Resistor to reduce overpowering center channel

Participant count
  • Participant list

jshap4321

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi mates.  I was hoping for some guidance.  I have a Lexus with Mark Levinson sound.  The center channel speaker on the dash is too loud and overpowering.  It sounds like it’s the only speaker in the car.  I was thinking about installing a 4 ohm 25 watt resistor in-line by the amp on the center channel line to reduce the power and balance out the sound of all speakers.  There was a guy on a Lexus forum who claims he did this successfully.  Any advice?  Any pitfalls?  Any overheating problem I should anticipate?  Which type of resistor material would be best?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Your plan should work fine.  At 25W the resistor will be ceramic type.  It will get warm, maybe hot, so be sure to secure it safely away from wires or plastic.  Aluminum foil tape is a good product for securing these types of resistors.   Also, take care to heat shrink or otherwise insulate the leads and wires.  Soldering this resistor in place is recommended.

Your plan should work fine.  At 25W the resistor will be ceramic type.  It will get warm, maybe hot, so be sure to secure it safely away from wires or plastic.  Aluminum foil tape is a good product for securing these types of resistors.   Also, take care to heat shrink or otherwise insulate the leads and wires.  Soldering this resistor in place is recommended.
Thanks so much for the advice.  I have a wire wound resistor with aluminum casing (pictured below).  Pardon my ignorance as I’m a beginner:  How would I “secure” this resistor?  Do I wrap aluminum foil tape around the resistor itself?  What is the best way/location to mount the resister?  Thanks again!

A9717477-68A8-4D63-A29A-64E6EC83A732.jpeg

Thanks so much for the advice.  I have a wire wound resistor with aluminum casing (pictured below).  Pardon my ignorance as I’m a beginner:  How would I “secure” this resistor?  Do I wrap aluminum foil tape around the resistor itself?  What is the best way/location to mount the resister?  Thanks again!

View attachment 2502
Looks to me like that has mounting holes to screw it down to something.  I think KHA might have been thinking of the style that looks like a block of cement.  I think you should just leave some space around that heatsink on the resistor wherever you mount it. 

If screws are impractical you could probably use some small zip ties through those holes to keep it secure somewhere.  Hard telling what's best without seeing where you plan to cut the wire to your speaker.

Agreed. you may want to have enough wire soldered to mount the resistor in an easier location.  I agree you can just screw or zip tie the resistor in place.  just be sure to insulate the connections to prevent short circuits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jshap4321

CarAudio.com Newbie
jshap4321
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
keep_hope_alive