Android head unit installed - no sound from rear speakers

King Mustard

Car Audio Beginner
I have a Peugeot 308 (2012).

This is the head unit.

These are some of the specifications:

• Rockchip PX5 (2017)
  • STMicroelectronics TDA7388 audio power amplifier (2013)
  • STMicroelectronics TDA7786 AM/FM funer (2016)
Please see the following photo:

eb_carstereowiring1.jpg

When it comes to the "RCA" section, I only have F connected.

All seven cables for F have a female RCA connector.

Only green is currently being used (for my subwoofer).

• AV-OUT (1) (yellow)
  • AV-OUT (2) (yellow)
  • FL OUT (white)
  • RL OUT (white)
  • FR OUT (red)
  • RR OUT (red)
  • Subwoofer (green)
I am currently getting sound out of my front speakers and my subwoofer but there is not much coming out of the rear speakers. They're not totally silent, they're about 2-3%-volume "static"-type sound.

If I connect the original, basic Peugeot stereo, I get sound out of the front and rear speakers. This suggests the "Power" section cables alone can do both; though they're not working for my new head unit.

Connected to the "Power" section is a ton of cabling. This is some of it:

• AUX IN L (white) - RCA male (not currently in use)
  • AUX IN R (red) - RCA male (not currently in use)
  • BACK V IN (yellow) - RCA female (not currently in use)
I have spliced the AUTO ANT with the subwoofer, so that the subwoofer switches on.

From that information, does anyone know why I may not be getting sound out of the rear speakers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mate,

I suggest you take the unit out and bench test it to see if it works and if the problem still persists, then most likely could be a faulty head unit. Your initial test using the stock unit and it all works kinda proves the possibility of the unit being faulty.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and with cheaper gear, there may be no quality control or even a research and development section for cost cutting point so I would not be surprised if the unit is faulty.  Take it out and bench test it mate and get a replacement. There is no reason why it would not work connect with 4 speakers being run of the head unit.

How is your subwoofer hooked up? It should be connected by rca yo ab external amplifier leaving both rear speaker channels to power rear speakers.

And the blue and the red shouldnt br connected. The blue wire should only be connected to the amplifier remote turn on and the red to a keyed ignition source.

The blue wire will automatically get 12v once the radio turns on.

Hey mate,

I suggest you take the unit out and bench test it to see if it works and if the problem still persists, then most likely could be a faulty head unit. Your initial test using the stock unit and it all works kinda proves the possibility of the unit being faulty.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and with cheaper gear, there may be no quality control or even a research and development section for cost cutting point so I would not be surprised if the unit is faulty.  Take it out and bench test it mate and get a replacement. There is no reason why it would not work connect with 4 speakers being run of the head unit.
The past few days whilst researching this, I've been told that the rear speakers in modern Peugeot cars need amplifiers (or an amplified signal?); something along those lines. I went to an auto mechanic a few days ago and he said the same thing and that he'd need to run RCA cables from the rear speakers into the head unit. I was hoping to get clarification here before he went ahead with that, as it's likely the stock Peugeot stereo will no longer work if he does that (he mentioned having to cut or splice the current cables to the rear speakers).

I bought this head unit because it was designed for my car (fits perfectly (see photograph below), is the right (matching) color and supports my steering wheel media controls). I also bought it because it was full-fat Android 8.0, meaning support all kinds of widgets (e.g. media, OBD readouts etc.), full Play Store etc.

The head unit cost me £250, which isn't cheap in its own right and I couldn't find anything close for that kind of money; especially one that physically matches so well.

20180509_070335 Peugeot 308.jpg

How is your subwoofer hooked up? It should be connected by rca yo ab external amplifier leaving both rear speaker channels to power rear speakers.

And the blue and the red shouldnt br connected. The blue wire should only be connected to the amplifier remote turn on and the red to a keyed ignition source.

The blue wire will automatically get 12v once the radio turns on.
The subwoofer is powered directly by the battery and the remote turn on is connected to the AUTO ANT wire on the Power loom. It gets its input from an RCA cable going into F.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the blue wire, red wire, ignition source etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, it makes sense now. You have a European car and they have better stereo then just generic Japanese cars :)

If that is the advise you got from the dealer then it would be correct.  So you car comes with dedicated stock amps to run a subwoofer as well.  That is good news but if you are trying to get more out of your sound system then you may have to seek an amplifier from the dealer to suit your car as it will not work with aftermarket amps unless you get advice it will.  I have noticed many stock amplifiers of European cars appear on Ebay  but since they have different connections and plugs, they are only to be used with the designated cars.

Alternatively, you may seek advice from reputable car audio shops to remedy your issue and they may have a better impression as they deal with different cars on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

Hope it works out for you mate, You mentioned pounds for your head unit so you are in UK right?

You can splice the subwoofer 1 left 1 right to the rear left and right radio outputs this should assuming the common 4 ohm speaker impedance bring the ohm load down to 2ohms which should be safe for the radio. 

That said a small dedicated amplifier would prolly br the more proper way to do it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.