Pioneer sells out to China company, What is going on in Car Audio industry.

Moved from other thread.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chinese-company-tcl-to-own-pioneer-and-onkyo-brands-outside-japan.2695/

Yes i just finished reading about the Pioneer sell out to TCL China. It is a buyout of the brand name outside of Japan. Some of the articles said that they will be able to paste and slap that name on anything and everything. WOW that is a blow to car audio. Reminds me of the Polaroid brand i see at the BigLots store i shop at.  Polaroid was a good brand back in the day. Now when i go to BigLots i see that name on all the real cheap electronics there like headphones. $5 & $10 junk.

I have seen those TCL TV's and they too are junk or low quality. I just hope Pioneer don't end up like a Boss Audio or Pyle something like this. Personally I think it is a way to fool the consumer.  These cheap China companies buy a well defined brand and then paste that name on all the junk and think consumers will not notice and see that name Pioneer or Polaroid brand and think it's good.  I have to say that I think this story is BIG.  I think that maybe it is a time in the car audio industry that maybe the same thing is starting over again like what happened back in early 2000's when many well known US made brands got sold out and market changed. If this can happen to Pioneer then who is next JVCKenwood or Alpine.  What is going to be left behind as a good quality brand. I don't want to end up one day with a choice of head units as Boss audio, Power Acoustic.SoundStorm  or some crap like that. What is going to happen to this nice Pioneer amp  BigD  bench tested recently that was a budget gem. Well it may end up like Soundstream and what they did to that amp and changed the board to junk it up.  I think this conversation need to be moved to its own thread.  I'm still wow Pioneer sold out. WOW.

As i commented on the PSI amp thread. Many have commented that it is just too easy these days to have a small investment and go to some China amp and speaker manufacturer and have a bunch of amps and speaker made with your name on there and BAM now your a car audio company. I said also that as a consumer and helping some of my friends buy stuff,  the market i feel is just over saturated with car audio brands and it gets too confusing to a basic car audio consumer trying to build a decent system. I have learned a lot here on this forum but like many have said that there is like 10 amp companies with the same amp board inside made from one China manufacture and one company charges a higher price when an other has a decent price. How does a regular car audio consumer know that. So Like this Pioneer sell out, maybe it has started that the car audio industry is do for a correction like it did back in early 2000's. I just installed a new Pioneer HU back this summer 2018 and now i am in posses of installing the new top of line TS-Z65CH component Hi Res speakers in all four corners of my vehicle. Maybe i got the last of the quality Pioneer equipment. Don't know?  What is this new TCL company going to do with the Pioneer brand?  2019 may see some Boss Audio type equipment with the Pioneer name on it. I feel this is very important topic for the future of car audio.  I can go on but you all get the point to this tread.

Love to know everyone's opinion. I feel this is BIG and a change is starting to happen AGAIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost forgot. The CES or SEMA show. CES is usually first of the year right.  It's around the corner. Any body going to go and see what comes out of it in Car Audio market. Anything new and of importance. ??? Any new companies or any other get bought out or so on. I can't go to CES because i don't have any so called business credentials as the CES web site asks for. Plus my job woul't let me go. I have to work to buy the sold out equipment they sell. I guess you would just consider me like most just a consumer that has no voice to voice there opinion and can not speak to the people that mater. But I ask for many of us,  Whoever is going there to CES you need to bring up one of the most important questions to the car audio company reps or ones that mater, What is going on in the car audio industry. Ask the hard question, are you or you or you and so on to all of them if they plane to sell out to China companies and care less about there customers and making a quality decent product.  Ask, what they think of the Pioneer sell out to TCL. so on. Ask what they think is going to be left in say next 5 years. Just a bunch of sold out companies that are China junk and only a few high line products. Do us a favor if you go and ask the hard questions then come back to this post and give us a report what you got or what they said.  Thanks.  

I guess Ill stop looking at new gear for a bit more.Keep running my old Eclipse and fairly new Kenwood HUs and Old USA Made amps for a while... Its all about Taxes for one, and Labor cost, as well as material cost.😞

I know for sure that those TCL Tvs are Junk..Had to return 3 in 2 month period to get a decent one that works for one my nephews for a birthday gift. If this one has issues Ill be trashing it and pulling out my old Tube Zenith..He may not like it, but at least I know that joker still works.. and he could use the top of it for a desk..😲LOL

I know for sure that those TCL Tvs are Junk..Had to return 3 in 2 month period to get a decent one that works for one my nephews for a birthday gift. If this one has issues Ill be trashing it and pulling out my old Tube Zenith..He may not like it, but at least I know that joker still works.. and he could use the top of it for a desk..😲LOL
TVs are one thing and mobile electroncis are another. TCL has been making mobile electronics for a while too and mostly known for their ODM presence in the cell phone market. They more recently got into TVs and mostly how folks in the US have come to know of them. The hardware is about what you'd expect once you start digging into quality. I would not be surprised if you see brand new Pioneer devices drop in their starting price soon. However they could have a whole other plan and surprise everyone but it's doubtful. 

