DS18? Newbie alert

Ethan Carlson

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey Audiophiles!! I'm looking to buy a fresh pair of subs and amp for my new car and came across these DS18, 2 12's with a built in amp, I'm on a bit of a budget but want to know what is right to look for! I figured this is the right place to come for help! 

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-BPX212A-Complete-Package-Enclosure/dp/B01LAXBKK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544320922&sr=8-1&keywords=BPX212A

BPX212A

Thank you
no, no, no.... just no. whats your budget and what is your bass goal? also what is your car? what wiring do you already have or intend on buying?

no, no, no.... just no. whats your budget and what is your bass goal? also what is your car? what wiring do you already have or intend on buying?
2012 Jetta, Bass Goal? Wtf does that even mean😂 - Just regular 8guage, I just want a system that I can feel in my chest and rattle my mirrors a bit, not competing or anything.. I had 2 10” pioneer subs back home in AK, and I want something a little more now.. I’m not looking to spend more than 500$ for the whole setup, I’m not nit picky

Best option would be to visit a car audio store to get a feel of the current gear out there.  Then you would have to figure out how much boot space you are willing to sacrifice in your trunk area.  Then go purchase a subwoofer(s) and amplifier combo and power wire kit as well.  4 Gauge is sufficient enough to provide you decent bass you are chasing and save you money on future upgrades.  You just have to decide if you want to go a single or double subwoofer system.  Also do your own research on amps/ subwoofers. Usually with reputable brands, compared to the no-name ones, will outlast other flea market gear PROVIDED, you know when  to turn down the volume when you hear distortion.  A single 500rms monoblock amp would be a good starting point and a dual ported or sealed box subwoofer system would be able to satisfy your bass quest, just depends if you want a large ported box that would take more room then a sealed option. :)

20151121_095613.jpg

Best option would be to visit a car audio store to get a feel of the current gear out there.  Then you would have to figure out how much boot space you are willing to sacrifice in your trunk area.  Then go purchase a subwoofer(s) and amplifier combo and power wire kit as well.  4 Gauge is sufficient enough to provide you decent bass you are chasing and save you money on future upgrades.  You just have to decide if you want to go a single or double subwoofer system.  Also do your own research on amps/ subwoofers. Usually with reputable brands, compared to the no-name ones, will outlast other flea market gear PROVIDED, you know when  to turn down the volume when you hear distortion.  A single 500rms monoblock amp would be a good starting point and a dual ported or sealed box subwoofer system would be able to satisfy your bass quest, just depends if you want a large ported box that would take more room then a sealed option. :)

View attachment 2985
Well said, i appreciate it :)  Thank you

Well said, i appreciate it :)  Thank you
Your welcome! :rolleyes:

Oh, the DS18 subwoofers were made to mimic the Digital Designs brand, although it may look similar, I have seen from the specs that it does not play too low.  It goes down to 36Hz and is not very efficient, that makes it not too loud, but then again with subwoofers, even an entry level subwoofer would sound good in a well built box. Its the box that creates the magic when it comes to subwoofers and a good clean signal helps with distortion issues.  Always try to buy the most powerful amplifier you can afford at that time. If brand new is way off your budget, then go second hand and aim for class D as they are more easier on drawing current in an automotive environment. :)

IMO 800 watts ought to be about right for that Ev3 12... I might be able to help with something that fits nice and works well if dimensions are given... it's in a trunk correct?

IMO 800 watts ought to be about right for that Ev3 12... I might be able to help with something that fits nice and works well if dimensions are given... it's in a trunk correct?
Yes sir, ive got plenty of room in my trunk, haven't done the exact measurements but its over 16" high, and pretty wide.. I can get those if you'd like. I appreciate all the support

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.