sure? other songs dont have this issue no other songs make them start getting hot like that.

its hard to tell if its clipping because the voice sounds clear in the song but I cant tell if the bass frequencies are clipped because they are underneath the voice or the voice was added after the bass was clipped making the voice sound clear?

Edited by realflow100

I'd just thrash on them, roll the windows down when they get smelly... When they blow upgrade to better subs a box and a mono amp...

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial labc 12 2.4 38hz amp Rf t1000x5ab

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amps RF t1000.5ad 4 ch mode infinity k1000  sa 15 3.5 @ 30hz or 2 type s12 6.3 @ 41 hz  or jbl s3 1.5 42hz. or nvx  vcw 10 1.1 @ 32hz  2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

I actually tried getting the 2500 watt monoblock amp from walmart but it was an EMPTY BOX and they had none in the back in stock! so I picked the closest one I could find. in RMS ratings for my subwoofers

"its hard to tell if its clipping because the voice sounds clear in the song but I cant tell if the bass frequencies are clipped because they are underneath the voice or the voice was added after the bass was clipped making the voice sound clear?"

What??.....wow, some interesting threads lately, do some research on how to install and properly setup audio equipment before you buy anything next time....it will save you alot of time, money, frustration....but on second thought keep posting you are very entertaining for us assholes

Edited by JRsmoothee

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee : Alpine ILX-207 : Morel Tempo Ultra 6x9 components : Infinity Perfect 300m 3.5 midrange : Zapco ST-6X SQ : Dayton Audio DSP : 12" Fi SSD / 2.45 cuft @ 26hz : DC Audio 1.2K  : Stock 160A ALT. Odyssey Battery(engine) : Stinger Battery (back) : and plenty of CLD & MLV

I'm talking about the song not my amplifier. the song might have clipped bass as part of the audio Im not sure. I already did research and properly installed and set up my audio equipment. i think its just the song has clipped bass and I couldnt tell because the vocals were coming clear over the bass and my amplifier gains are set correctly. I think the subwoofers are just crappy. guess time to save up to buy better subwoofers and possibly new subwoofer box as well.

Edited by realflow100

Cleetus done heard those Dual subs at Walmart hit so hard they will tickle the hair on Tammy Sue's armpits clear across the trailer park. 

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

I'm going to leave it at MTX Terminators. 

Hack job boxes and peak power are the icing on the cake. 

You get what you pay for. 

1: fair point, which is similar to what i was saying

2: im no box expert, so i didnt want to speak to that part

3: for the most part, yes

I found out the issue. the subs are getting about 100 maybe 200 watts each and only moving a little bit. no wonder they are heating up at those frequencies. they move more air at higher frequencies and lower frequencies.

Maybe its a thing like I should give them enough power to cool themselves from cone movement but not too little power where they dont move enough to cool themselves but still enough to cook slowly?

Is that even possibly a thing? or should I just keep the power lower around that frequency?

11 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

I found out the issue.

Is that even possibly a thing? 

Sounds like you want someone to support your theories... good luck man... :eyebrow:

I'm just asking what anyone else thinks. lol

On 1/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, realflow100 said:

I'm just asking what anyone else thinks. lol

its possible, yes

On 1/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, shredder2 said:

Sounds like you want someone to support your theories... good luck man... :eyebrow:

ill mention again the subwoofer i have at home which is a Definitive Technology powered 10". The dustcap will get hot from time to time and start to smell after what wasnt extreme volume levels, but not exactly levels that my neighbors were thrilled with either im sure. The box is 100% factory and so is everything else.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now