Honda Accord radio thump noise and cuts out

jogogonne

CarAudio.com Newbie
2012 Honda Accord, stock radio.

I will be driving and all of a sudden I'll hear a loud pop/thump and the radio will cut out. The screen will still be visible and I can still switch between CD/AUX/FM/AM, but no sound.

If I park and turn off the car and restart, it will be back in action as normal until the next time it happens which is getting to be frequent.

This happened around the period where I put on an external Bluetooth, which is just plugged into aux jack, probably not cause, but worth mentioning I guess.

I've googled and some people say speakers. I don't think it's speakers because after the thump/noise, I will use tuner for FM/AM radio and it keeps searching as if there was no antenna. Then, when I park, restart, and try again, tuning to FM/AM radio goes back to normal.

Any ideas? I don't mind spending some $ to get this fixed, but I don't want to replace something and have that not be the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there mate! 

Thanks for raising your issue here. :)

Looks like you have some loose wires that is coming in contact with the vehicle chassis causing a short circuit. Possible steps you should take:

• check behind the head unit to ensure all wires are secure and are insulated;
  • check all speaker connections to ensure strong contact and terminals insulated;
  • check speaker wires for old fryied or broken wires causing the issue;
  • if possible, replace all speaker wires to the head unit;
  • If you are not competent to attend to the task then best to leave it to a professional to rectify it for you; :uhoh:
Let us know how you go mate!

youdoofus said:
@keep_hope_alive isnt this the same year accord you did your most recent build in?
I have a 2014.  The 2013+ are totally different from the 2012 model (which are the last of the 8th gen).

A fully stock radio shouldn't have issues like this.  Sometimes, external factors are at play but usually it is a defect within the unit itself.  What kind of bluetooth adapter did you install?  link or pics?

If the factory radio has never been removed, it is highly unlikely there are any wiring issues behind the radio and removing it to check can introduce problems.  If the speakers have never been removed and are also factory then they won't be loose.  Factory wiring is superior to anything a shop or hobbyist can do since the termination quality is so high.\

If the speakers have been replaced or the components have been removed at any time in the car's life, then the post above should be followed.

The speakers in the trunk are the only exposed components and the wiring back there can be compromised from objects in the trunk,  Pay careful attention to the connections at the rear speakers and the tinsel leads going to the voice coil - the exposed wires inside the speaker basket. It is possible for them to be pushed and close, causing a short.

Hi there.

Thank you so much for the replies and sorry for the delay in response. First off, no work ever done of the car audio, all stock.

So, same issue still persisting. Even with the Bluetooth disconnected, the radio will all of a sudden give off a loud thump and then die (LCD still lit). Turning on and off doesn't do squat, but restarting the ignition will. Obviously I cannot do this while driving.

I know it is not speakers because the radio tuner will not work after the thump.  In other words, after the thump the tuner only goes up one number as if you were in the boonies and had no reception.  Also interesting to note, one time, after the thump, there was a loud beep coming from the radio like emergency broadcast, that persisted until I was able to pull over and shut off ignition but that only happened once.

Also, I have no problem paying for a new radio, but I fear that if the problem is not the radio, I'll just have the same problem and be out the $ I spent to put in a new radio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Hi there.

Thank you so much for the replies and sorry for the delay in response. First off, no work ever done of the car audio, all stock.

So, same issue still persisting. Even with the Bluetooth disconnected, the radio will all of a sudden give off a loud thump and then die (LCD still lit). Turning on and off doesn't do squat, but restarting the ignition will. Obviously I cannot do this while driving.

I know it is not speakers because the radio tuner will not work after the thump.  In other words, after the thump the tuner only goes up one number as if you were in the boonies and had no reception.  Also interesting to note, one time, after the thump, there was a loud beep coming from the radio like emergency broadcast, that persisted until I was able to pull over and shut off ignition but that only happened once.

Also, I have no problem paying for a new radio, but I fear that if the problem is not the radio, I'll just have the same problem and be out the $ I spent to put in a new radio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
i dont own one of these cars, but if it has a factory bose system, the factory amp could be experiencing some issues

8th generation accord factory amp location shown in this thread

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/51-8th-generation/66793-where-factory-amp-located-premium-audio.html

I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same problem. (2011 SE 4 cyl. /w 410k miles. No mods to stereo or amp. Radio reception goes out, loud pop on speakers, then nothing. Restarting used to work sometimes. Definitely a short/ grounding problem with amp & possibly radio antenna?

I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same problem. (2011 SE 4 cyl. /w 410k miles. No mods to stereo or amp. Radio reception goes out, loud pop on speakers, then nothing. Restarting used to work sometimes. Definitely a short/ grounding problem with amp & possibly radio antenna?
With that many miles on a vehicle and never checking for secured connections, I would check all grounds to make sure they are secure. Even so, if there is enough length on them(I usually install approx 3-6" longer) to cut back to fresh clean copper with new lug or terminals. I check all my wiring connections every 6 months from top to bottom and tighten whats needed ect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...