Hello!!! Advice on Subsonic Filter please!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dragonsyph

CarAudio.com Regular
Hello everyone, hope your all having a great day.  

I have a 6.5cub box ported to about 33hz.   The amp I'm looking to purchase has only ha ON/OFF subsonic filter set at 25hz with a 12db octave.    

The sub im getting is 4500 RMS so at rated power im guessing a 33hz box the sub won't ever reach Xmax no matter what i play,  But if said sub got 6000-8000 could that sub reach its XMax with a 33hz box and cause damage?

Would said 25hz subsonic work good or do i need to buy a DSP with an adjustable filter that i can set to like 27hz? 

The basic math rule of HALF an octave down to set subsonic, so at 33hz thats like 24.75 or something so 25hz would be good at rated power, but at higher power it can bottom out???

Last edited by a moderator:
Enter the sub parameters into winisd, and the box specs, and see what power it will take to reach xmax at a certain frequency. Or what frequency it will reach xmax with the given power.

Enter the sub parameters into winisd, and the box specs, and see what power it will take to reach xmax at a certain frequency. Or what frequency it will reach xmax with the given power.
Is that program pretty acruate or just a good thing to go by?  Another cool guy hooked me up and plotted them for me on another site, heres what he got.

.  Due note my sub is 33m not 32mm but doubt that makes much dif.   BUT at 33mm on the graph it does kinda show like 24-25hz would be fine at 7000 watts,  So a 25hz subsonic with a 12db octave should have enough of a roll off at 25hz i should be fine?

He also said this

""From the plots you can see that at 5K input you would reach the 32mm at say 23 Hz BUT at 7K you would reach Xmax at about 26Hz so the 25Hz subsinic filter is a better fit for 5K power if you want to keep in the linear region.""

I just wanna make TRIPLE sure i don't mess up my system. 

Is that program pretty acruate or just a good thing to go by?  Another cool guy hooked me up and plotted them for me on another site, heres what he got.

.  Due note my sub is 33m not 32mm but doubt that makes much dif.   BUT at 33mm on the graph it does kinda show like 24-25hz would be fine at 7000 watts,  So a 25hz subsonic with a 12db octave should have enough of a roll off at 25hz i should be fine?

He also said this

""From the plots you can see that at 5K input you would reach the 32mm at say 23 Hz BUT at 7K you would reach Xmax at about 26Hz so the 25Hz subsinic filter is a better fit for 5K power if you want to keep in the linear region.""

I just wanna make TRIPLE sure i don't mess up my system. 
Honestly the best bet is to listen to your system. You will hear if the sub starts making weird noises, or if your cooking the coil. I have gone for years without even using a subsonic. You just listen to the sub, if it starts moaning and groaning when playing low stuff, turn it down a little. It helps when your just starting with a new system to test and be careful. When you play new songs, just slowly turn the bass knob up and really listen to the sub.

That's a lot of Root Means Squared.   Precisely what sub and amp are you buying?

Orion HCCA5000.1DV2 and a Fi TEAM v2 18

Amp is rated 5000 watts at only 12.6v and only .,5 THD. 

So what im guessing is anything above 12.6 is going to net higher then 5000 RMS.   Iv seen these amps dyno for 7000-10000 with 14-16 volts.  Iv seen one dyno with the un cert test in burst mode over 14,000 watts which seems insane for a 5k amp.

The main reason im concerned is that that amp is SO underrated. 

Honestly the best bet is to listen to your system. You will hear if the sub starts making weird noises, or if your cooking the coil. I have gone for years without even using a subsonic. You just listen to the sub, if it starts moaning and groaning when playing low stuff, turn it down a little. It helps when your just starting with a new system to test and be careful. When you play new songs, just slowly turn the bass knob up and really listen to the sub.
Ya i feel ya, i just like triple checking stuff and being careful, so learning what u said should help me out a ton,   You ever use one of those bass knobs that have a clipping light on them?  Would something like that help out tell i get a feal(hear) for it?

I use to have a decent system with a RF 2500 amp and an SMD 18, but it was all set up and installed by my uncle is was good at this stuff,  Long story short, that ride was jacked and iv missed it ever since.

Orion HCCA5000.1DV2 and a Fi TEAM v2 18
You do have enough power there to break that sub if you're not careful.  Really hard telling if it'll ever have mechanical trouble though.  I tune a fair bit higher and don't run subsonic but I don't try to listen to whale songs or slowed music or anything that would push them.   If you only listen to normal music you very likely won't be trying to play mid 20hz and down and won't need to worry there, if you like to play slowed stuff or test tones you might consider tuning your box lower to keep it under control and allow you output.  25hz subsonic will definitely still be attenuating around your tuning frequency, test it out either way without going balls out and compare for yourself.   It should be about impossible for you to break that sub mechanically with the subsonic on but it may well rob you of output you want.  

Do be smart about turning it down if it starts getting stinky, and you're definitely going to want a lot of battery if you plan to see over 5000W.

You do have enough power there to break that sub if you're not careful.  Really hard telling if it'll ever have mechanical trouble though.  I tune a fair bit higher and don't run subsonic but I don't try to listen to whale songs or slowed music or anything that would push them.   If you only listen to normal music you very likely won't be trying to play mid 20hz and down and won't need to worry there, if you like to play slowed stuff or test tones you might consider tuning your box lower to keep it under control and allow you output.  25hz subsonic will definitely still be attenuating around your tuning frequency, test it out either way without going balls out and compare for yourself.   It should be about impossible for you to break that sub mechanically with the subsonic on but it may well rob you of output you want.  

Do be smart about turning it down if it starts getting stinky, and you're definitely going to want a lot of battery if you plan to see over 5000W.
Ya none of that stuff for me, only time is to tune probly,  99% of the time its just gonna be apple play and Amazon Music. 

Ya i can't wait try out all of this stuff again, i can fiddle with stuff for ever lol.  Someone also said i could buy a minidsp and use it for a filter to set to 27.  But i think i should learn my system and like u said to try it out with and without the subsonic and see how it performs.  Get used to it and learn to use it without the filter, in the end, is the goal i would assume.  

Ya none of that stuff for me, only time is to tune probly,  99% of the time its just gonna be apple play and Amazon Music. 

Ya i can't wait try out all of this stuff again, i can fiddle with stuff for ever lol.  Someone also said i could buy a minidsp and use it for a filter to set to 27.  But i think i should learn my system and like u said to try it out with and without the subsonic and see how it performs.  Get used to it and learn to use it without the filter, in the end, is the goal i would assume.  
if youre considering getting a minidsp and the cash isnt a problem, id say go for it and set the SSF for the freq your box is tuned to or 1 hz below

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.