As much as I hate the fact that reputable brands from many countries end up being assembled and made in China.  There is a few factors that pushes the world economy to take the approach;

• The current market trend - with new cars coming out with integrated head units, and better premium sound systems, the car audio market has taken a massive blow to its merchandise;
  • The new generation are not as 'hands on' with taking on modifying their current rides, perhaps too lazy to start on the task;
  • Most electronics are now made in China, from white goods to hi-fi equipment and its cheaper then buying high end Italian / European electronics;
  • With the internet, everyone is looking for a bargain,  so even if you are selling something that was worth a lot about 20 years ago, does not mean jack to the consumer today;
  • The audio collectors that were keen to buy and keep vintage or old gear are approaching retirement so they rather sell the gear at a loss then to take them to the tip;
  • It has become a challenge to find a reputable audio / electronics repairer and even when you do, they may not decide to repair your old A/D/S power plate amplifier;
  • Many smaller organisations are being bought out by bigger companies in order to survive the market;
  • Technology has changed so its cheaper to manufacture power and more efficient ways of cooling subwoofers;
  • Most subwoofer sold today would take much smaller enclosure compared to the old school Earthquake and Cerwin Vega subwoofers which took up all your trunk space;
Another example is Soundstream Technologies, that was one of the big brands, along with Cerwin Vega, Hifonics, MB Quart, Precision Power (PPI) just to name a few, they are all bought out by other companies and their gear may not have to same technology as they did 20 years ago;

I loved the old school Boston Acoustics car speakers and I was heart-broken to realise they were going to stop production.

People like a simple sound bar and a subwoofer instead of huge speakers and subwoofers in their lounge rooms since space cost money so they are living in smaller homes.

What is concerning when things are made in China is the consideration of a research and development area where additional budget is allocated so the products are reliable.  With the current 'throw away' market, if the product breaks then it can be replaced or just thrown away with the dying trend of electronic technicians all over the world. 

So is Pioneer divided into different divisions or is Pioneer just all of it? Mobile electronics is one side of Pioneer, so is home audio, DJ equipment, mp3 players, etc.  Some companies only sell the rights to their name to other makers which could be bad or good. Just look at Nokia. Their mobile division dissolved to nothing 4-6 years ago, but were brought back under HMD. But that is a whole other news report...

I guess my point is, does Pioneer's name only stay around, or does their IP/Patents and other years of tech also get used and re-branded some how? I honestly never read much into the details of the buy out, only just know that it is happening.

^

^

This is the part I would be more concerned about.

Slapping stuff together on a line is one thing. Designing/engineering it or innovating what gets slapped together is another. 

Pretty much this. We will just have to wait and see.
TCL has some of the highest rated tvs at their price point, could be good news seeing as how everything they make is "smart" too. Maybe we will finally see a deck with a halfway decent processor in it

sounds like you had serious run of bad luck man. i sold those at sams for over a year and had zero come back and we sold tons of them. we had samsungs, lgs, tons of hitachis, a few vizios and a sharp or two come back for various reasons, but zero tcl's. none.

on top of that, go watch some reviews of them maybe this one in particular. This guy sis a nerds nerd and picks it apart and can hardly find any flaws with it for the price range. https://youtu.be/7P56QEcFUuE

TCL has some of the highest rated tvs at their price point, could be good news seeing as how everything they make is "smart" too. Maybe we will finally see a deck with a halfway decent processor in it

sounds like you had serious run of bad luck man. i sold those at sams for over a year and had zero come back and we sold tons of them. we had samsungs, lgs, tons of hitachis, a few vizios and a sharp or two come back for various reasons, but zero tcl's. none.

on top of that, go watch some reviews of them maybe this one in particular. This guy sis a nerds nerd and picks it apart and can hardly find any flaws with it for the price range. https://youtu.be/7P56QEcFUuE
Nah man.  I disagree.  If Samsung bough Pioneer I would be agreeing with you. Samsung can fabricate and design from the ground up just about anything themselves.  But like mentioned before, we will have to wait and see.

Nah man.  I disagree.  If Samsung bough Pioneer I would be agreeing with you. Samsung can fabricate and design from the ground up just about anything themselves.  But like mentioned before, we will have to wait and see.
ill hope against hope that they do the same thing with pioneer decks that they did with the led panels and the chipset the attached to it and got a very basic yet functional operating system to control the whole thing like they did with their tvs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.