Sunfire sub

Participant count
  • Participants list

youdoofus

Skibidi
so, a buddy of mine is having some issues with his Sunfire xteq 10" sub and brought it to me to look at for him. Its shutting down after he beats on it for a while, but thats not why im posting this. I took the driver out of the enclosure and HOLY $HIT that thing is beefy!! I neglected to take any pics of it, but i will. The passive radiator also looks like it has the transformer for the amp mounted to it. This thing is nuts!!

Pics or it didn't happen

20181211_072207.jpg

20181211_072213.jpg

imageuploadedbyavforums1437923410-613855-jpg.610046

i didnt get a pic of the transformer on the passive radiator as i was in a rush to leave the house this morning, but this is quite similar to what it looks like. Lots of power wires coming in and out of copper windings that are bolted to the back of the radiator. 

How's it sound? 
it sounds like a whole lot of nothing without a wall for it to load on, but with said wall, its pretty brutal for a tiny 12"x12"x12" cube. It also jumps around like a mexican jumping bean at full tilt, mind you this is while that 60 lb driver is in it. I remember selling the Sunfire True subs back at Ultimate Electronics and we would have to have a person stand on them to get the full bass out of em

it sounds like a whole lot of nothing without a wall for it to load on, but with said wall, its pretty brutal for a tiny 12"x12"x12" cube. It also jumps around like a mexican jumping bean at full tilt, mind you this is while that 60 lb driver is in it. I remember selling the Sunfire True subs back at Ultimate Electronics and we would have to have a person stand on them to get the full bass out of em
That is an awfully small box I suppose that's where the radiator comes in. I've never had a passive radiator set up why I asked..  just now getting into the home audio side of it. So I've been looking at stuff but I've not ran into anything by sunfire.

I've got to build some boxes for mine. Right now I've just got 1 15 box was built with car audio in mind. Pretty drastic change though going from a cheap 10" Yamaha though.

For $900 it should be freaking outstanding.

I took a $180 car sub and a Bash 500S, bulit a 4 cf box tuned to 25 iirc and the bass in my living room is ridiculous.  My dog hates me when we watch movies.

That is an awfully small box I suppose that's where the radiator comes in. I've never had a passive radiator set up why I asked..  just now getting into the home audio side of it. So I've been looking at stuff but I've not ran into anything by sunfire.

I've got to build some boxes for mine. Right now I've just got 1 15 box was built with car audio in mind. Pretty drastic change though going from a cheap 10" Yamaha though.
HAHAHA!! I bet its drastic! I have a Definitive Technology powered 10" in my living room and i love it. Theres always the want for more, but it provides serious rumble for movies and is pretty dang decent when i crank up some tunes while cooking and so forth.

I was the car audio manager at my local Ultimate Electronics in the early 2000s for 4 years and we sold Sunfire stuff, Def Tech, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Krell, KEF, B&W, Martin Logan etc etc. We had several rooms that had setups ranging in price, and the high end room had right around 100k in gear (Krell, Bowers and Wilkins, the ultra spendy monster cable on everything including the $2000 power conditioner). The mains and rears both looked like this 
616bwsp.promo_.jpg

and of course, there was a Sunfire True subwoofer. Listening to anything in there was nearly orgasmic

HAHAHA!! I bet its drastic! I have a Definitive Technology powered 10" in my living room and i love it. Theres always the want for more, but it provides serious rumble for movies and is pretty dang decent when i crank up some tunes while cooking and so forth.

I was the car audio manager at my local Ultimate Electronics in the early 2000s for 4 years and we sold Sunfire stuff, Def Tech, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Krell, KEF, B&W, Martin Logan etc etc. We had several rooms that had setups ranging in price, and the high end room had right around 100k in gear (Krell, Bowers and Wilkins, the ultra spendy monster cable on everything including the $2000 power conditioner). The mains and rears both looked like this 

and of course, there was a Sunfire True subwoofer. Listening to anything in there was nearly orgasmic
You could add another 10" double the rumble lol. It's crazy what you can spend on this stuff. About any hobby is like that though. Nice looking towers. should be for that price. Would've love to hear that set up..
I've finally decided to start updating mine starting with the low end. Fell into the Bose trap in the early 90s (didn't know any better) I've got those little cubes front and rear and their center ch speaker. Pretty sad when ya gotta add a sub just to get low end response. Not to mention the crappy high end response.They're a joke for what they cost. Never updated anything other then new receivers every few years. I'll slowly diy my way to replacing the bose...

You could add another 10" double the rumble lol. It's crazy what you can spend on this stuff. About any hobby is like that though. Nice looking towers. should be for that price. Would've love to hear that set up..
I've finally decided to start updating mine starting with the low end. Fell into the Bose trap in the early 90s (didn't know any better) I've got those little cubes front and rear and their center ch speaker. Pretty sad when ya gotta add a sub just to get low end response. Not to mention the crappy high end response.They're a joke for what they cost. Never updated anything other then new receivers every few years. I'll slowly diy my way to replacing the bose...
it is a process indeed! i had some bose (blows) cubes for my rear channels for a bit, but i ditched them and am not even running rears atm. My front stage consists of 2 pairs of B&W 2 way 6.5s and 1" tweeters. One pair has the original drivers from the early 80s but before i added the second pair, i left the computer on for the kiddos to have some fun and they blew the 6.5s, so i replaced them with some PRV 6.5s and they still sound d@mn good. Anyways, so i got the second set with all original equipment in them and i love the sound. My center channel is a Jamo that has 2 4" drivers and a 1.5" tweeter and its sick! The 4" drivers have phase plugs ;)  Source is a Denon AVR-1804 and i use my computer as its source, i also have a bluetooth receiver hooked up to it for when i just want to connect my phone while cooking and so forth.  needless to say, im pretty pleased with my living room setup. Oh, cant forget the def tech powered 10" sub.

Its a process getting the HT set up, but its fun and rewarding when youre watching tv or a movie. Hell, i dont even know if my tvs speakers even work, i never use them. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.