RPM Drop When Bass Hits

Participant count
  • Participant list

lowcord

CarAudio.com Newbie
I need some help, I'm currently running a Sundown X10v2 hooked up to a Hifonics 2K wired at 1ohm. I've got a 270 amp alt with full NVX 0 gauge and a duralast gold battery up front and a XS Power XP2500 in the trunk. Everytime I come to a stop or play my system loud at idle my alt always drops my engine rpms so much that the engine almost shuts off, it never does however. I'm just curious because I would think I have enough electrical to handle 2000 watts without my alt constantly needing to draw the full power for every quick hit of bass. If anyone could offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!IMG_0975.JPG

I need some help, I'm currently running a Sundown X10v2 hooked up to a Hifonics 2K wired at 1ohm. I've got a 270 amp alt with full NVX 0 gauge and a duralast gold battery up front and a XS Power XP2500 in the trunk. Everytime I come to a stop or play my system loud at idle my alt always drops my engine rpms so much that the engine almost shuts off, it never does however. I'm just curious because I would think I have enough electrical to handle 2000 watts without my alt constantly needing to draw the full power for every quick hit of bass. If anyone could offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!View attachment 2453
its your alt straining and putting more load on the serpentine belt. The ELD kicked in and said that the alt needs to kick it up an notch and engaged the clutch on the alt pulley and gave it more tension driving the dc generating alternator more

No.  You really don't have enough electrical to hold solid voltage on 2K (likely inefficient at that), and if you don't have a car with a big engine loading down a 270A alternator will certainly bog down the engine.   

I competed in a 2k class for a while and 2K amp running hard was a strain even with HO alternator and an addiitonal 55AH battery. 

No.  You really don't have enough electrical to hold solid voltage on 2K (likely inefficient at that), and if you don't have a car with a big engine loading down a 270A alternator will certainly bog down the engine.   

I competed in a 2k class for a while and 2K amp running hard was a strain even with HO alternator and an addiitonal 55AH battery. 
Interesting because my friend has a stock 2.0 Jetta running the same amp as me at 1ohm 2K Watts as well on factory alt and single battery and while his lights slightly dim that’s all that happens at full volume. I guess my alt is just to much for my 2.2 liter engine. I think I’m going to look into raising my idle, that may help.

Raise your idle or add something that has capacity at 14v+

I would think a bank of caps or the LTO cells would help, but it really depends how much current you pull from them. 

Another option is an alternator clutch, I don't see them often but I do know they exist. You'd get less idle output when the clutch lets out but it'd solve your issue

It looks like you're doing a lot right so far though

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Even with two D3100s and a 250 amp alt, my engine idle can get hurt after period of time.  Right now I only have one Wolfram C-2400.1. Why I am yanking the AGMs in favor of a 75ah Lithium cell.

Interesting because my friend has a stock 2.0 Jetta running the same amp as me at 1ohm 2K Watts as well on factory alt and single battery and while his lights slightly dim that’s all that happens at full volume. I guess my alt is just to much for my 2.2 liter engine. I think I’m going to look into raising my idle, that may help.
Could be your friend has a different vehicle/sub/box and his amp is seeing double or triple the impedance your amp is seeing?    Could be voltage is still sagging significantly, could also be that his car's ECM is better/faster at revving up the engine when it loads down?  My point stands, if this is causing trouble for you, SOMETHING is obviously inadequate!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.