port Vs. wall question

Participant count
  • Participant list
This same question made someone produce an equation for finding minimum clearance without tuning changes... iirc it was dependent on port area and using a flare would let it get fairly close.

I'm on phone so finding the thread is a "B" but it was something like "port or aeroport problems" by @my63bug

There was also another solution I'd never thought of and was pretty cool... port inside another larger going the other way... once again a mathematical bear finding exact clearance and how much larger to make the second tube... but it can be done.

Bends are another solution but I just use a slot when it comes to that... just me I suppose.

Are you talking about an aero 6x22 long?

Last edited by a moderator:
This same question made someone produce an equation for finding minimum clearance without tuning changes... iirc it was dependent on port area and using a flare would let it get fairly close.

I'm on phone so finding the thread is a "B" but it was something like "port or aeroport problems" by @my63bug

There was also another solution I'd never thought of and was pretty cool... port inside another larger going the other way... once again a mathematical bear finding exact clearance and how much larger to make the second tube... but it can be done.

Bends are another solution but I just use a slot when it comes to that... just me I suppose.

Are you talking about an aero 6x22 long?
nope my port will be 6" tall and 22" wide for 130 sq inches of port at the bottom of my box, but inside of my box is only 20" deep. I could make a square port and fire it into drivers real quarter but only have 5" between box and interior panel. but I could remove it and throw some sound deadner on it.

jeep cherokee XJ doesn't have a very big Cargo Area, still trying where to put Batteries after I finalize box design

I see... a slot then. At the bottom?.. a 1 common wall port?.. 6" tall?.. I usually go a bit more than 1/2 the port height or more if possible, or you probably can close-up the port a touch as you're port area seems like it's a bit excessive to me... less port area would probably make the lower tune you're after easier to hit (more volume available and shorter port length). 

Just how much power do you think you'll actually have on tap?

I see... a slot then. At the bottom?.. a 1 common wall port?.. 6" tall?.. I usually go a bit more than 1/2 the port height or more if possible, or you probably can close-up the port a touch as you're port area seems like it's a bit excessive to me... less port area would probably make the lower tune you're after easier to hit (more volume available and shorter port length). 

Just how much power do you think you'll actually have on tap?
Orion xtr 2500.1 but it'll do 5000 all day on music, what would recommend for port area ? think 110 sq inches would get loud

I never assume that much power from an amp that says around 2700 on the birthsheet... why are you assuming so much power?
seen tons of test, they test it at 12v.  for the 2700 rating. dynamic it always does over 5k @1ohm but if i'm not happy with it i'll get the HCCA 3000. I know it'll do more than 5k

I just thought that xtr 2500.1 would give those SA15's what they wanted. I might just get the HCCA
Those poor subs... another hard user... My sub takes what I throw at it... sure... but I know my equipment's limits and when to chill

And I'll bet it don't like the power... but I do

Go for it!.. mo power is always better IMO (of course I'm not the guy who has to warranty the subs), or pay for the electrical. 

But the XTR2500.1 ought to do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those poor subs... another hard user... My sub takes what I throw at it... sure... but I know my equipment's limits and when to chill

And I'll bet it don't like the power... but I do

Go for it!.. mo power is always better IMO (of course I'm not the guy who has to warranty the subs).

But the XTR2500.1 ought to do fine.
I did DB drag back in 06-07 so I like to go past the normal limits, this build is my first in years that isn't tuned to 60hz. that's why I'm over thinking this box design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.