What is required to power 2x900w Subwoofers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tom Ferguson

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi,

I had an EDGE 1800w Subwoofer with built in amplifier only recently the amp died (Completely burnt out multiple components as it went on fire....oops)

I managed to salvage the 2x900w Subs and tested them to check they were still working (They are :D)

Only issue now is I need a new amplifier and I am unsure what is required to actually power these, I know I need at least an 1800w amp to fully utilize the subwoofers but I heard about amps only outputting a certain amount to each speaker (2000w over 4 channels meaning only 500w per speaker). 

I have seen some other posts about 2 channel and 4 channel amps but am unsure the difference between them (4 channel appears to be cheaper and I am on a budget)

Any help on which type of amp I should get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I had an EDGE 1800w Subwoofer with built in amplifier only recently the amp died (Completely burnt out multiple components as it went on fire....oops)

I managed to salvage the 2x900w Subs and tested them to check they were still working (They are :D)

Only issue now is I need a new amplifier and I am unsure what is required to actually power these, I know I need at least an 1800w amp to fully utilize the subwoofers but I heard about amps only outputting a certain amount to each speaker (2000w over 4 channels meaning only 500w per speaker). 

I have seen some other posts about 2 channel and 4 channel amps but am unsure the difference between them (4 channel appears to be cheaper and I am on a budget)

Any help on which type of amp I should get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
those edge subwoofers do not handle 1800 watts, which is leading to my next statement, what is the exact model of the subs youre looking to run? I ask so that we can accurately give advice on what to power them with

I'd doubt that whatever subs they put in that would handle anywhere near 1800W, more likely 180 each?    You'll need to get into that box either way to access the terminals on the woofers and test their impedance.  Figure out the impedance, coil configuration, and post some pics of the arse ends of those woofers.

I have 2 of those speakers yes, I got them from this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-Audio-Amplified-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007MA7BLM

But the older model of that.
ok, sorry for all the questions, but i want to make sure which amp would work best for you if you intend on keeping these woofers. They look like theyre 8 ohm each, and if thats the case, youre going to be best getting a fairly beefy 2 channel amp, running them in parallel making them 4 ohms before the amp, then bridging a 2 channel amp to get the final load of 2 ohms. you could do well with this guy https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/orion-hcca-hcca-1200-2-2-channel-amplifier-1200-watts-rms.html

pretty expensive, but itll do the trick for the woofers you have

ok, sorry for all the questions, but i want to make sure which amp would work best for you if you intend on keeping these woofers. They look like theyre 8 ohm each, and if thats the case, youre going to be best getting a fairly beefy 2 channel amp, running them in parallel making them 4 ohms before the amp, then bridging a 2 channel amp to get the final load of 2 ohms. you could do well with this guy https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/orion-hcca-hcca-1200-2-2-channel-amplifier-1200-watts-rms.html

pretty expensive, but itll do the trick for the woofers you have
Yeah that's like 2 weeks wages for me so I'll not be able to afford that unfortunately.

If that's the kind of amp that would be required to run them does that mean the stock amp that came with it was likely not powering them much at all?? The whole unit new costs <$200 here and i was just looking to kinda resurrect it

Yeah that's like 2 weeks wages for me so I'll not be able to afford that unfortunately.

If that's the kind of amp that would be required to run them does that mean the stock amp that came with it was likely not powering them much at all?? The whole unit new costs <$200 here and i was just looking to kinda resurrect it
youre in the UK, right? what does the used market look like over there? im in a small midwestern town in the middle of the USA and the local pawn shops here have some pretty awesome amps for reasonable prices quite frequently. Get yourself an older quality built 2 channel for those subs that can handle a 2 ohm load and you should be good.

what kind of brands do you often see over there? PPI? Orion? Earthquake? 

