Tips or Advice on this Box design please.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dragonsyph

CarAudio.com Regular
Gonna be building another box and before i do i just had a few questions.  

Since the amp I'm getting only has a 25hz on/off subsonic i was told maybe i should use a box tuned lower.   

Current box is 6.5c at 33hz and dimensions are as followed.

bl18pic_zps12sbbhzw.jpg

With a 25hz 12db octave subsonic what HZ would you guys suggest i run the port?  32h?  or 30hz?

Or Maybe you guys have a better design that would work better.

The sub is a FI Team 18 v2.   FS 32.1 hz   4500rms,  33mm xmax.   Amp is Orion HCCA5000.1dv2  rated at 5000 watts @ 12.6v only.   Amp will do 6000-7000 at 1ohm with 14+v.  

Last edited by a moderator:
That this box should be good for 5000 watts but with that amp hitting high watts it might hit xmax at 7000 watts if sub is in a 33hz box with a 25 subsonic. 

Sooo... your question is whether you need to tune lower?

I would say that if your planinng on running 5k+, once you've ironed out the electrical and flex issues you'll know your equipment's limits.

All enclosures are a collection of compromises and I'm sure port area/tuning/volume was considered... 

... jeez... what do you plan... hooking it all up then playing 24hz full blast right off the bat?

Just give it a try. As far as the enclosure goes... it's really up to you and what your willing to build... any designer can most likely get as creative as you want and overbuild a monster enclosure if you specify.

But really... playing with 5k (7K?)... you should already have some sort of idea

No offense meant

Good luck

Sooo... your question is whether you need to tune lower?

I would say that if your planinng on running 5k+, once you've ironed out the electrical and flex issues you'll know your equipment's limits.

All enclosures are a collection of compromises and I'm sure port area/tuning/volume was considered... 

... jeez... what do you plan... hooking it all up then playing 24hz full blast right off the bat?

Just give it a try. As far as the enclosure goes... it's really up to you and what your willing to build... any designer can most likely get as creative as you want and overbuild a monster enclosure if you specify.

But really... playing with 5k (7K?)... you should already have some sort of idea

No offense meant

Good luck
None taken, im just one of those people who like to triple and quad check everything cuss i get paranoid about stupid ****.  

Kinda just trying to balance the box amp and sub but like you said, best to try it out first hand etc. 

From your posts on the site i think you are very knowledgeable about boxes, so what do you think about the one up top lol?

Someone suggested i round out the port and put in 45 degree cuts in corners etc to help air flow,  i might try that. 

None taken, im just one of those people who like to triple and quad check everything cuss i get paranoid about stupid ****.  

From your posts i think you are very knowledgeable about boxes, so what do you think about the one up top lol?

Someone suggested i round out the port and put in 45 degree cuts in corners etc to help air flow,  i might try that. 
Good ideas all... remember that it'll change volumes and port length if you do... most likely raising the tuning so you'll need to account for the additional displacements. Especially if you do all those things and 45 the bend.

Bracing and 45's can drastically change volume/tuning sometimes 

Big ol' team 18 on 5k+ should be overbuilt and 45'd at least in the port bend and path. I would use some pretty heavy bracing. 

Whats the driver weight? 

Ya'... its easy to overthink this stuff sometimes... hahaha

Good ideas all... remember that it'll change volumes and port length if you do... most likely raising the tuning so you'll need to account for the additional displacements. Especially if you do all those things and 45 the bend.

Bracing and 45's can drastically change volume/tuning sometimes 

Big ol' team 18 on 5k+ should be overbuilt and 45'd at least in the port bend and path. I would use some pretty heavy bracing. 

Whats the driver weight? 

Ya'... its easy to overthink this stuff sometimes... hahaha
Not sure on total weight but I know the MMS is like 510 grams.  

Since in the port that back corner is wider,  putting in a 45 to make it 6" wide in the corner to match the rest of the port, would that change the tuning?  

As for rounding the port i think i just ment to flare the very end were it comes out like round them over a tad bit.   Nothing like keifing etc. 

Almost wanna start over and include all the braces and 45s for the corner  and tune to 32hz, but then again ya lol. 

A badass box tuned to 32 hz,  might be what ill have to build.  

Since in the port that back corner is wider,  putting in a 45 to make it 6" wide in the corner to match the rest of the port, would that change the tuning?  
Yes.. itll shorten the length a bit.. then if you add additional bracing it'll shrink the volume and at that point tuning can change a bit... probably not noticeably but if you're looking for extension and pushing it to the limit.

You might notice then 

What are your goals with this?

Yes.. itll shorten the length a bit.. then if you add additional bracing it'll shrink the volume and at that point tuning can change a bit... probably not noticeably but if you're looking for extension and pushing it to the limit.

You might notice then 

What are your goals with this?
I want something I can really feel, I love the feel of bass, it's all going into my everyday ride, be for fun and to hang out with buddies and have a good time.    Bumping to work every day, and on breaks, i take all my breaks in my Tahoe.   I want my friends to first feel it and be like OMG<<<<

Do you charge to design a 32hz box with sub up, port back with including bracing and 45s into the volume and tuning so the tuning comes out perfect?  

32hz with a 25 sub sonic, at 5000-8000 watts sounds like a perfect match after all the research iv been doing. 

All i have is a table saw, but i can go out and buy a router or something if needed. 

Hit me up tomorrow... its kinda late here... those other guys on the other forum could as well too I'd imagine.  Pm me and ill try to whip up something manana.

Hit me up tomorrow... its kinda late here... those other guys on the other forum could as well too I'd imagine.  Pm me and ill try to whip up something manana.
Thanks bro, no rush, got lots of **** to buy still haha.  And thanks for your time and advice.  I love learning everything i can, i love me some car audio.   Have a good night.

Where you @ in WA?

Running that much power(You never stated if you have the electrical to back it up) to a single sub, I would def double up on the enclosure. Your gonna have major flex if you don't. What vehicle is this going into? Feeling bass from this single 18 on 5k should easily meet your goal lol.

Where you @ in WA?

Running that much power(You never stated if you have the electrical to back it up) to a single sub, I would def double up on the enclosure. Your gonna have major flex if you don't. What vehicle is this going into? Feeling bass from this single 18 on 5k should easily meet your goal lol.
Near Yakima,  this build is been coming along for months and will take months more lol,  been able to save up and buy about 1-2 items per month, but i got alot of the expensive stuff to go. 

2005 tahoe and a 370amp alt, havent ran any wire yet to the back, not sure if i wanna run 2 runs of 2/0  or 4 of 1/0.  

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.