ThxOne

Sony Components... good?

So I bought these Sony components as throw away speakers just to temporarily replace the factory speakers in my G6... paid $85+ tax for them brand new and they are still sealed in the box. The shop I got them from said here, buy these, we can't seem to sell them. So I did, for $85+ tax thinking they are just cheap Sony speakers. Apparently they are not just cheap speakers? They list everywhere else for $249 for the set and the shop normally list them for $249. Which is more than I paid for my eXcelon components. What gives? Are they good speakers? They literally say that Kevlar is impregnated in the woofer cones, rubber surrounds, the passive crossovers are bi-ampable, they handle decent power. Sony XS-GS1621C.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe - Full Active Build Coming Soon

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Rolling Cluster F**K - But Sounds Good

Specs look fairly decent on them. reviews seem to be good.I like the Toggle switch for the tweeter settings rather than the cheesy plastic switches.I havent ran Sony speakers in over two decades, so I cant tell you anything good or bad about Sony speakers.I say wire them up and get some power on them and see how they perform.You may enjoy them. If anything they seem like they would be a great back up set even, for the price you paid for them.If you like them, for the price, id prob snag another set up to have 

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

7 hours ago, audiobaun said:

Specs look fairly decent on them. reviews seem to be good.I like the Toggle switch for the tweeter settings rather than the cheesy plastic switches.I havent ran Sony speakers in over two decades, so I cant tell you anything good or bad about Sony speakers.I say wire them up and get some power on them and see how they perform.You may enjoy them. If anything they seem like they would be a great back up set even, for the price you paid for them.If you like them, for the price, id prob snag another set up to have 

I noticed they make a 3-way set... of which the small mid is an exact fit for my factory door speaker pods. Shit, if they have the three way set and want to sell that to me for $100 i'd be stupid not to try it. I think I will try the two way set in the jeep since it is already setup for it.

13 hours ago, ThxOne said:

I noticed they make a 3-way set... of which the small mid is an exact fit for my factory door speaker pods. Shit, if they have the three way set and want to sell that to me for $100 i'd be stupid not to try it. I think I will try the two way set in the jeep since it is already setup for it.

I would deff try them out. Get some power on them and see how they perform.I prob wouldnt put more than 30-40 watts on the tweets to be safe.You may be able talk them into like $90 bucks on the 3 way set even and throw in another 2 way set fo like $60 bucks and come out ahead since they arent selling any of them.

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Sony used to be known for making good reliable electronics and I think they still do. Get those things installed, put some power on them, and let us know how they sound. 

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Stock Ford 6x8 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 2-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Peerless NE25VTS-04 1" tweeters. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” 1.8 cube/33Hz.

5 hours ago, Jcsaudio said:

Sony used to be known for making good reliable electronics and I think they still do. Get those things installed, put some power on them, and let us know how they sound. 

Will do asap... Monday or Tues.

Sony has been around for a long time and back in the 90's they were competing with top end brands such as Rockford, Soundstream, Pioneer, Clarion and their ES models were really good and were  manufactured in Japan, back then,  I think some Clarion gear was also made in US as well.   I think the brand is coming up again past their XPLOD red trademark which damaged their reputation.  Only your ears will tell if they are any good.  Give them a run and let us know if YOU like it, that all that matters!

7 hours ago, DRBOOM said:

Sony has been around for a long time and back in the 90's they were competing with top end brands such as Rockford, Soundstream, Pioneer, Clarion and their ES models were really good and were  manufactured in Japan, back then,  I think some Clarion gear was also made in US as well.   I think the brand is coming up again past their XPLOD red trademark which damaged their reputation.  Only your ears will tell if they are any good.  Give them a run and let us know if YOU like it, that all that matters!

You took the words right out of my mouth, well said. 

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Stock Ford 6x8 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 2-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Peerless NE25VTS-04 1" tweeters. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” 1.8 cube/33Hz.

10 hours ago, DRBOOM said:

Back in the day I used to come across Sony head units all the time along with other brands like Alpine and Pioneer and even this cool JVC where the face plate moved around and transformed somewhat. I always like how the Sony decks sounded over the others. Couldn't tell you why other than they just sounded better to me. Pioneers tuners always had the best reception, The Alpines used to look the best. Yes, when Sony started pushing the Xplod harder, I went other directions. I have no idea when I started using Kenwood eXcelon stuff, but I like it.

Head Units I have used:

1. Clarion Pro Audio DXZ-715 <--- First ever head unit I bought (Kicker Subs - Kicker amp - eXcelon Components)

2. Alpine CDA-7998 <--- Second ever head unit I bought (Pioneer Speakers - IMPP Sub - Rockford Fosgate Amp)

3. 4 or 5 Sony's one of which was a CDX-MP70 <-- I remember that one because I hated the knobs

4. A couple of Pioneers

5. A JVC

6. My current eXcelon 998

I heard their GS line which is one tier below and they werent bad, outperformed cheaper kenwood, pioneers, focals, alpine type Rs in their 150 dollar price category by a small margin. Main difference in the performance was better resolution and tonality, aka sounded fuller and overall balanced compared to the other ones on the sound demo wall. However its a sound demo wall. IB in a car door will be vastly different,

Edited by Jeffdachef

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now