JL Audio 10" Basswedge vs 10" Microsub

Participant count
  • Participant list

k_h_d

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am having some new speakers (Kenwood excelon) installed in my 4Runner as well as a small subwoofer/amplifier.  I initially decided to go with the JL Audio 10" basswedge (10W0v3) powered by a JL Audio RD500/1.

I am after good bass sound that I can feel inside the car but I don't need to be heard down the street.  I like the compact look of the 10" Microsub (10TW1) as it would look a little more stealth in the back.

Will I still get good bass from the microsub with the same amp or will the Basswedge be noticeably more powerful?

The bass wedge will be more efficient due to the ported box design compared to the JL Microsub used by the same amplifier.  It comes down to your preference of accommodating either subwoofer box in your vehicle. Personally, I would settle for the Bass wedge since you have a 4 runner.  The micro subwoofer would be more suited to a sedan or hatchback being a smaller distance from the driver to trunk area where the subwoofer is placed.  if you place the subwoofer facing the cars body panel (placed facing the side if you opened your trunk area, then you will have extra DB's due to cabin gain transfer.   However, I rather you do your own experiments with the dedicated subwoofer box you wish to run in your car.  You can always borrow a mates box to trial in your vehicle against the Bass wedge.  The micro sub is a sealed enclosure so its always good to trial a sealed vs ported box.  Another factor is the JL Bass wedge have newer driver with a higher wattage compared to the old JL Microsub which was rated at 300watts peak. The bass Wedge is rated at 300RMS so again, with power amps being cheaper today, the Bass Wedge will serve you a long time as long as you respect your audio gear and turn it down when you hear distortion.  Hope this helps you out mate!

20170225_094549.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.