Looking to downsize from 2 Type R 15s

Participant count
  • Participant list

LoudrNU88

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum & looking for some advice and or recommendations. 

I currently have 2 Alpine Type R dual 4ohm 15s (SWR-1242D) in a sealed box that appears to be a dual 12" box that the previous owner altered to accommodate the 15s. I have this squeezed in the trunk of a 07 Kia Spectra and ideally would like to downsize without sacrificing while still using my current Pioneer GM-D9601 which benchmarked 1206Watts rms @ 1ohm 1%thd & 1768watts dynamic burst RMS.

Ideally I would like 1 dual 2ohm 12" or less in a ported box that will run on this amp @ 1ohm and still sound as good if not better than my 2 15s suffocated in the current wrong box.

Considering a new 12 Alpine "R" series but am intrigued by some of the others I've heard so much about like sundown etc.

Any advice would be helpful, looking to spend no more than $250 on the new sub alone, box will obviously be more

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum & looking for some advice and or recommendations. 

I currently have 2 Alpine Type R dual 4ohm 15s (SWR-1242D) in a sealed box that appears to be a dual 12" box that the previous owner altered to accommodate the 15s. I have this squeezed in the trunk of a 07 Kia Spectra and ideally would like to downsize without sacrificing while still using my current Pioneer GM-D9601 which benchmarked 1206Watts rms @ 1ohm 1%thd & 1768watts dynamic burst RMS.

Ideally I would like 1 dual 2ohm 12" or less in a ported box that will run on this amp @ 1ohm and still sound as good if not better than my 2 15s suffocated in the current wrong box.

Considering a new 12 Alpine "R" series but am intrigued by some of the others I've heard so much about like sundown etc.

Any advice would be helpful, looking to spend no more than $250 on the new sub alone, box will obviously be more
As far as the type of sub you want to get I cannot offer any recommendations at the moment. 

Whatever sub you choose to go with though get a box designed for it and have it built. If you plan to take a stab at building it yourself it will be greatly cheaper in price but you'll be sacrificing time and effort of course.  The trade off is worth it though. Even if you find someone who can assemble it for you it might be cheaper then some of the pre-fab boxes online and will definitely sound better.

If you are not planning on changing out the amp why not even take one of the 15s you have and get a ported box designed to match it and your amp. Even at 2 ohms I bet that would sound louder and better than the 2 15s in the altered box currently.  Might save a bunch more money too..

Share more about what you are goals are and what you want to get out of changing the setup and I am sure more folks will chime in here.

I guess people are missing the fact that the current box almost didnt fit and the op wants space back.

What are the exterior dimensions of the current box?

Multiple lengths×width×height then divide by 1728 and tell us that number.

This will give use the gross volume of the sub box you currently have as well as an idea of the airspace you have.

Then tell us how much smaller you want to go on box size.

you would be shocked to know how little airspace type-r's need actually. Not quite as small as the old Boston Pros, but still...

Anyways, with a budget of around $250 for just the sub alone, youre in very good shape. What kind of music do you listen to? How big of a box are you willing to have? And if youre new or returning to car ausio, SunDown is a majoor player these days, but there are so many others that its hard to nail down a recommendation. If you want to go pure SQ get this guy 

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-stw-350f-188pr01-04-15-high-power-subwoofer--264-1652?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7eLah-mx3wIVDNvACh3sMwkeEAQYASABEgITEfD_BwE

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm not new to car audio, I've had systems since the early 2000's including the first two generations of Type R 12's in different cars and SUVs. I was always impressed with both the output & sound quality regardless of genre of music being played. I do primarily listen to rap but also listen to country & rock.

The "altered" sealed box I purchased the Type R 15s in is 36" x 15.5" x 15.5". They came with a Jensen 2000.1 amp

I built my first box which was a 3/4" MDF box I designed using BBOX 38" x 18" x 18" with port dimensions of 16.5" x 2.25" x 12". Unfortunately after all the hard work it was impossible to fit the box in my trunk.

I then built a single 15" box with 3/4" MDF that is 20" x 16.5" x 19.5" with port dimensions of 14.25" x 2.24" x 29.5". This box I WAS able to fit in my trunk but only with the sub firing upwards. Still using the Jensen 2000.1, One Type R 15" @ 2ohm it sounded more consistent regardless of song being played output wise.

I bought the Pioneer GM-D9601 threw both 15s back in the "Altered" sealed box @ 1ohm and it will rip your head off on certain really low songs such as Migos but older stuff that my old type r 12's sounded great on like Lil' Jon Kings of Crunk the output of the bass severely drops off.

I have not yet tried 1 15' with the the new Pioneer amp @ 2ohm but stating to think I should consider it.

Other info about the setup: Headunit is a Pioneer MVH-X690BS powering 4  6.5" Rockford Fosgate R165X3 in the front doors & rear deck

Wiring kit is a Rockville 4 AWG Copper OFC kit

Optima Red Top under the hood with HyperGrounds kit installed under hood as well

Dynamat Xtreme installed under trunk lid, rear package tray & behind door panels

Alpine says Sealed gross volume: (10") 0.5-0.8ft    (12") 0.7-1.0ft    (15") 1.3-2.5ft

& Vented gross volume: (10") 0.6-1.25ft    (12") 0.75-1.75ft  &  (15") 1.5-3.0ft

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm not new to car audio, I've had systems since the early 2000's including the first two generations of Type R 12's in different cars and SUVs. I was always impressed with both the output & sound quality regardless of genre of music being played. I do primarily listen to rap but also listen to country & rock.

The "altered" sealed box I purchased the Type R 15s in is 36" x 15.5" x 15.5". They came with a Jensen 2000.1 amp

I built my first box which was a 3/4" MDF box I designed using BBOX 38" x 18" x 18" with port dimensions of 16.5" x 2.25" x 12". Unfortunately after all the hard work it was impossible to fit the box in my trunk.

I then built a single 15" box with 3/4" MDF that is 20" x 16.5" x 19.5" with port dimensions of 14.25" x 2.24" x 29.5". This box I WAS able to fit in my trunk but only with the sub firing upwards. Still using the Jensen 2000.1, One Type R 15" @ 2ohm it sounded more consistent regardless of song being played output wise.

I bought the Pioneer GM-D9601 threw both 15s back in the "Altered" sealed box @ 1ohm and it will rip your head off on certain really low songs such as Migos but older stuff that my old type r 12's sounded great on like Lil' Jon Kings of Crunk the output of the bass severely drops off.

I have not yet tried 1 15' with the the new Pioneer amp @ 2ohm but stating to think I should consider it.

Other info about the setup: Headunit is a Pioneer MVH-X690BS powering 4  6.5" Rockford Fosgate R165X3 in the front doors & rear deck

Wiring kit is a Rockville 4 AWG Copper OFC kit

Optima Red Top under the hood with HyperGrounds kit installed under hood as well

Dynamat Xtreme installed under trunk lid, rear package tray & behind door panels
With your measurements you are running roughly 5 cubic feet of airspace 

How much space are you willing to give up?

1 15 can be easily put in 3-3.5cubic feet ported.

1 12 is usually pretty comfortable in 2-2.5cubes

2 10s 2.5-3cubes

If you want low notes tune the port to a low frequency. This often hurts overall loudness but it often sounds better.

Get a custom box designed from buck or shredder

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.