Last help Post on dad installing son's first stereo. thanks

Rangerboats

La.
OK for those who missed it or have forgotten this is the link to my first thread.

And now on to my questions. I went by a Stereo Shop today to see if they could build a box for me and while I was there I was talked into just buying everything from them. They seemed like a great bunch of guys and I felt like I was treated great. My Son was able to listen to five or six different cars/trucks that were there and he LOVED it. Any way here is what I bought and what he will end up with. I was hoping you guys could tell me if I made a good choice or if I messed up. Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me and answer questions.

I ordered from SSA a set of 6.5 Evil comps I'm using all Knu Wire and RCA. Now on to what I bought at the stereo shop. I bought two 12" Ver 2.5 Ampere Audio Subwoofers and a custom ported box hand built by the shop for $700. I then bought a Ampere Audio AA-1200.1 to run them for $349. I'm using an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 300.2 that I had and the shop checked it and said the Amp was good to use The shop will install it all this Wednesday. I've done paid for it all so this is it. This will be his first Stereo and I sure hope I didn't mess it up. I really enjoyed the few hours we spent at the Stereo shop today and they treated us great.

Thank you all for your help and time with this

I did not noticed that I fat fingered that until you pointed it out. his first car is a 2002 Toyota 4 runner not a 2012 but it is still a very nice vehicle and is not falling apart......yet........maybe a little bass can change that. I'm sorry if my post are rambling, I was really just wanting to know if Ampere Audio was pretty good because the first stuff I picked out for him was not but.....I trusted the stereo shop to not do me wrong and I don't feel like they did. Thank you

Edit...If any one is interested I will post some pictures or a video of his system next Thursday, once the shop has finished it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ampere stuff I've seen is pretty decent.   Nothing special but about as good as anything else in their class.  Old school RF you can't go wrong with and SSA doesn't sell junk so I'd say you did well. 

Definitely post up some pics after they're done.

I bought two 12" Ver 2.5 Ampere Audio Subwoofers and a custom ported box hand built by the shop for $700. I then bought a Ampere Audio AA-1200.1 to run them for $349. 
When your son gets ready to upgrade (we all seem to... lol) If those Ampere 2.5 12's are still functioning (my experience is that he'll want it louder and turn the gain way-up... or his buddies will) I'd go about 2-2.5k next time and get the next box built to account for that increased power. I'd bet 2.5K on that box below in that Small SUV would be fairly impressive.

MBaZFt.jpg

Either way I'd like to know how it all turns out... tuned-in

My son's SSA Evil 6.5 arrived  today. I am VERY impressed with the shipping of SSA and WoW those speakers look amazing.. I guess I had a brain fart when I ordered and didn't order the components (100% on me, not SSA they sent exactly what I ordered) so I ran by local shop and bought a pair of Skar tweeters.

OK here is my question, Do I need a inline cross over, like the kind in component sets to hook those up? or can I add a bass blocker to the twtters and do fine? Should I wire them in series? I'm using a old school Rockfor Fosgate 300.2 Amp thanks guy.

EDIT.....I guess I could pay a little more and have the shop install this too but I want my son and me to do something.

20181203_151238.jpg

20181203_151312.jpg

Hey mate, nice gear!

It all depends on which way you do your install.  If you plan to run them on an active stage, or passive stage. :rolleyes:

• The passive stage is when you add an in-line 6db/12db cross over to the tweeters or;
  • if you plan to run active then your amplifier would do the duty to send the customised signal to both your mid-bass and tweeters; (presuming your say, a 4 channel amp has variable high pass/ low pass/ full range capabilities with variable cross overs for front / rear independent points and separate gain adjustments) :)
If you plan to run passive and that is what your question is based on then, yes, you will need to sought some crossovers from car audio shops, may be worth to contact them before you make the trip to save time. :cool:

See below pics to see if your amp has built in features.

Cheers mate! :suave:

1439462065358.jpg

I think for a first system he's going to be spoiled... most of us started with sh*t... some of us were lucky enough to start off with crap... but you did good dad, **** u do better than good, for a 1st system I'd say u hit a Solo home run. Yes theres better equipment out there so cant call it a grand slam... but I think theres plenty of guys on this forum, myself included who would happily run that setup in our own vehicle right now.

Ampere 2.5s are awesome subs and that's a badass amp too, add to that the Evils and I'll say it again, ya did well dad! 

And I also have to say kudos to the shop, they carry good gear, not just the typical Kicker, JL, Rockford stuff, so they seem to know good equipment at least and they didnt screw you at all either, you get a good fair price and if the box is really custom then you got 1 hell of a deal. I and prob others would love to see pics of the box and the entire install once it's done. Seeing the box will help give a better opinion of just how good of a deal you got. 

Your son should be estatic, and I guarantee once he hears his system he'll be kissing your ass! He def will have 1 of the nicer setups at that age!

