is it worth amplifying my speakers

paz

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a suzuki jimny which the front speakers sounded terrible they were only 10watt 4inch paper speakers. I have just installed some JVC csdr420 speakers i picked up on special they are 35watt rms speakers each 220watt peak. The stock head unit apparently is a clarion and only puts out 14watt rms per channel. I dont want a fancy super loud system just wanted to improve on what i have,the speakers i put in sound 100x better than it did. my question is should i just get a new headunit to power the speakers abit more or is it worth getting a new headunit and an amp for the speakers?? If its worth amping the speakers what size amp would you reccomend. Thanks dan.

Hey mate,

Thanks for raising your issue here.

Even with an external amplifier to run your aftermarket speakers, you will not get too much from a 4 inch speaker but it will be noticeable louder but not much bass given the woofer size.

Another option is to buy those fibre glass angled door pods and install 6.5 inch component speakers but in order to get much better mid-bass in the front, you will need to invest more money into sound deadening the front doors.  It is relatively easy to do but if you wish to take that approach, there is plenty of how to videos on the web.

Nevertheless, don't let my decision stop you from attempting the external amplifier to your speakers.  It will certainly be much cleaner sounding as a small amp such as a 50rms x 2 will make a better sound and give your speakers more headroom to play louder, however the bass will always be lacking so if you are willing to install an amplifier, I would suggest the following"

• Get a 4 channel amplifier and buy a relevant power wiring kit to go with the install;
  • Get a 4 channel amplifier with separate flat/ high/ low variable crossover settings;
  • Get a single 10 or 12 inch subwoofer in a sealed box and with the whole system wired up, you should definitely be happy with the end result.
I have attached a pic of a 4 channel amp with crossover settings so you can cross your front speakers at 100hz and your subwoofer will produce frequencies below 100hz.  By applying high pass filter to your front speakers will make them sound more louder and accurate when the volume is turned up.

Good luck and let us know how you go mate!

20150501_174843.jpg

Of course, I think each lover of car should have good audio system. I am a big lover of music and I usually listen music on very high sound level. I can suggest you to check https://www.digitalprosound.com/best-6x9-speakers-reviews/ ... it is a good site with different reviews on different subjects not only car speakers. My advice is to buy Rockford R169X2 Full-Range Coaxial , the bass is great, sound is clean without dirty sound or other unpleasant sounds. JBL has also good models on nice price.

Of course, I think each lover of car should have good audio system. I am a big lover of music and I usually listen music on very high sound level. I can suggest you to check https://www.digitalprosound.com/best-6x9-speakers-reviews/ ... it is a good site with different reviews on different subjects not only car speakers. My advice is to buy Rockford R169X2 Full-Range Coaxial , the bass is great, sound is clean without dirty sound or other unpleasant sounds. JBL has also good models on nice price.
What's with these new people resurrecting old dead threads? Take that website's advice with a hefty grain of salt since they're completely amazon-revenue-driven. Ever heard of honestmattressreviews.com?

Here's the only lawsuit you ever need to read about to make you think twice about those types of websites.

Also they gave a pair of boss speakers honorable mention... lmao.

"Pros

Superb 200-watt power output"

Can't make this **** up. After reading one review I've come to the conclusion that this website you linked is devoid of any actual advice that should ever be listened to. Many of the things mentioned are just downright the opposite of the truth. They think 88db sensitivity boss speakers put out more output than 94db infinities w/ 150% more wattage input? I think they're just bullshitting so people might click on their affiliate links, the first thing you learn in this industry, before even completing your first install, is that max wattage doesn't mean anything.. These numbnuts haven't figured it out during their reviews though? Obvious they don't care whether the reviews are accurate or not, their audience is random people from google who won't remember their website name in 2 days but the site owners will still have the money from the sale. It was probably written with compilations of reviews automatically pulled from amazon or trustedreviews. I'm sure someone has been made very rich from whatever scheme is behind those sites.

"Top Brands on the Market
Now, you’re almost ready to get the best 6x9 speaker, but first, let’s go over all the major brands that you should consider when buying. Here they are:
Boss
The first brand that you’ll find decent enough to provide exceptional quality is Boss. This is a next-level engineering brand that focuses on superb acoustic without leaving design behind.
It sells speakers and audio systems of all kinds. But its 6x9 models are not to overlook. You won’t find anything as reliable as a Boss car audio system, either in the low or high end of the spectrum."

I want to die.. okay going to bed lol.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.