Test bench power supply

Participant count
  • Participants list

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Looking to put together a little test bench to test out dif amps and subs I buy off the used markets. Mostly testing older stuff for basic functionality not a full spectrum test. Won’t be testing anything over 1k probably not even close. I could use a spare battery on a float charger but I’ve seen people use computer power supply’s and cb radio power supply’s. Any experience with this? Will a computer or cb power supply be enough power? 

6 amps won't be enough... what budget are you trying to stay in?
Cheap af @bigblank69 but again I’m just looking to do basic functionality test not planning on drawing a bunch of current. Just want to power up amp and test on a coaxial at a low volume 

I use a Shumauker 200 amp battery charger and a nice AGM battery and test out just about anything just fine
I have an agm and a ton of charging options but don’t really want to tie up a battery 

I use cascade APS power supplies. They can be gained together in parallel with the same models for up to 6 for increased current. Regular battery chargers can produce some dirty power even on a battery. I learned that the hard way. http://cascadeaudio.com/power_converters/power_converters.htm These are used behind 12 volt electronics displays and in comp cars to power the amps when the car isn’t running. They also do a good job of charging a battery without over charging it so long as you keep the voltage on the lower setting. 

I have an ASP 30 I might be willing to sell. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Im in Australia so I use a AC/DC Converter which churns out 40amps and has enough juice to run two amps and a head unit. Loud enough for my garage needs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.