My son's SSA Evil 6.5 arrived  today. I am VERY impressed with the shipping of SSA and WoW those speakers look amazing.. I guess I had a brain fart when I ordered and didn't order the components (100% on me, not SSA they sent exactly what I ordered) so I ran by local shop and bought a pair of Skar tweeters.

OK here is my question, Do I need a inline cross over, like the kind in component sets to hook those up? or can I add a bass blocker to the twtters and do fine? Should I wire them in series? I'm using a old school Rockfor Fosgate 300.2 Amp thanks guy.

EDIT.....I guess I could pay a little more and have the shop install this too but I want my son and me to do something.
Yeah, you're going to want some passive crossovers for these.   I expect those mids may start breaking up if you try to run them full range and really it's probable that you'd want to cross them rather low and have a larger format tweeter that can also cross low.

I found a few 2 way crossovers with a quick google search for various prices.   Try your luck and report back. 

Dont return the speakers and get a component set and dont get crossovers. You've already done so well with the equipment, dont stop now. You said you wanted something left for you to do with your son since the audio shop is doing the install right? Instead of spending the $ on crossovers and a passive setup why dont you get a DSP and run your system active?

You can get the Dayton Audio DSP408 for $150 on partsexpress.com. Not only will this give you something fun to do with your son but when done right active setups sound so much better than passive. You get tuning control over everything, get the dsp and if you truly want to do it right get a USB Mic like the Dayton Audio Umm-6 and download REW on your laptop/computer and have a sound system that is top of the line. It will be something you can do with your son that will last as well. And its not like once you install the equipment your done, then the fun part starts of actually tuning the stereo. It's truly something you and your son can together for days, weeks hell even months depending on how into you guys get.

If you dont know what I'm talking about when I say going active look it up. Google going active with a dsp, that should get you started. Then once you understand the basis behind it look up the tuning guide written by Andy from Audiofrog. I think it might actually be on the Audiofrog website, if not a quick Google search will find it.

Like I said not only will this make your sons vehicle sound it's best but I also believe this is a great father/son activity, something you guys can do together not only inside the car but in your home on the computer adjusting your tune on the software and learning more about active setups and DSPs..

This would be my recommendation, even if you guys weren't doing it together. It's still IMO the best way to run the stereo for the best results...And remember to get some pics up once the install is done, maybe even ask the shop to take some for u if they will!

Dont return the speakers and get a component set and dont get crossovers. You've already done so well with the equipment, dont stop now. You said you wanted something left for you to do with your son since the audio shop is doing the install right? Instead of spending the $ on crossovers and a passive setup why dont you get a DSP and run your system active?

You can get the Dayton Audio DSP408 for $150 on partsexpress.com. Not only will this give you something fun to do with your son but when done right active setups sound so much better than passive. You get tuning control over everything, get the dsp and if you truly want to do it right get a USB Mic like the Dayton Audio Umm-6 and download REW on your laptop/computer and have a sound system that is top of the line. It will be something you can do with your son that will last as well. And its not like once you install the equipment your done, then the fun part starts of actually tuning the stereo. It's truly something you and your son can together for days, weeks hell even months depending on how into you guys get.

If you dont know what I'm talking about when I say going active look it up. Google going active with a dsp, that should get you started. Then once you understand the basis behind it look up the tuning guide written by Andy from Audiofrog. I think it might actually be on the Audiofrog website, if not a quick Google search will find it.

Like I said not only will this make your sons vehicle sound it's best but I also believe this is a great father/son activity, something you guys can do together not only inside the car but in your home on the computer adjusting your tune on the software and learning more about active setups and DSPs..

This would be my recommendation, even if you guys weren't doing it together. It's still IMO the best way to run the stereo for the best results...And remember to get some pics up once the install is done, maybe even ask the shop to take some for u if they will!
OP is using an old 2 channel amp for the fronts.  He will need to either get some components, passive crossovers, or a 4 channel amp with crossovers built in.

I will try to get some pictures up this week, I got my son's first stereo build finished. We went to a Stereo comp in Shreveport La this last Saturday 15th at Audio Anarchy, a great stereo shop IMO. This was our very first Stereo comp and we didn't really know what to expect but I have got to say every one we met was really nice, offered up advice for free and demoed to us their very nice builds.

My son took First place in Street 2 and he could not be happier. He did a 142.6 at 47 hz, good enough for 1st. We met some amazing people and had a really great time. I think my son is hooked and we talked about upgrading all the way home even though I just got this all finished with the help of Audio anarchy.

Final build.......For now in his 2002 Toyota 4 runner

Pioneer 500EX  HU

SSA Evil 6.5

Skar tweeters in pod's in A pillars

two 12" Amepere 2.5 subs in a ported box at 36Hz

Skar RP 1500.1 with Knu 0-Ga

Skar  RP 150.4 with Knu 4-Ga

Big 3 Knu- 0-ga

I'm already going to upgrade. I'm going to do sound deadening 100%,  I'm thinking about buying a better subwoofer amp and upgrading some electrical. Thanks every one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.