Single Cab Truck

Tactical enigma

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys very new to the car audio world. I have a single cab Silverado and have ordered a  dual 10 inch box from subthump. My question is I was wanting to run the jl audio 10w0v3-4 in it. The box states that it has . 85 cubic feet per sub however the 10w0v3-4 states that it only needs . 65

Woukd this affect sound quality/longevity of the subwoofer. Also at 300 rms per sub, is there a good Amp recommended from the experts?

Sorry for the noob questions and appreciate all of the knowledge on this forum

Justin

is there a good Amp recommended from the experts?
If you like JL and have the budget 500/1 is the best selling amp of all time and a rock solid ballsy little 500X1.   They're spendy but they're very much proven performers.   Honestly I'd stick to the mainstream brands for <1000W size.   Kicker, Rockford, Alpine, JBL should all have good options for you.  Be sure to pick one that delivers it's power into 2 ohm.  There may be some cheaper options that others can share and if you're really tight there's Big Blank's youtube channel where he reviews a lot of inexpensive amps.

If you like JL and have the budget 500/1 is the best selling amp of all time and a rock solid ballsy little 500X1.   They're spendy but they're very much proven performers.   Honestly I'd stick to the mainstream brands for <1000W size.   Kicker, Rockford, Alpine, JBL should all have good options for you.  Be sure to pick one that delivers it's power into 2 ohm.  There may be some cheaper options that others can share and if you're really tight there's Big Blank's youtube channel where he reviews a lot of inexpensive amps.
Is there any disadvantage to running the Amp at full Power pushing 250 rms to each jl audio 10w0v3-4 

Is there any disadvantage to running the Amp at full Power pushing 250 rms to each jl audio 10w0v3-4 
No there is no real disadvantage with the 500/1 slash amp. This is mainly because the regulated power supply can keep the power fairly consistent as the ohm load constantly changes due to box rise.

That said dont worry about box rise it wont matter for your install.

Honestly for you system I wouldnt start with mid level jl audio as they cost a bit for what you are getting .

In that range I would prefer a set of Memphis power reference line with 2 10s and there 600w amp.  

It something that is sold at shops in high volumes for a reason. It works well for a beginner system

You haven't given us a budget but if you gave us a number we could work around it

My personal truck has jl in it but if I did it all over again I'd run 2 10inch sundown audio sd3 subs on a budget 1-1200w amp. Pioneer makes a cheap one that works well as does JBL, infinity and many others

I guess if I had to throw a number out there it would be 600 t0 700 ish. I haveseen the Sundown audio subs recommended and saw Memphis in my local speaker shop. I'm not dead set on jl audio, I just want something that is going to be well rounded as I have a wide spectrum of mucical interests. When I am feeling it I would love something that would hit me in the face.I am open minded for sure and definitely willing to listen to all of you. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge on this endeavor 

Last edited by a moderator:
2 10w0s aren't going to hit you in the face lol... I havent been real impressed with any subs from Memphis. Had 3-4 different versions never "loved" any of them

Buddy in high school had 4 10w1s in a single cab on a 1500.1 it was pretty sweet. 

2 10w0s aren't going to hit you in the face lol... I havent been real impressed with any subs from Memphis. Had 3-4 different versions never "loved" any of them

Buddy in high school had 4 10w1s in a single cab on a 1500.1 it was pretty sweet. 
In the $700 you aren't going to get much hit in the face.

OP if you remove the center seat and build a console box you can easily fit a nice 12 in that space ported.

Throw a nice 12 like the sundown sa12 on 750-1000w in the right box and it will be much more impressive then 2 10s sealed.

My 1 12inch eclipse aluminum in a proper box on 1200 watts was just as loud as my 2 13s on 1200w. Granted I now have a back seat and thec13s tend to be louder when playing lower notes

That's really interesting about the middle console. I had never considered that. 

So it sounds like I'm not going to get to an aggressive punch level, however would the 2 behind the seat 10" (brands not decided) deliver at least a solid hit. Maybe rear view wiggle a little? 

As I stated before, I am new to car audio and have a pioneer mvh-s600bs in my truck right now wired to 2 bazooka bass 6.5 powered. 

Was looking for a harder thump than those provide. For now I am planning to use the double 10 box I bought from subthump. I don't want to buy the jl w0 if there are betters in the same range. Also I am not opposed to going up to 250 or so a sub 

Thank you all in advance 

As a side note the stereo installation guy offered to buy the bass tubes from me. Why would this be? 

I had two Sundown SA-8s on a 1200 and 1 cubic foot ported box in my regular cab Ford Lightning and loved them. No one would guess it was just two 8s.

That's really interesting about the middle console. I had never considered that. 

So it sounds like I'm not going to get to an aggressive punch level, however would the 2 behind the seat 10" (brands not decided) deliver at least a solid hit. Maybe rear view wiggle a little? 

As I stated before, I am new to car audio and have a pioneer mvh-s600bs in my truck right now wired to 2 bazooka bass 6.5 powered. 

Was looking for a harder thump than those provide. For now I am planning to use the double 10 box I bought from subthump. I don't want to buy the jl w0 if there are betters in the same range. Also I am not opposed to going up to 250 or so a sub 

Thank you all in advance 

As a side note the stereo installation guy offered to buy the bass tubes from me. Why would this be? 
What year silverado? I built a pretty sweet console box for a 04 yukon that had a single RE SE10 in it on a JBL 600.1 it was a pretty solid setup.

If I were you, I would browse craigslist and find a pair of 10s and a amp for 2-300 used. And save the extra money you were gonna spend. Listen to it for a while and it will give you an idea of what you might want to upgrade to later. Then just sell the used stuff for a similar price as what you paid for it and upgrade.

I did a budget setup in a buddies 05 single cab, single 15" skar VD behind the seat in a ported box. On a budget JBL 500.1. The sub, amp, and wood was like 250 combined lol. Stupid deal.

OK guys! You have all been very helpful in deciding the best setup for my 2003 single cab Silverado. I have one final question:

I have decided to go with the dual 10 w0v3_4 jls in a sealed box from subthump with an alpine mrv m500 Amp driving them

I know you guys probably think bazooka is junk but after the installer wired them (2 6 inch bazooka tubes) up I got some really decent bass. 

What am I to expect going from 2 100 watt 6inch bazooka to 2 10inch with a 500 watt amp sealed. 

Will the jls be able to put out as much sound? Or am I compromising in areas? 

So sorry for the noob questions 

OK guys! You have all been very helpful in deciding the best setup for my 2003 single cab Silverado. I have one final question:

I have decided to go with the dual 10 w0v3_4 jls in a sealed box from subthump with an alpine mrv m500 Amp driving them

I know you guys probably think bazooka is junk but after the installer wired them (2 6 inch bazooka tubes) up I got some really decent bass. 

What am I to expect going from 2 100 watt 6inch bazooka to 2 10inch with a 500 watt amp sealed. 

You should be louder but the big question I'd can the jl subs dig deep in a sealed enclosure. In this case the oversized box will help.

You will likely be happy with your planned setup. 

In the future you may want to look into the stereo integrity bm mkiv pr the alpine type r shallow mount. If you want to keep the same box. 

If you go custom you can fit 2 8s ported behind the seat as well as 1 12 ported

Should be a solid starter setup. 

Going from 2 bazooka's to 2 10s, you should be happy. Wont be a downgrade in any way other than loss of storage room.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.