Large sub setup

Participant count
  • Participants list

truk9889

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have an f250 that im wanting to put subs in. I have enough room for a box that could have a maximum of 2.75 cu. ft. Im more into spl more than a sq. and listen mostly to rap I was thinking either 2 12w7's or 5 10w6's. Open to any other suggestions 
thanks

I have an f250 that im wanting to put subs in. I have enough room for a box that could have a maximum of 2.75 cu. ft. Im more into spl more than a sq. and listen mostly to rap I was thinking either 2 12w7's or 5 10w6's. Open to any other suggestions 
thanks
2.75ft3 externally or net?

Single cab or what?

How much power you planning to run?

More information is probably best.

2.75 internal. It’s a crew cab. I was planning on a 1000.1 for each of the 12w7s and not sure for the w6’s. I was going to do a sealed box and for the 12W7 it said it required 1.3 cu per sub and the 10w6 needs .55 per sub. I moved my rear seat forward 3.5inches and I was going to put them behind the seats

2.75 internal. It’s a crew cab. I was planning on a 1000.1 for each of the 12w7s and not sure for the w6’s. I was going to do a sealed box and for the 12W7 it said it required 1.3 cu per sub and the 10w6 needs .55 per sub. I moved my rear seat forward 3.5inches and I was going to put them behind the seats
Dunno what they like sealed but the published number is likely minimum.  W7 is going to require a lot of mounting depth so "behind the seat" doesn't sound like it's going to happen, but get out your tape measure and compare to published mounting depth specs..  If you're going to just cram as much cone area as you can into a sealed box  and like the JL lineup do consider their shallow mount line.  Might be a bit more practical for mounting depth.

After moving the seat forward and ripping the carpet and stuff on the back bulkhead I have 12” at the bottom and 7.5” at the top. The 12w7 has a mounting depth of 9.5 with a .5” clearance needed for the pole vent so if I mount them  low enough in the wedge box I’ll have the clearance. I’ve had a bunch of different setups (4 8” Sundown, 4 10W3’s, 2 12W3’s, 3 12w6’s, 4 10TW3’s, and 4 of the first flat 10s punch came out with ) I think the shallow mounts are good but with the 12W6s it felt like someone was sitting on your chest is the best way I could describe it and I never got that with the shallow mounts. 

I’m not dead set on JL it’s just all I’ve ever had because I didn’t really know anyone that had other brands to hear what they sound like 

Sounds like 54" or so that'll useable to me if the port loads into the corner of the cabin... that is if you go ported for maximum results

I had the 12w6s in a ported box and the 12w3’s in one of the Jl boxes and I think I prefer the sealed. The 12w6 box may not have been built or tuned correctly. I told the shop I wanted a sealed box but they built a ported box instead. 

The 12w7 has a mounting depth of 9.5 with a .5” clearance needed for the pole vent so if I mount them  low enough in the wedge box I’ll have the clearance.
Will that leave enough room in front of the subs that the surrounds/cones won't rub on the seat back?

Have you looked into the Dayton lineup over at partsexpress?  Those are well regarded all around and should perform well in sealed or ported alignment.

The big problem is that most of the "car audio" drivers these days are built to run ported so finding something that'll do good sealed just doesn't leave you a lot of choices.

Also I expect any shallow mount sub will leave something to be desired compared to full size stuff, but figured I'd throw it out there in case depth was very limited.

Yeah I think the excursion is about an inch so I took an inch of the box so it would clear 
How much frame and surround sticks out from mounting surface + the actual cone movement.   You really really don't want to rip up the surround on your seat.  Double-triple check.

12w7ae3_main.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.