Adding a powered sub...battery wire question

Participant count
  • Participant list

trickyrick

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am adding a powered sub to a new system I installed in my '95 Mercedes SL320. The existing system included a bose sub behind the front seat. As getting the battery wire to the battery in the trunk requires a lot of interior trim removal, I was wondering if I can pickup power from the multi pin connector from the bose sub no longer being used? The connector uses a female spade connection and I have confirmed I have the voltage at the pin, so I was thinking of adding a male spade connector to my battery wire from the amp and plug into the old amps connector??

Factory amps are generally low power.  Many "low power" aftermarket amps would be pretty powerful in comparision.  With more power comes more current demand.

So in order to use a stock wire for power you'd need to know with a high degree of certainty that the wire you're using is capable of supplying the current you need.

It would also be wise to know what protection (fuse) is in place on the wire.

Chances are it is routed in a bundle with a lot of other wires and if something bad happens you would risk damaging the wiring for the adjacent circuits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.