Sub to replace SSSA XCON?

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
Have two SSA XCON 12's and have had many problems. One started making a rattling noise on higher frequencies and the other one had a tinsel lead break. I soldered the tinsel back but it keeps breaking every couple months. I'm fed up with them since I set my gain perfectly.

Anyways what would replace them well? They worked fine for me when they worked. Looking for loud with the ability to play all frequencies. Will be used for daily music, no numbers, on a Rockford fosgate T2500-1bdcp (3300rms on birthsheet).

Cant be a sub that requires small boxes. My box is around 4.6 cubes after displacement at 33hz

Have two SSA XCON 12's and have had many problems. One started making a rattling noise on higher frequencies and the other one had a tinsel lead break. I soldered the tinsel back but it keeps breaking every couple months. I'm fed up with them since I set my gain perfectly.

Anyways what would replace them well? They worked fine for me when they worked. Looking for loud with the ability to play all frequencies. Will be used for daily music, no numbers, on a Rockford fosgate T2500-1bdcp (3300rms on birthsheet).

Cant be a sub that requires small boxes. My box is around 4.6 cubes after displacement at 33hz
I suggest a recone first.  Would also address the enclosure they are in, if it is right for them.

I suggest a recone first.  Would also address the enclosure they are in, if it is right for them.
I wrote that the box is 4.6 cubes tuned to 33 hz, should have worked fine. From what I remember from the box recommendations when these subs were available my box was almost perfect, just low on port area probably. 50 square inches of port. 12.5"x4".

I had an issue with the sub on the left after only a month. Started making a rattling noise on high frequencies. I just settled with it cuz I have more important things to spend money on. Then a year later the other sub has a tinsel snap. These subs never got warm. I played them conservatively, but they both had completely random f**k ups. If the left sub started rattling, why didnt the right sub? If the right sub had a tinsel lead snap, why didnt the left sub? It's too random and unpredictable for me and I'm bitter and dont want to support the brand anymore. I ran alpine type-r's and kicker cvr's for years with no issues and I got used to that so I'm not happy with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote that the box is 4.6 cubes tuned to 33 hz, should have worked fine. From what I remember from the box recommendations when these subs were available my box was almost perfect, just low on port area probably. 50 square inches of port. 12.5"x4".

I had an issue with the sub on the left after only a month. Started making a rattling noise on high frequencies. I just settled with it cuz I have more important things to spend money on. Then a year later the other sub has a tinsel snap. These subs never got warm. I played them conservatively, but they both had completely random f**k ups. If the left sub started rattling, why didnt the right sub? If the right sub had a tinsel lead snap, why didnt the left sub? It's too random and unpredictable for me and I'm bitter and dont want to support the brand anymore. I ran alpine type-r's and kicker cvr's for years with no issues and I got used to that so I'm not happy with this.
Seeing that those are not normal issues and not something we have heard from customers in the past, I don't think it is cause for bailing on the brand.  We still have customers running Icons from 2006 with zero issues, and Xcons from 2009 with no issues.  We have customers with 2500 watts on their Xcons in boxes not meant for Xcons with no issues.  You are not going to get the CS level or be able to talk directly to the owner of Alpine or Kicker.  A recone is probably the best and most affordable option.  The number of spiders is only partially related to the suspension stiffness.  We had moved from 5 to 4 spiders as the 5 was a 3 mid 2 firm stack and the 4 became a 4 firm stack IIRC.

DylanBeatz said:
You're saying rebuild a box and get recones? Btw they already had 5 progressive spiders 

Anybody got any other sub recommendations?
Larger boxes require more mechanical control to maintain power handling. Using stiffer spiders would give you more dampening over the mass in the larger box. If you wanted to use that same box maybe denim can put a stiffer spider pack for u so the woofer is more ideal in that enclosure.

dont want to support the brand anymore. I ran alpine type-r's and kicker cvr's for years with no issues and I got used to that so I'm not happy with this.
Probably an install/settings error on your part to be honest. Have never heard of any SSA sub issue that you've described and to no surprise neither has the owner of the company. 

LOL at "i'll support kicker CRV but not SSA" 

Your best bet is a recone, i'm sure Aaron would give you a good price as well 

Larger boxes require more mechanical control to maintain power handling. Using stiffer spiders would give you more dampening over the mass in the larger box. If you wanted to use that same box maybe denim can put a stiffer spider pack for u so the woofer is more ideal in that enclosure.
My box was right in the recommended enclosure specs, so was not extra big.

Probably an install/settings error on your part to be honest. Have never heard of any SSA sub issue that you've described and to no surprise neither has the owner of the company. 

LOL at "i'll support kicker CRV but not SSA" 

Your best bet is a recone, i'm sure Aaron would give you a good price as well 
Well guess I just had shitty luck then, I didn't set anything wrong. And if I did both subs would have ended up with the same problem because both subs are in the same single chamber box and they're both on the same mono amp. But no, each sub has a completely different unique problem, which means it's random as f**k.

I don't understand why nobody recommended any other subs to me lol but anyways I got some brand new Dark Audio Industries DKI 12's on the way, will be here tomorrow. They were barely more than the price of 2 recones for the xcons and I don't have to spend any time doing a recone which I have no idea how to do. I'm super excited to have loud bass again tomorrow

Good luck sounds like you simply had a glue joint break on the first rattling sub and tinsle lead breakage is usually from running the sub well below the boxes running causing the sub to essentially be in free air by syncing up with the air in the port otherwise known as unloading

This can happen to one sub and not the other simple by which one is closer to the port

Good luck sounds like you simply had a glue joint break on the first rattling sub and tinsle lead breakage is usually from running the sub well below the boxes running causing the sub to essentially be in free air by syncing up with the air in the port otherwise known as unloading

This can happen to one sub and not the other simple by which one is closer to the port
They were both same distance from port. And u meant below the boxes tuning? I dont play screwed or rebassed music so idk

20181203_130922.jpg

I mean you're running a pair of 12s with the port of almost a single 12 lol. It doesnt matter if you dont play rebassed or chopped music. You dip into mid 20hz full tilt especially with the port area you have something is going to rip or break. SSA makes great products and i know a guy runing a pair of zcon on a 5500 for the past 5 years no issues. Im saying this is user error. 

I mean you're running a pair of 12s with the port of almost a single 12 lol. It doesnt matter if you dont play rebassed or chopped music. You dip into mid 20hz full tilt especially with the port area you have something is going to rip or break. SSA makes great products and i know a guy runing a pair of zcon on a 5500 for the past 5 years no issues. Im saying this is user error. 
Whatever man, l just installed my Dark audio Industries DKI's and they slam. Sound just as good as the XCON's. Was surprised honestly. Since people say the XCON's have great sound quality. XCON's do sound great but these new subs sound just as good im pretty sure, its crazy. And i really think they might be louder, honestly, its intense. Hard to remember for sure though since it's been 2 weeks since i had both of my XCON's playing at the same time. Only had 1 working since then. I will meter these new subs though to find out for sure if theyre louder. My XCON's hit 144.6db at 43 hz.

These new subs hit the lows, upper 20 hz region a little harder than XCON's but they don't hit the higher range of around 50hz and up quite as loud. Still plays it though and im happy with them. 

And they got stitched tinsel leads into the spider so i know they wont break. I guess we'll see how they last compared to the XCON's but i think it will be better. Cant really be much worse. And it's crazy these cost half the price of the XCON's, literally half the price. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.