Sony Components... good?

Participant count
  • Participants list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
So I bought these Sony components as throw away speakers just to temporarily replace the factory speakers in my G6... paid $85+ tax for them brand new and they are still sealed in the box. The shop I got them from said here, buy these, we can't seem to sell them. So I did, for $85+ tax thinking they are just cheap Sony speakers. Apparently they are not just cheap speakers? They list everywhere else for $249 for the set and the shop normally list them for $249. Which is more than I paid for my eXcelon components. What gives? Are they good speakers? They literally say that Kevlar is impregnated in the woofer cones, rubber surrounds, the passive crossovers are bi-ampable, they handle decent power. Sony XS-GS1621C.

Specs look fairly decent on them. reviews seem to be good.I like the Toggle switch for the tweeter settings rather than the cheesy plastic switches.I havent ran Sony speakers in over two decades, so I cant tell you anything good or bad about Sony speakers.I say wire them up and get some power on them and see how they perform.You may enjoy them. If anything they seem like they would be a great back up set even, for the price you paid for them.If you like them, for the price, id prob snag another set up to have 

Specs look fairly decent on them. reviews seem to be good.I like the Toggle switch for the tweeter settings rather than the cheesy plastic switches.I havent ran Sony speakers in over two decades, so I cant tell you anything good or bad about Sony speakers.I say wire them up and get some power on them and see how they perform.You may enjoy them. If anything they seem like they would be a great back up set even, for the price you paid for them.If you like them, for the price, id prob snag another set up to have 
I noticed they make a 3-way set... of which the small mid is an exact fit for my factory door speaker pods. ****, if they have the three way set and want to sell that to me for $100 i'd be stupid not to try it. I think I will try the two way set in the jeep since it is already setup for it.

I noticed they make a 3-way set... of which the small mid is an exact fit for my factory door speaker pods. ****, if they have the three way set and want to sell that to me for $100 i'd be stupid not to try it. I think I will try the two way set in the jeep since it is already setup for it.
I would deff try them out. Get some power on them and see how they perform.I prob wouldnt put more than 30-40 watts on the tweets to be safe.You may be able talk them into like $90 bucks on the 3 way set even and throw in another 2 way set fo like $60 bucks and come out ahead since they arent selling any of them.

Sony has been around for a long time and back in the 90's they were competing with top end brands such as Rockford, Soundstream, Pioneer, Clarion and their ES models were really good and were  manufactured in Japan, back then,  I think some Clarion gear was also made in US as well.   I think the brand is coming up again past their XPLOD red trademark which damaged their reputation.  Only your ears will tell if they are any good.  Give them a run and let us know if YOU like it, that all that matters!

Sony has been around for a long time and back in the 90's they were competing with top end brands such as Rockford, Soundstream, Pioneer, Clarion and their ES models were really good and were  manufactured in Japan, back then,  I think some Clarion gear was also made in US as well.   I think the brand is coming up again past their XPLOD red trademark which damaged their reputation.  Only your ears will tell if they are any good.  Give them a run and let us know if YOU like it, that all that matters!
You took the words right out of my mouth, well said. 

Back in the day I used to come across Sony head units all the time along with other brands like Alpine and Pioneer and even this cool JVC where the face plate moved around and transformed somewhat. I always like how the Sony decks sounded over the others. Couldn't tell you why other than they just sounded better to me. Pioneers tuners always had the best reception, The Alpines used to look the best. Yes, when Sony started pushing the Xplod harder, I went other directions. I have no idea when I started using Kenwood eXcelon stuff, but I like it.

Head Units I have used:

1. Clarion Pro Audio DXZ-715 <--- First ever head unit I bought (Kicker Subs - Kicker amp - eXcelon Components)

2. Alpine CDA-7998 <--- Second ever head unit I bought (Pioneer Speakers - IMPP Sub - Rockford Fosgate Amp)

3. 4 or 5 Sony's one of which was a CDX-MP70 <-- I remember that one because I hated the knobs

4. A couple of Pioneers

5. A JVC

6. My current eXcelon 998

I heard their GS line which is one tier below and they werent bad, outperformed cheaper kenwood, pioneers, focals, alpine type Rs in their 150 dollar price category by a small margin. Main difference in the performance was better resolution and tonality, aka sounded fuller and overall balanced compared to the other ones on the sound demo wall. However its a sound demo wall. IB in a car door will be vastly different,

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.