3-way Active Crossover Points? Where to start?

Participant count
  • Participants list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
Where should I set the crossovers initially? Before I do an RTA or anything like that... Literally the starting point with all EQ's flat and no enhancements. Here are the speaker sizes and locations:

Alpine 38mm Tweeter - High in the door, factory location, off axis. (Alpine says 800 - 45Khz [-10db]) (4ohm)

Digital Design 2.75" Midrange - Middle Lower door, Just above the woofer, factory location, off axis (160 - 20Khz) (4ohm)

SilverFlute 6.5" Woofer - Lower door, factory location, off axis (50 - 3... 4... 5Khz?) (4ohm)

NO REAR SPEAKERS

Dayton Ultimax 10" Subwoofer - Trunk, shredder2 box design, non directional (25 - 1.5Khz) Dual 2ohm (1ohm)

I have read so many different post and there are so many crossover points... but where to start with a given speaker size?

Have you searched each drivers website for information? Companies will usually list their recommended points and power ratings. If  the Digital Design mid really does extend to 20k there is no real constructive use for the Alpine tweeter and I would lose it as it will cause too many issues. There is no possibility that the mid is going to reproduce 160Hz at a reasonable listening level without horrible distortion and damage and should be crossed over much higher. Do you have a preference for crossover slope? What slopes does the processor offer? So without getting very in depth and no Alpine tweeter (which should be at least a 2nd order HP @ 3kHz to start), I would high pass, or 2nd order HP the Digital Designs @ 600Hz, the SilverFlute 6.5' should start out with a 2nd order LP @ 600Hz and a 2nd order or higher HP @ 60-70Hz. To achieve the greatest low frequency impact I would HIGHLY recommend setting the sub point, slope and time delay in relation to the front speaker settings while listening to low frequency sine waves. Try adjusting the front HP filters also until you achieve the best possible combination.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you searched each drivers website for information? Companies will usually list their recommended points and power ratings. If  the Digital Design mid really does extend to 20k there is no real constructive use for the Alpine tweeter and I would lose it as it will cause too many issues. There is no possibility that the mid is going to reproduce 160Hz at a reasonable listening level without horrible distortion and damage and should be crossed over much higher. Do you have a preference for crossover slope? What slopes does the processor offer? So without getting very in depth and no Alpine tweeter (which should be at least a 2nd order HP @ 3kHz to start), I would high pass, or 2nd order HP the Digital Designs @ 600Hz, the SilverFlute 6.5' should start out with a 2nd order LP @ 600Hz and a 2nd order or higher HP @ 60-70Hz. To achieve the greatest low frequency impact I would HIGHLY recommend setting the sub point, slope and time delay in relation to the front speaker settings while listening to low frequency sine waves. Try adjusting the front HP filters also until you achieve the best possible combination.

Cheers
For some reason I didn't get notifications for this post... completely forgot about it. I got all the crossover stuff sorted out though. ty.

Silverflutes (60-80)-500hz DD mid 500-3500, tweeter 3500-20khz. You likely can drop the lpf and hpf on the midbass and midrange to 350 without much issue instead of 500. And the tweeter can be crossed lower but it shouldn't be needed. Pulling a sweep on each speaker will show you their usable range then it's just eq to flat in that range and pick your crossovers. Then play as sets to ensure proper summing between like drivers and at crossover points

In that car, the 2 door G6 GT I ended up with the silverflutes in the doors and in pods on the A-pillars the Infinity Kappa's and the tweeters were the DD's.

They are installed and wired up... mostly. I couldn't get my ARC crossovers out of the doors so I will order a pair to hold me over until I get the amplifiers.

Right off the bat the Infinity Kappa Perfect mids are so much louder than the DD 2.75" mids. Like night and day. Partly because they are for the most part on axis but yeah, they are louder. In a couple of weeks I will order one of the amplifiers for running full active.

20210120-184519.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...