Need custom stereo surround help - 1968 Chrysler newport

Participant count
  • Participant list

Biggredd2069

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 1968 Chrysler Newport convertible that had the most pain in the a$$ stereo ever to remove. Had to cut the dash apart and I modified the opening to go from the original am only stereo to a modern stereo.  The problem is the dash is very uniquely shaped and I can't fit it in normal. The dash angles from the middle of the stereo back so the middle of the stereo is flush but the sides are exposed as the dash angles back. Secondly the dash angle back so the bottom of the stereo touches but the top is exposed.  If I try to angle the stereo to by flush it hits the hvac on the inside.  So I need to figure out some sort of faceplate surround that doesn't just have me showing exposed stereo sides.  It is a single din. 

Also, it only has a red and orange wire going to the stereo and nothing else.  There was a strap bolted to the back that I'm guessing is the ground.  Since there wasn't a need for a constant on this old school radio I think I'll have to run my own constant power, Can possibly tap into that strap as the ground and then use the red as the car on/off, and the orange as illumination?  hope my thinking is right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.