Home amps and raw drivers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Popwarhomie
5,000+ posts

Team Lethal Pressure
Central FL
I know all about running active in car audio but what do you do in "home audio" to cross raw drivers? Build passive crossovers? Im sure I have some car audio passive crossovers laying around but AFAIK they are for 4 ohm tweeters and woofers.

Amp is 2.1

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-21bt2-100w-21-class-d-bluetooth-amplifier-with-sub-frequency-adjustment--300-3831

I have 4 8 ohm 6.5s and two 2 8 ohm tweeters I have to figure out how to make work on 2 channels.  

Just a little garage setup

Parts express sells pre built crossovers. I just used some 3 way crossovers by Dayton when I made my tower speakers, pretty happy with them so far. Would work good for you too probly with the number of speakers you have. One mid, one woofer and one tweeter per side. You would just have to find one with a crossover point that would work for your speakers.

Parts express sells pre built crossovers. I just used some 3 way crossovers by Dayton when I made my tower speakers, pretty happy with them so far. Would work good for you too probly with the number of speakers you have. One mid, one woofer and one tweeter per side. You would just have to find one with a crossover point that would work for your speakers.
I was looking around parts express for them earlier but only parts were showing up. Guess I had to search "assembled crossovers" lol

Looks like these should suit me well. Says woofers can be 4 or 8 ohm.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-xo2w-35k-2-way-speaker-crossover-3500-hz--260-146

Thanks.

I know all about running active in car audio but what do you do in "home audio" to cross raw drivers? Build passive crossovers? Im sure I have some car audio passive crossovers laying around but AFAIK they are for 4 ohm tweeters and woofers.

Amp is 2.1

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-21bt2-100w-21-class-d-bluetooth-amplifier-with-sub-frequency-adjustment--300-3831

I have 4 8 ohm 6.5s and two 2 8 ohm tweeters I have to figure out how to make work on 2 channels.  

Just a little garage setup
Hoss, you can do it just like in the car... You can use a source unit or source units, rack mount amps, a DSP and a laptop. Got three way speakers? Use three separate rack amps, one for the tweet, one for the mids, one for the lows. Let the DSP be the crossover. Each speaker will have three inputs (Tri-ampable). Think of the possibilities. Rack mount amps can be inexpensive all the way to "I could have bought a car" expensive. You could use passive crossovers... but where is the fun in that?

This is just a cheap garage setup. Gave myself a $250 budget.   A 100 watt per channel 4 channel would be perfect for me but I cant seem to find one.

Build passive crossovers?
Good components aren't cheap and it'll be a mess trying to put them together without a board.   You should be able to google up a crossover design calculator if you want to try it just for the sake of trying it.  Poly caps are supposedly "best", air core slightly better than iron core coils, ribbon coils supposedly best.  The other thing missing is some passive crossovers are very particular about the crossover point or even have a notch filter built in to tame rough areas.  You will never know where problem areas are without some RTA equipment and testing .  Best would be to find some popular components for a 2 way where someone else has already done the work designing a good crossover network for.   Luckily there's a lot more info out there on DIY bookshelf cabinets so if you pick popular drivers you could probably save yourself some work there.

Otherwise I suspect if you just got some generic pre-built crossovers you'd do well enough and if there was a huge issue replace components on those boards as needed.

I was reading up on building my own crossovers and Jesus it went over my head...

I just need to find a calculator like you said that will tell me what crossover components to buy and how to assemble them cause $50 for crossovers is a bit much IMO.

I was reading up on building my own crossovers and Jesus it went over my head...

I just need to find a calculator like you said that will tell me what crossover components to buy and how to assemble them cause $50 for crossovers is a bit much IMO.
https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerCrossover/

Super easy, just plug in your crossover point and impedance and it spits out component values and schematic.   Really doing 2nd order long-hand isn't tough, but it's unnecessary.... I had an old Texas Instruments calculator back in the 90s that would do what that page does.  

Anyway, 50$ for the job isn't really out of line.   Good coils will cost you 5-7$ a whack and good caps will be 3-4$ each 2 of each for each cabinet and well, you do the math yourself.    You can definitely get the poly film capacitors at Mouser Electronics.   Probably coils too but the ones I found via a quick google search that were fit for speaker crossovers were sold at PartsExpress.  Most of the inductors you'll find at Mouser are oddball sizes/shapes, and very low current designs.

On second thought $50 is pretty cheap for crossovers.....  😂

The only buttersworth I know is Mrs. Buttersworth..... 😆

cross.png

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.