People with discerning ears... Are sundown sa 8v3 d2 subwoofers musical?

I just bought my SSA F8Ls. Almost went with sundown SA8s, but I'm not really a sundown fan boy. And wanted to try the new SSA 8s. From what I gather, the SA8s are a better choice than the X8 for musical systems. But I believe the SSA F8L is for both. Very musical and still has enough excursion and power handling to pump out some SPL.

My .02 cents

I just bought my SSA F8Ls. Almost went with sundown SA8s, but I'm not really a sundown fan boy. And wanted to try the new SSA 8s. From what I gather, the SA8s are a better choice than the X8 for musical systems. But I believe the SSA F8L is for both. Very musical and still has enough excursion and power handling to pump out some SPL.

My .02 cents
Awesome, thank you for going SSA F8L!!

Are you looking for accurate transient response or just the ability to play low or both? What kind of music?

All of that depends on the install, there are a lot of variables that will make or break how it sounds.
Both. I listen to all genres, so i want musicality, accuracy and extension.

I am trying to get a tapered tline made, with most of my own design. Ive read this is best for what Im looking for.

So Im trying to find a good, musical subwoofer that has the ability to play low, and accurate, and hoping the tline will accentuate those qualities.

SD3 10 if you can fit that size in a .6 cu ft sealed box. Very very good sound quality subwoofer and yes I own one. Does even better in a 1 cu ft ported box tuned to 32.5 and sounds soooo good. 

SD3 10 if you can fit that size in a .6 cu ft sealed box. Very very good sound quality subwoofer and yes I own one. Does even better in a 1 cu ft ported box tuned to 32.5 and sounds soooo good. 
I have an sd3 10” also. It’s for a future build in a truck. Sundown says do not put in ported box not only on the website but also their YouTube page they did an excursion test and the guy said boldly do not put these in ported enclosures. I’ve definitely heard of people putting them in ported boxes but I wonder why Sundown is advising against it. 

I have an sd3 10” also. It’s for a future build in a truck. Sundown says do not put in ported box not only on the website but also their YouTube page they did an excursion test and the guy said boldly do not put these in ported enclosures. I’ve definitely heard of people putting them in ported boxes but I wonder why Sundown is advising against it. 
It is optimized for a sealed enclosure with a soft suspension and its thermal limits are low for a Sundown subwoofer. It’s got all the right technologies though for a good SQ subwoofer and if you design the box just right and keep the power in check and clean, it will deliver nice deep and clean distortion free bass in a ported box. Shredder actually designed the box for me and I built it exactly to those specifications and man o man does it sound good behind the seat of my regular cab pickup truck. I did previously run it in a .5 cu ft sealed box and it does sound great sealed, but ported is sounds better. 

I think Sundown has to keep true to their customer base where they under rate their subwoofers thermally and optimize many of them for ported enclosures. Take for example the SA series. It’s rated for 750 watts but can take more than double that without issue. Do that to a SD3, especially ported and it won’t take it thermally, and you can bottom it out with too much power relatively easily. BTW, I have an SA-12 and love that sub too. It’s a beast that also can sound good while getting loud at the same time. 

It’s got all the right technologies though for a good SQ subwoofer and if you design the box just right and keep the power in check and clean, it will deliver nice deep and clean distortion free bass in a ported box. Shredder actually designed the box for me and I built it exactly to those specifications and man o man does it sound good behind the seat of my regular cab pickup truck.
I agree... designing that box was VERY difficult as I had to account for a specific amount of throw and smallish volume to control it without limiting output on the power desired in a vented box.

sdypZV.jpg

As you see the desired power level and tune forced me to design something that actually wastes space in a sense but if dialed in it really should perform well.

Glad you're happy with the results man... took awhile to get it all dialed in didn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Always does in this hobby Shredder just because the car environment makes it so. I originally didn’t put those 4 corner blocks in and initially wasn’t as happy with the sound at first but then put the blocks in and tuned it a little more and now it’s perfect. Designed for sealed, yes, but the secret is out that the SD3 works great in the right ported box for SQ and if the person is smart with the power. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.