Something isn't right...

Participant count
  • Participant list

ninesixworm

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I've hooked up about 5 different systems before. I know the basics but am absolutely stumped now.

My little brother bought his first system last week and we finally got around to putting it all together and in his car.  A Skar ZVX-15v2 Dual 2ohm and a Skar RP-1500.1. I wired the subwoofer to 1ohm. After all was said and done the speaker was barely getting powered... I've never had this issue, we turned the gain all the way up and the bass knob on maximum. Even had the bass eq on set to 12db. Obviously that should've at least made very loud burps or blow the speaker, but it sounded like we had a small 10 in a tiny box... It was making some noise but you could definitely tell it wasn't getting proper power... Definitely not the 2300rms rating for the amp we had. Could it be the power and ground wire to the amp? The lights arent flashing when the bass hits so it cant be the battery... I am just really confused here and would like a second opinion. The car is a 2000 BMW 328i.

So I've hooked up about 5 different systems before. I know the basics but am absolutely stumped now.

My little brother bought his first system last week and we finally got around to putting it all together and in his car.  A Skar ZVX-15v2 Dual 2ohm and a Skar RP-1500.1. I wired the subwoofer to 1ohm. After all was said and done the speaker was barely getting powered... I've never had this issue, we turned the gain all the way up and the bass knob on maximum. Even had the bass eq on set to 12db. Obviously that should've at least made very loud burps or blow the speaker, but it sounded like we had a small 10 in a tiny box... It was making some noise but you could definitely tell it wasn't getting proper power... Definitely not the 2300rms rating for the amp we had. Could it be the power and ground wire to the amp? The lights arent flashing when the bass hits so it cant be the battery... I am just really confused here and would like a second opinion. The car is a 2000 BMW 328i.
Check the wiring. Sounds like maybe you reversed something while wiring the speaker and speaker to the amp. I did this the other day on accident because of how large my new box is in my car I did not take the time to look at how I labeled my terminals. Wired two 12s in Series parallel but when I ran the positive and negative side to the second speaker I ran the positive to the negative terminal and negative to the positive terminal (reversed them). 

Check the wiring. Sounds like maybe you reversed something while wiring the speaker and speaker to the amp. I did this the other day on accident because of how large my new box is in my car I did not take the time to look at how I labeled my terminals. Wired two 12s in Series parallel but when I ran the positive and negative side to the second speaker I ran the positive to the negative terminal and negative to the positive terminal (reversed them). 
I've checked and everything is right... Positive to positive, negative to negative... Everything is even color coded. Do you maybe think it could be the inline fuse on the power cord?

I've checked and everything is right... Positive to positive, negative to negative... Everything is even color coded. Do you maybe think it could be the inline fuse on the power cord?
No. That would have nothing to do with output.  Did you check your RCA connection from the deck to the amp is good?  Take a volt ohm meter and check the resistance of the speaker wire terminals where they hook into the amp just to make sure they are wired to what they should be...

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe...If you wired the RCA from the HU out of the SW output then make sure in the Head Unit that if there is a subwoofer output setting that it is set to on. Or if you have it wired from a full range channel that the crossover setting for that channel is set to Through.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.