New Car Intergrated Infotainment Centers.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello Everyone.

So few weeks back a friend of mind,  who knows and heard my sound system in my 04 Tacoma xcab truck, asked me about her car infotainment. I did not know what to tell her.

So for general discussion. I see in last few years many new cars are coming equipped with a all in one infotainment system. You know the system has the one monitor screen that shows all the audio and engine and other information on the car. I am used to the older cars that have the separate audio dash deck, double or single din units, RCA jacks and so on. Mount the HU and use the RCA 6ch output to amps and speakers and subs.  I have driven many of the cars as rentals do to my job and travel.  Many of the cars don't even have a place to mount a new deck unit, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine so on.         I have to say that many of the new cars i drove as rentals the sound system had a lot to be desired.  

So with that said. My question is,  What is the latest on how you go about adding a new sound with say high power amps and subs and speakers so on.  Is there any new say add on component that will interface to the cars infotainment system or say the audio output from the infotainment audio system unit.  What do you have to do to add a new high quality sound system without ruining or damaging the infotainment software or unit.  I would like some comments and if possible maybe some detail on how it is done.  Maybe list the names of equipment or components to use.

Thanks          

If you want to keep the factory headunit:

Proper way: DSP

Half ass cut corners asking for problems way: LOC

There are kits out there for some vehicles that retain factory a/c controls and a single or double din size opening for an aftermarket headunit.

If you want to keep the factory headunit:

Proper way: DSP

Half ass cut corners asking for problems way: LOC

There are kits out there for some vehicles that retain factory a/c controls and a single or double din size opening for an aftermarket headunit.
Agreed upon this. Dont expect to get out cheap either on these newer vehicles while retaining the existing HU

ok thanks for your reply but I still am a little confused.  You both say use a DSP unit.  But what if the car has a infotainment screen that say handles the audio and the climate controls and the other car features all in one unit. How do you get the stock system to work with aftermarket amps and speakers.  The car has everything in one software system on a screen.  The factory system has no say RCA outputs and only has some speaker wires coming out to the factory speakers. Many amps have high level inputs, is that what you have to do by wiring the factory speaker wires to the say the amp then install the aftermarket speakers.

Or does this DSP unit have the high level inputs that you wire the factory speaker wires to and then use the RCA outputs to the amps.  That is what I'm trying to understand here. then this DSP unit has all the setting so you can set the sound how you want it.  It sounds like the old school DSP EQ units we had back in the day. At one time i had that Alpins DSP EQ unit that had the spectrum analyzer and sound effects and you mounted that big box unit under seat.  is this the about same thing just it has the high level speaker wire inputs from this factory infotainment system. So insted of using a RCA output plug you have to use the speaker wires inputs.  Am i on the right track here?   Back in the day the speaker wire inputs never sounded good compared to using the RCA plug.  

Need and want to understand this new stuff.  Please help and give me some detail on how this stuff works.  

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.