Questionable Amplifiers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Craig Alexander

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi All,

I recently got myself a SoloBaric L7 15. I don't have much $ so I'm shopping around for a decent/cheap 750rms + amp.

I'm wondering what everyones take on the "Kenwood-KAC-PS917D" is.

You can find it on ebay and through a few other resellers but no other info on it, no reviews on google, no reviews on youtube, can't seem to find it on the kenwood website. Is it actually made by kenwood or some bootleg knockoff?

Another one i was considering was the "fusion Pf-8001d" did anyone have any experience with this? Fusion has discontinued its car audio stuff but these still float around.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I recently got myself a SoloBaric L7 15. I don't have much $ so I'm shopping around for a decent/cheap 750rms + amp.

I'm wondering what everyones take on the "Kenwood-KAC-PS917D" is.

You can find it on ebay and through a few other resellers but no other info on it, no reviews on google, no reviews on youtube, can't seem to find it on the kenwood website. Is it actually made by kenwood or some bootleg knockoff?

Another one i was considering was the "fusion Pf-8001d" did anyone have any experience with this? Fusion has discontinued its car audio stuff but these still float around.

Thanks in advance.
The kenwood kac series are junk if you want a kenwood I would only consider the excellon series. I don’t know much about fusion other then it was an entry level brand made in an era where entry level stuff didn’t excel like some of the cheap stuff made today. 

A decent cheap 750 +/- would be a sq s1-850, pioneer 8601, audiopipe apmi 1500 or 2000 might be a good choice if you want to either add another l7 someday. There are several other great ones but this is what I would look at 

MattinMO said:
The kenwood kac series are junk if you want a kenwood I would only consider the excellon series. I don’t know much about fusion other then it was an entry level brand made in an era where entry level stuff didn’t excel like some of the cheap stuff made today. 

A decent cheap 750 +/- would be a sq s1-850, pioneer 8601, audiopipe apmi 1500 or 2000 might be a good choice if you want to either add another l7 someday. There are several other great ones but this is what I would look at 
Hi MattinMo,

Thanks so much for the response mate it's the kind i was looking for, it would seem the 8601 is the best value for money.

My concern was underpowering the Sub because the 8601 2ohm RMS is 500wat and the sub is 1000wat RMS. I've heard it can mess the sub up if its being fed less than 75% of the RMS of the sub?

Thanks Again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi MattinMo,

Thanks so much for the response mate it's the kind i was looking for, it would seem the 8601 is the best value for money.

My concern was underpowering the Sub because the 8601 2ohm RMS is 500wat and the sub is 1000wat RMS. I've heard it can mess the sub up if its being fed less than 75% of the RMS of the sub?

Thanks Again!
Yes, if you are trying to pull more power than the amp is capable of you will be clipping. Idk what your budget is but for a 1000rms sub I’d be looking for at LEAST a 1500watt amp. Then you can push the sub without maxing our your amp.

Yes, if you are trying to pull more power than the amp is capable of you will be clipping. Idk what your budget is but for a 1000rms sub I’d be looking for at LEAST a 1500watt amp. Then you can push the sub without maxing our your amp.
Even after rise I wouldn’t put a 1500 on a newer L7. Kicker has gone to comeplete **** especially in the last 10 years 

Hi MattinMo,

Thanks Again!
Neither of the original brands/series you first listed even make rated and you’re worried about underpowering?

^^That skar amp is a good choice. Any 1200-1500 watt amp. What's your budget? This will help us lead you to the right direction.

maybe i missed it, but did the op mention what coils the sub has?

also he used the word mate, which may indicate that he isnt in the usa, and if so, his shopping list might be somewhat limited in comparison to ours.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.