Adding 3.5mm jack to my old car stereo

Participant count
  • Participants list

neonbulb

CarAudio.com Newbie
Guys,

I have an old car stereo - Pioneer DEH-2750MP - bought in 2005 and it is still working without any issues. It has only CD player input and no 3.5mm aux input nor Bluetooth input. I'm planning to add at least 3.5mm aux input.

I haven't unscrewed it from the car so I don't know how it's rear looks like. So I searched for the images on web and found some (see attached)

I read somewhere that the RCA jacks behind the player is called preout-rear. I don't know what does it mean. So I'm asking that can we connect a '3.5mm jack to RCA' to this RCA port? Or is there any way to attach a 3.5mm jack to this player?

1712e94c00a471c3fee47abcde7edcdb9bb9c460.jpg

Guys,

I have an old car stereo - Pioneer DEH-2750MP - bought in 2005 and it is still working without any issues. It has only CD player input and no 3.5mm aux input nor Bluetooth input. I'm planning to add at least 3.5mm aux input.

I haven't unscrewed it from the car so I don't know how it's rear looks like. So I searched for the images on web and found some (see attached)

I read somewhere that the RCA jacks behind the player is called preout-rear. I don't know what does it mean. So I'm asking that can we connect a '3.5mm jack to RCA' to this RCA port? Or is there any way to attach a 3.5mm jack to this player?

View attachment 2386

Doubtful, and really these days you could probably buy a discontinued model of something pretty nice for short money anyway.   Really 3.5mm headphone jack has always been a very poor source, prone to being noisy and all around low quality.   I would highly suggest figuring out a different method to plan around.

Really for the cost of some new dongle, a bunch of wires, then having just a crap source you can buy something with bluetooth AND 3.5MM input for <100$   https://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=136243&picture_id=-1

I haven't used that particular one, but I'm running Sony head units in both my vehicles now and have been very happy with them and would have high hopes.  I'm sure the other major brands (Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Alpine) should have comparable price/feature options.

What precisely are you trying to use for a source?

You can get mp3 to radio adapter thing. My mate had one. You plug it into the cigarette lighter. Than plug your aux into it and it gives off a radio frequency for your radio. Probably not much dearer to just get a new radio and will be a bit better and last you another 10 years before you wanna upgrade again.

Doubtful, and really these days you could probably buy a discontinued model of something pretty nice for short money anyway.   Really 3.5mm headphone jack has always been a very poor source, prone to being noisy and all around low quality.   I would highly suggest figuring out a different method to plan around.

Really for the cost of some new dongle, a bunch of wires, then having just a crap source you can buy something with bluetooth AND 3.5MM input for <100$   https://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=136243&picture_id=-1

I haven't used that particular one, but I'm running Sony head units in both my vehicles now and have been very happy with them and would have high hopes.  I'm sure the other major brands (Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Alpine) should have comparable price/feature options.

What precisely are you trying to use for a source?
Thank you for the reply. I have a good Bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm output pin. I'm planning to pair my phone with this adapter and playing the audio through 3.5mm to car stereo.

You can get mp3 to radio adapter thing. My mate had one. You plug it into the cigarette lighter. Than plug your aux into it and it gives off a radio frequency for your radio. Probably not much dearer to just get a new radio and will be a bit better and last you another 10 years before you wanna upgrade again.
I have a lighter-car-charger and I use it almost all the time to charge my phone when I'm inside the car. I tried that kind of adapter but the sound is not clear and also a bit of noisy. I think playing sound from my phone and connect it to a Bluetooth adapter and connect it's 3.5mm pin to car stereo using any cable or something.

I have one more question that what is the use of that RCA port? Can we just directly connect any RCA to 3.5mm adapter?

I have one more question that what is the use of that RCA port? Can we just directly connect any RCA to 3.5mm adapter?
Thats an output port, useless for anything you are thinking of. 

never do this cigarette lighter transmitter junk. You the worst kind of garbage sound possible comes out of this. 

definitely just retire that stereo completely unless you have sentimental value to it. You will end up just wasting unnecessary time, money and stress over trying to ghetto rig this dinosaur head unit and then end up buying a new head unit anyways vs just getting a head unit now and avoiding all that hassle, stress and wasted money.

I'm planning to pair my phone with this adapter and playing the audio through 3.5mm to car stereo.
Those are always a very weak link.  Use a head unit that can get audio via USB or Bluetooth.  The 3.5mm jack is designed to power headphones and if you amplify that signal beyond that half a watt or whatever it almost always introduces distortion/noise.  Really a head unit that old is completely obsolete by every measure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.