In my situation, is upgrading to W7 worth it?

peacebay

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone,

First off to start, I listen to all genres of music, and mostly prioritize sound quality over earth shattering bass that you can hear from blocks away. That being said, sometimes when I'm in the mood for some Bassnectar or Jeezy I like to have some serious bass on reserve. 

About a year ago I installed what I think is a pretty respectable system in my Lexus LS430. It's got an Alpine ILX-207 head unit with Focal speakers up front, Infinity Kappas in the rear, both powered by an Alpine 4 channel amp. In the trunk I have a JL 12W6v2 powered by a Rockford 500/1. Pretty muc the whole car has been sound deadened.

My issue is this -- I just got offered a JL 12w7 for stupid cheap and I basically cannot pass it up. My only reservation is that to my understanding this thing would need at minimum ~800 RMS and I definitely am not willing to upgrade or in any way modify my Lexus' electrical system (stock alternator is 130 amps). As of right now the lights don't dim whatsoever even when the bass hits. Do you think I'll need to upgrade my electrical to power this sub? In the same vein, for those who have owned both the W6 and W7, is it worth the extra money I'll need to spend for another box and amplifier? Thanks in advance.

image.png

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

Personally yes I would run the w7. But you also need a an amp capable of 1000w at 3ohms. Jl and their BS single 3ohm voice coils. I have a 12w6v2 in a 1.6 cube sealed box. It's pretty decent, but not enough for my uses. The 10w7 I put in a buddies box in 1.5 ported box was definitely better.

W7, ported box, feed it a good 1000W.   There should be a few options for 1000-1500@ 2 ohm (Kicker, JL, or assorted Brazilian offerings), all of which should get by on stock charging if you really aren't going hard on it all the time. 

Keep in mind if you're not going to buy/build a proper ported box you won't really get great results, and working out of a trunk is brutal.  You're leaving 5-6dB on the table vs the same gear in a hatchback or SUV or other open cabin type vehicle.

this brings up the conversation of porting thru the ski hole. 
Still heavily attenuates the wave coming off the cone which is still sealed off in the trunk and may pose phase issues.  Better would be 4th order ported through the ski hole.  I expect W7 would perform well enough in that alignment but box size may be impractical.

Still heavily attenuates the wave coming off the cone which is still sealed off in the trunk and may pose phase issues.  Better would be 4th order ported through the ski hole.  I expect W7 would perform well enough in that alignment but box size may be impractical.
if he makes the box deeper than wider, it should work @shredder2 if you get a minute, maybe you could whip up something in the category of awesomesauce like you always do. 

Well I removed the stock 8 inch sub that was an infinite baffle on the rear deck, so there is an open hole going from the trunk into the cabin already. It’s covered by the stock sub grill so it still looks oem. 

Well I removed the stock 8 inch sub that was an infinite baffle on the rear deck, so there is an open hole going from the trunk into the cabin already. It’s covered by the stock sub grill so it still looks oem. 
ive replaced one of those back in the day with a rockford for a then-girlfriends dad. Sounded good enough for him, but it was a LS400. Wasnt sure if they continued putting those stock subs in the LS430s, but thats good info. If you get the W7, you should be able to get an aero port and have it mate up to the hole int he back dash and make that thing sound awesome. But yes, youll need more power for that W7 than what that rockford can produce, but an AGM battery and 0 gauge wire should get you the juice you need to sufficiently power 1 W7 and your fronts/rears. 

ive replaced one of those back in the day with a rockford for a then-girlfriends dad. Sounded good enough for him, but it was a LS400. Wasnt sure if they continued putting those stock subs in the LS430s, but thats good info. If you get the W7, you should be able to get an aero port and have it mate up to the hole int he back dash and make that thing sound awesome. But yes, youll need more power for that W7 than what that rockford can produce, but an AGM battery and 0 gauge wire should get you the juice you need to sufficiently power 1 W7 and your fronts/rears. 
sound nice in theory but falls flat on its face if not done perfectly by someone who really knows what they are doing.  Friend's altima tried it with cscstang and it was the worst performing configuration.

Thank you guys for the insight, I really appreciate it. I’m gonna go ahead with the W7 — shopping for an amp now that’s both small enough to fit into the place I hid my Rockford and powerful enough to drive this beast 

i wouldnt, id run the w6 and take the rear dash speakers out, it will let the bass vent into the cabin better

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.