If anyone can lend some knowledge please help out .

i have an aftermarket stereo with recently upgraded door speakers , now I am trying to install a 5 channel amp and subwoofer so I could boost all the door speakers and also power my subwoofer.

I’m pretty confused on which wires have to run to which place , I wanted to just connect  the from the amp to the head unit to power all of the speakers from one place instead of running all new speaker wires. I’m trying to install this weekend just need more guidance

Thanks Guys 🤙

4 minutes ago, Loganc720 said:

If anyone can lend some knowledge please help out .

i have an aftermarket stereo with recently upgraded door speakers , now I am trying to install a 5 channel amp and subwoofer so I could boost all the door speakers and also power my subwoofer.

I’m pretty confused on which wires have to run to which place , I wanted to just connect  the from the amp to the head unit to power all of the speakers from one place instead of running all new speaker wires. I’m trying to install this weekend just need more guidance

Thanks Guys 🤙

You can certainly run wires from the amp to behind your head unit and feed your stock locations through the factory wires.  You will need to cut the wires so that the amp runs into the side that runs into the car and not into the head unit obviously.   Assuming HU was installed correctly there'll be a wiring harness that connects to the car's wiring harness and connected to the harness that plugs into the back of your HU.   The colors are standard so your + and - and left, right, front, rear will be easy enough to sort out.   When you run all your speaker wires use some masking tape to mark FR, FL, RR, RL wires at the amp side and the side that goes up front to save you some guess and test later.

If this doesn't make any sense post up pics of the knot of wires behind your head unit and someone here can help you from there.

5 minutes ago, hispls said:

You can certainly run wires from the amp to behind your head unit and feed your stock locations through the factory wires.  You will need to cut the wires so that the amp runs into the side that runs into the car and not into the head unit obviously.   Assuming HU was installed correctly there'll be a wiring harness that connects to the car's wiring harness and connected to the harness that plugs into the back of your HU.   The colors are standard so your + and - and left, right, front, rear will be easy enough to sort out.   When you run all your speaker wires use some masking tape to mark FR, FL, RR, RL wires at the amp side and the side that goes up front to save you some guess and test later.

If this doesn't make any sense post up pics of the knot of wires behind your head unit and someone here can help you from there.

Thanks so much, where do the RCA cables come into play?

Just now, Loganc720 said:

where do the RCA cables come into play?

Assuming you have a decent aftermarket HU there should be RCA outputs on the back of it, if not you really would be best to upgrade to one that has 6 RCA outs, they are clearly labeled and they run back to the amp along with the Rem+ (should be blue or blue/white from the head unit). 

If you've never done this sort of thing before make sure you give yourself plenty of time!   Installing an amp right will require running power cable up to the battery (hunt down a good factory hole or drill your own) and pulling out trim, seats, and carpet which can be pretty rough depending on the vehicle and is generally not anything you want to try to rush and start breaking panels.  If you don't really know that car it may well take you a long day to get this done.

I got trim tools and know my car pretty well , so I'm going to have to run both, speaker wires and rca to the HU? 

Also I'm not sure how many rca ports are on my HU . If there are less than 6 what should I do

Minor details.  HU's with front/rear/sub outs are almost standard these days.

Regardless, there are plenty of work arounds.  Some 5 ch's can accept 2 ch inputs and drive all 5 ch -- it just gives you minimal adjustability from the HU.

If your amp can't do that you may need to use some y cables.  Again, not a big deal.

'04 Chrysler Town & Country (it was cheap and I have a family)

• HU: Stock - Scosche SLC-4
  • Comps: Lanzar Opti6c w/Opti400x4d
  • Rear fill: Stock
  • Sub: Lanzar Opti1232D 3cf 29hz w/Zed Opti1000.1d

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now