It says they are 300 watts RMS each and if that is the case and you need 600 watts RMS for both wired in parallel than an Infinity K-1000 rated for 700 in 4 ohms should do it and $180 from Crutchfield right now. The SoundQubed S1-1250 should also do it, on sale for just $150 right now. 

youre in the UK, right? what does the used market look like over there? im in a small midwestern town in the middle of the USA and the local pawn shops here have some pretty awesome amps for reasonable prices quite frequently. Get yourself an older quality built 2 channel for those subs that can handle a 2 ohm load and you should be good.

what kind of brands do you often see over there? PPI? Orion? Earthquake? 
The brands I can see here are like Fusion, Alpine, Auna, edge, JBL. I live in Northern Ireland (basically the part of Ireland that's in the UK) The used market in Ireland is crap only amps you can really find are 200w rms at $50. Also I have seen 0 2channel amps. They are all 4 channel or more.

Originally this is what i was looking at https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB0450-4-Channel-Car-Amplifier-2400W-PMPO-Racing-Design-4-0.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR2Luhw2xNO8LL9IvSnOJ_yhQprL7ZxXmNXQql_OCvpmoX1u8DqY_GRoC6igQAvD_BwE

But i assume from what you have said that this is not suitable for my subs.

Edit: Auna also have a 2 channel one at 1200w max power for slightly more than that one

Last edited by a moderator:
The brands I can see here are like Fusion, Alpine, Auna, edge, JBL. I live in Northern Ireland (basically the part of Ireland that's in the UK) The used market in Ireland is crap only amps you can really find are 200w rms at $50. Also I have seen 0 2channel amps. They are all 4 channel or more.

Originally this is what i was looking at https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB0450-4-Channel-Car-Amplifier-2400W-PMPO-Racing-Design-4-0.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR2Luhw2xNO8LL9IvSnOJ_yhQprL7ZxXmNXQql_OCvpmoX1u8DqY_GRoC6igQAvD_BwE

But i assume from what you have said that this is not suitable for my subs.

Edit: Auna also have a 2 channel one at 1200w max power for slightly more than that one
do you mean this one?

https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB-250-2-Channel-Car-Amplifier-1200W-Bridgeable-2-0.html

also, holy ---- these guys lie about how many watts these things produce!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
do you mean this one?

https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB-250-2-Channel-Car-Amplifier-1200W-Bridgeable-2-0.html

also, holy ---- these guys lie about how many watts these things produce!!!!
Yeah that one,

these are a pretty popular brand here I have seen people pairing up 2x1000w (I assume max) rated auna subwoofers with their 4800w 6 channel one. https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/?cl=details&cnid=71369d618bed27e1db7dcc0931f14951&anid=5d7ea9b6f21c7be6f7af9f7856f4132e&varselid[0]=9f41f9f1c434718ae6e50ffba61152d0

This is kinda why im getting confused over what they actually require

Yeah that one,

these are a pretty popular brand here I have seen people pairing up 2x1000w (I assume max) rated auna subwoofers with their 4800w 6 channel one. https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/?cl=details&cnid=71369d618bed27e1db7dcc0931f14951&anid=5d7ea9b6f21c7be6f7af9f7856f4132e&varselid[0]=9f41f9f1c434718ae6e50ffba61152d0

This is kinda why im getting confused over what they actually require
image_5531ba2d-aaa9-4b0e-9ff1-34acbb05ecbb_530x@2x.jpg
ok, so this is what an actual 2000 watt amp looks like inside. those amps are straight up lying about what they put out on their inflated numbers. that 2 channel says 90 watts by 2 in its product details 

this is a copy and paste from teh 2 channel amps specs

Top features

• 2-channel amplifier, 2 x 90W RMS - 1200W max performance
  • Adjustable low-pass filter
  • Polished racing chassis design with brushed metal
  • Bridgeable - Stereo / mono operation

ok, so this is what an actual 2000 watt amp looks like inside. those amps are straight up lying about what they put out on their inflated numbers. that 2 channel says 90 watts by 2 in its product details 

this is a copy and paste from teh 2 channel amps specs

Top features

• 2-channel amplifier, 2 x 90W RMS - 1200W max performance
  • Adjustable low-pass filter
  • Polished racing chassis design with brushed metal
  • Bridgeable - Stereo / mono operation
So when looking for an amp to suit the subwoofer the two RMS values need to match (Or the amps needs to be higher)? 

I assume also that If  was to use a amp that had a lower RMS I would be stressing it too much as it is above RMS constantly resulting in the situation i ended up with the amp blowing up?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.