Port Area

Participant count
  • Participant list
it gave me around 16" length but when I put everything in winisd it showed tune around 43hz not 35
I'd trust Winisd a lot more than whatever you're trying to use currently. 

Try Torres box calculator, it's not dead-on but a lot closer or Xplicit audio has an app that seems to be close. 

Others use different ones too... but I cant speak for them... sorry

Unless you're killing those Sa-15's with power I'd think that much port is unnecessary in any case, how much are you putting to them? 

I use a ton of port (108in2) in a much larger enclosure (5.77ft3) on a single Sa-15 with a higher tune (43ish) and it does pretty good, but I was after specific goals in my situation.

Try Torres box calculator, it's not dead-on but a lot closer or Xplicit audio has an app that seems to be close. 

Unless you're killing those Sa-15's with power I'd think that much port is unnecessary in any case, how much are you putting to them? 

I use a ton of port (108in2) in a much larger enclosure (5.77ft3) on a single Sa-15 with a higher tune (43ish) and it does pretty good, but I was after specific goals in my situation.
I’m using a Orion XTR 2500.1 so they’ll have some power that amp is good for 5k

How does yours sound tuned to 43 I listen to everything music wise but I also want loud 

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

How accurate is the calculator for port area on this site ?

it's saying I need 138 square inches for 2 15" with 19mm xmax sundown SAs at 35hz

seems like a lot of port for a 7 cube enclosure and being that big it's gonna be a really long port

I have a pair in 6cf tuned at 35hz with 112 sq inches of port and it does very well. have them on 3k. Very loud for some 2.5 coils

I have a pair in 6cf tuned at 35hz with 112 sq inches of port and it does very well. have them on 3k. Very loud for some 2.5 coils
So I should be good with 7 cubes and 130 sq inches of port. 

It seems like every online calculator is the same for port length but it comes up short in Winisd. Like if the calculator says 16” for 35hz , when I enter specs in Winisd and go to vent it’ll show 21” for port

So I should be good with 7 cubes and 130 sq inches of port. 

It seems like every online calculator is the same for port length but it comes up short in Winisd. Like if the calculator says 16” for 35hz , when I enter specs in Winisd and go to vent it’ll show 21” for port
7ft3 with 130in2 at 16" long?... man... that's probably in the in the 40's.

I'm betting 7ft3 with 130in2 of port ought to be around 30" I believe offhand

Are you sure everything is being done correctly?

Or are you just noticing a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
7ft3 with 130in2 at 16" long?... man... that's probably in the in the 40's.

I'm betting 7ft3 with 130in2 of port ought to be around 30" I believe offhand

Are you sure everything is being done correctly?

Or are you just noticing a difference?
I haven’t built enclosure yet, just in design stage, but I’m noticing that the online port calculators aren’t correct, thinking about calling sundown directly because when I tune to 38hz on Winisd my output jumps up a lot 

Winisd uses t/s parameters... youll see a predicted response.... calcs don't.  Its true a slightly higher tune will most likely have a bit more output and even more pronounced in a vehicle probably. 

But its at the expense of extension... 37-38hz is not too bad tho and unless you combine that with a big volume it shouldn't be too peaky in my experience and still have decent extension.

I always model and try to find what compromise works best without limiting output. 

I just re-did a design for an xtr2500 on 2 Sa-15's that I was planning for the S-10 Blazer I had that got wrecked.... a 37hz tune in 9ft3.

After modeling it up again I was suprised how nicely it did.. so I drew it up.

uEmVdL.jpg

Looks like that higher tune will still get down a bit and have some decent output... I  miss that Blazer

I've tried Sundown's contact several times lately and gotten no response... I hope you have better luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.