Factory Upgrade vs. Custom?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jhnahn

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi - first-time poster here.  We're a one-car family planning to replace our 2008 Maza3 5-door in the next few months.  Music is super important to me, so I'm wondering whether to go with whatever the manufacturer offers as the upgrade option or to forego the upgrade and have a custom system installed.  I'm curious to know thoughts about cost between the two options and, if we do go the custom route, convenience of install (how much time will we be without the new, shiny toy?) and aesthetic/space impact on the car (I can guarantee that my spouse will not be excited about new holes, sloppy cuts/lines, etc.).

We're looking at a range of vehicles, all crossover-type: Kia Niro, Subaru Outback, Volvo XC60, Mazda CX5, Volvo V60, Ford Escape.  Don't imagine that any of these have an excellent sound system stock?

TLDR: getting a new car - factory upgrade or custom system? 

Thanks for your help.

You should probably go test drive all of those vehicles and listen to all available sound systems. 

Keep in mind the premium factory stereos will be bundled with other features that you might not want, like a sunroof, nav, high trim levels etc.

If you want to go aftermarket, find a reputable local shop and get an idea of what they recommend and what their turn around time is and compare that price to the increase in price that the premium factory audio would add.

You can save a lot of money by installing the equipment yourself but if you don't know what you're doing then let a shop do it rather than hacking up a brand new car because that could potentially void the warranty. 

I would not recommend aftermarket audio in a hybrid because they don't have conventional electrical systems and you can run into serious problems because of the complex circuitry involved. I would look at a Kia Soul instead of the Niro if you want aftermarket audio in a box. 

I have yet to hear a factory stereo that impresses me, even the Burmeister factory audio that Mercedes uses was a disappointing. 

Subaru's Harman Kardon in my gfs 17 Forester was a let down and the premium factory system in her old 14 Escape was even worse. I don't remember how the CX5 was, we test drove a 2017 Grand Touring trim. I wouldn't expect much from Volvo either. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, good points.  What would you expect to pay for a nice system that gives a good upgrade on what's stock but doesn't go for audiophile money?

Thanks, good points.  What would you expect to pay for a nice system that gives a good upgrade on what's stock but doesn't go for audiophile money?
I have no clue what a shop charges for labor but a budget for parts of $1.5-2k would be a good starting point. That includes a dsp, 2 sets of speakers, sub/enclosure, 5ch amp and all necessary wiring and a small amount of sound deadening.

Sure you could go cheaper at the expense of quality and reliability but if this is your only vehicle then why cut corners like that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.