Evaluating a Factory Fitted Crossover...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Heathens

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am wanting to upgrade the factory fitted speakers in my car.

The rear speakers are coax. The fronts have mid ranges in the doors, and tweeters in the dash.

I can simply replace all four with coax, but i'd like to make the fronts Components. Instead of hunting around in the small confines, can I use a multi-meter/ohmmeter to figure out what impedance, frequency the present crossover is?

can I use a multi-meter/ohmmeter to figure out what impedance, frequency the present crossover is?
No.   You would need a tone generator and good DMM or scope.  Impractical.   Best to run fresh wires from the source as whatever you're replacing may be different impedance which would move effective crossover points significantly.

How do you know your factory system has passive crossovers to begin with? I've seen them set up such that they're crossed over at the headunit, or they simply have a small inline capacitor which you can just remove.

As said, measuring the factory crossovers is overcomplicating it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.