Are JVC's crap stereos?

TrentonF

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I need some advice from you guys, cause you all know a lot more than me. I'm looking to replace the head unit in my car (2003 mitsubishi eclipse spider) I've got a budget of $400 - $500 and im trying to find the best touch screen dual din possible.

I found this JVC KW-M845BW on crutchfield. It's touchscreen has wireless android capability and also works wired with apple. All the audio stuff looks pretty good and I honestly cant find any downsides at all, and it actually compares really close to some of the 1000+ units I've found.

But when I sent the link to my friend all he said back was "JVC's are ****" then he told me to find a Kenwood. Am I missing something or are JVCs really that bad. And if they are what should i be looking for? I'm confused cause it seems good and ive read really food reviews. Maybe you guys can help.

Screenshot_2018-12-22-02-52-49.png

Screenshot_2018-12-22-03-44-55.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thats just too perfect. I appreciate the help, I'll probably order this in the next dew days unless I find a cheaper deal.

JVC has always been Japanese, and yes they merged with Kenwood but too just look up a ton of reviews on that particular deck to make a sound assessment.  Watch live videos too if you can.  Every little bit helps.

jvc (japanese victor company) has always had a good line of stuff. They  have made crap, but so has every brand. That deck looks solid based on its specs. BTW, youre gonna love android auto. It gives you gps without incurring he stupid cost of a deck with gps built in that doesnt rely on android auto

jvc (japanese victor company) has always had a good line of stuff. They  have made crap, but so has every brand. That deck looks solid based on its specs. BTW, youre gonna love android auto. It gives you gps without incurring he stupid cost of a deck with gps built in that doesnt rely on android auto
Speaking of crap, many of the Chinese brands are trying to dump devices into the market running Android auto at half this price.

Speaking of crap, many of the Chinese brands are trying to dump devices into the market running Android auto at half this price.
man, i just wish that some major player mfg would get a contract with the either qualcomm for some chipsets from even the S6 era or samsung for the xynos processors and get an android based OS on these things. These proprietary operating systems are all dumb and irritating in their own ways and its stupid for these companies to spend all this money on development of their own OS's when everyone using these things has either an android or ios powered phone and would be much more accustomed to one of their interface styles

man, i just wish that some major player mfg would get a contract with the either qualcomm for some chipsets from even the S6 era or samsung for the xynos processors and get an android based OS on these things. These proprietary operating systems are all dumb and irritating in their own ways and its stupid for these companies to spend all this money on development of their own OS's when everyone using these things has either an android or ios powered phone and would be much more accustomed to one of their interface styles
I understand. Could be a cool project with a dragon board or Pi board but it would not last long in the heat of summer.  Some phones can't even take 150 degrees F for very long.  I considered bypassing a head unit all together at one point, but that can get pricey trying to piece together external DACs EQs and/or processors. I just need a 24bit dac with at least 48khz sampling a crossover/eq and I am fine; even that is overkill. But it is simpler to just throw an aftermarket HU in call it a day and go about ones business.

I understand. Could be a cool project with a dragon board or Pi board but it would not last long in the heat of summer.  Some phones can't even take 150 degrees F for very long.  I considered bypassing a head unit all together at one point, but that can get pricey trying to piece together external DACs EQs and/or processors. I just need a 24bit dac with at least 48khz sampling a crossover/eq and I am fine; even that is overkill. But it is simpler to just throw an aftermarket HU in call it a day and go about ones business.
yep. i just wish pioneer, alpine, kenwood/jvc etc etc would pull their collective heads out of their asses and get on the android train lol

yep. i just wish pioneer, alpine, kenwood/jvc etc etc would pull their collective heads out of their asses and get on the android train lol
It will I bet. Just not over night.  The market and other areas of interest would be affected if they suddenly put an Android P or even Q headunit out to market.  I suppose it has a lot to do with IP (intellectual property), licensing, and other factors, etc as well. The OS overhead alone is an issue to but that is my opinion.  Having a 24bit decoding directly on lets say a DEH-80PRS takes a different path then on an Android auto deck.  Then to do the mentioned with a full blown Mobile OS or the like just adds all kinds of over head.  I just want play music and sounds at the best quality and level. Forget all the rest. I am just staying clear of any new stuff, it is not worth the dollar to me yet.  Unless I find something of that caliber used at a cheap price (like 100 bucks), I just look the other way.

I was just gifted a JVC KD-X360TS from a friend that accidentally blew my front door speakers. I was actually looking at it on my pc and guess she though she would make it up, she did even thought she didn't have to. 1st impression was it was cheap, it's a digital media receiver so no cd, its small, light weight and buttons feel light..But let me tell you, this thing sounds good and has tons of options. It replaced a Kenwood cd player and I could not be happier. Just want to find out where she got it because I was looking at it in crutchfield and she got it locally lol.

I was just gifted a JVC KD-X360TS from a friend that accidentally blew my front door speakers. I was actually looking at it on my pc and guess she though she would make it up, she did even thought she didn't have to. 1st impression was it was cheap, it's a digital media receiver so no cd, its small, light weight and buttons feel light..But let me tell you, this thing sounds good and has tons of options. It replaced a Kenwood cd player and I could not be happier. Just want to find out where she got it because I was looking at it in crutchfield and she got it locally lol.
youre the guy with the rockford 4 channel whose drunk friend blew their speakers, right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.