Hissing sound and static when car is running

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ven0m

CarAudio.com Recruit
Ok, so I installed a boss phantom 3700 5 channel in my car (I know, boss is generally garbage but I got a decent deal on it) anyway when I turn the key to battery on there is a slight hissing sound which only occurs when the input sensitivity is set to 200mv setting and goes away when I select the 2v to 8v setting, but I'm using RCA inputs so I would really like to use the 200mv setting as it is much louder. When I start the car there is static noise which is extremely annoying, this gets louder as I raise the volume, the hissing stays a constant volume no matter what volume the HU is set on. I don't believe it is a alternator issue as it doesn't change pitch with rpm. I have the power wire to amp on the driver side and the rca wires on passenger side, to try to avoid interference. Could this be a grounding issue? Any advice would be great. 

Hey mate, as you stated, Boss amps are not the cleanest and if you have been following car audio for a while they were not a good product to purchase as their performance were always over-inflated for marketing purposes.

Anyway, getting back to your issue, I suggest:

• checking your power and ground wire / upgrade it as you have not stated what you are currently using;
  • check you have good grounding point as you have a ground loop issue;
  • Use a multimeter to check good ground *(resistance)
  • Try another amp out to see if the problem remains after doing the above, if it does, then the culprit is definitely your amplifier
Let us know how you go mate!

1389395883349.jpg

Forgot to add, it could also be your head unit as well,  You did not mention what you are currently using but if it is stock they you will most likely have this issue.  If you try the another amp and you still have this issue, then it may be time to consider replacing your head unit within your time and budget permitting. :rolleyes:

Checkyou ground and make sure its a bare metal connection without any paint and a solid connection.Your ground wire needs be be the same size as your power wiring to be fairly solid.Majority HUs accept 2v on up as well as any after market amplifier through RCAs signal matching for a cleaner signal.If you have a Pioneer HU and swapped or hooked up your RCAs with your HU in the on position with the amplifier in the on position, it is possible that you may have blown the PICO Fuse in that HU. You can search for how to place grounding techniques on how to try to solve the noise issue on You Tube /ect..Try a new ground first.You may even try a new set of RCAs across the seats just to rue out the RCAs as well. They are Cheap to replace if bad.

I have 0 gauge from battery to a 2.5 farad cap, and 5 guage from the cap to the amp. the amp is grounded to the cap, which is grounded to the chassis using 0 gauge. I didn't sand down the paint or anything, so i guess ill try that next. the HU shouldnt be the issue as its a fairly new pioneer NEX. i plan on adding a second amp solemnly for the subs. and was also wondering if it would be ok to use the cap as a distribution block?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.