Installed dual Boston Acoustics 12.5LF in infinite baffle

Participant count
  • Participant list

DRBOOM

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Hey there guys and girls.  Im in Sydney Australia.  I have a small SUV , a Mitsubishi ASX and done some extensive work in the boot area.  Sound deadened the whole area after removing the space saver tyre, trunk lid, side rear panels, made a false floor with some 4x2 timber screwed to the original screw thread points.  Liquid nails was applied to additional 4x2 timber to raise the height to accommodate the spare wheel.  Additional 2 x 2 inch timber was used to make a frame around the 3/4 inch marine ply which had hinges installed to access the spare wheel.  A H frame was added to mount the amplifiers  on either side and the top baffle was used to mount the subwoofers firing towards the rear windshield glass.   Cardboard was used to create a template to seal the side curved plastic areas and then 5mm mdf was used to cut the shape.  The cut outs was then sealed with wadding (dacron) with staples and then I use black automotive carpet to cover the waddings.  The cut out on either side was then screwed to the H wood panels.    The main wood baffle which originally housed a pair of Rockford Fostgate P215S4 Subwoofers where removed.  This top baffle also had wadding around the edges facing the rear so it created a good seal in the boot area.  

To install the Boston subwoofers I used a 1/2 inch MDF since I original board was 3/4 inch marine plywood.  and screwed the board securely to the to baffle.  Before the board was screwed in, I sprayed it with kwick glue and applied black automotive carpet to it.  The raised curved baffle created a good impression with the two Boston Acoustics subwoofers.  I checked the Bostons FS of 31Hz and the QTS of 0.57 may work for me.  I understood from the Boston's speaker manual, they take 1 cu feet sealed boxes but with this specs, I thought I give them a run as they were laying in my garage for a while. 

I am running them with a Phoenix gold RX1100.1 amplifier and they are single 4 ohm voice coils.  I am feeding them 444rms per woofer and man, this subwoofers POUND!!!!.  The minute I powered them up, I noticed the snap bass response which hit hard and was detailed.   The Rockford's did not perform the same way being larger subwoofers. I also have a pair of Soundstream old school Rubicon 12's that I may also try out but so far the Boston's are keeping me very impressed.  My boot area is specified as 14.9 cubic feet, its not too big but I thought it was still small for a pair of 15 inch subwoofers.  So far I am really impressed with these gorgeous subwoofers that many SQ fanatics around the world have heard good reputation for this awesome subwoofer.  I do wish that Boston goes back to car audio gear but wishful thinking :rolleyes:   My other audio gear is a Precision Power PC450 amplifier running Boston Pro 6.4fs, and a pair of Rockford co ax in the rear.  I have put pictures of my old system with the Rockford Fosgate subwoofers just to provide an impression. I will add the new pics soon! :)

Anyway, please feel free to comment

1526539283364.jpg

1526539282807.jpg

1526539282705.jpg

1526982744450.jpg

1526539280089.jpg

1517630148331.jpg

1524974338155.jpg

I love Boston subs! I've never owned any 12.5LFs but I've owned many of the G series. I still own 11 G1 12s and I really regret selling off my G5 12s.

I don't think the specs on the 12.5LFs are ideal for infinite baffle but if you're happy then fuck it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks THATpurpleKush!

I know the specs on the Boston states exactly 1 cubic feet box.  I look at the FS and the QTS of 0.55 so I thought I give it a go.  With 444rms on each voice coil, it sounds good, does not bottom out, has a smooth roll off and plays with authority and clarity.  I can understand why many SQ Buffs still regard these subwoofers highly,  I may also try out my dual SoundStream Rubicon 12's but I am waiting on those 5 way binding speaker posts so I can solder them to the speaker terminals for ease of installation. So far, I will run the Boston and put some pics up here! :suave:

I still have my Boston Pro 12 in a 1 cube sealed box .. I have had this since ..  wow .. I don't know how long .. 20 years?

Still kicks but I always have fed it high clean power and always minded its limits .. 

Seems to me the weak link is the seat back.  True infinite baffle relies on complete and thorough sealing off the cabin from whatever space the back wave fires into. 

Also, not sure if they got it over there but you might look for some soft foam pipe insulation to do around those back edges.  It'll be a better seal than whatever you're using, the soft stuff is very flexible, and it'll come black and look a bit cleaner. 

bd425479-82fb-4546-bba3-bb1735ac5a58.JPG

Thanks hispls!

Currently, I have dacron , heaps of it around the baffle board and then I have stapled the black automotive carpet over it.  I have 1 metre White LED strip light just under the baffle so I switched it on to see if there was any sign of light glowing when the trunk lid is closed.  So far its all good.  I have used a lot of dacron around the baffle and that's the reason it creates a rounded bulging look from the outside. :rolleyes:

I used 5mm mdf on the sides behind the seats to shape the wood, apply dacron and cover with black carpet so to create a sealed area in the trunk to the best of my ability.  So far the bass is..enormous!!   It probably peaks at 50Hz but yesterday I bought an SPL hand held meter so I will give it a try this weekend to see where it stands.  I cannot go back to boxed subwoofers as I love the smooth roll off that blends in well with the front stage.  We do have those foam hoses here. They are more for sealing air conditioning pipes.  I have used them before in my previous Subaru Imprezza with the same infinite baffle set up.

I will see how it works out then if its not working then will definitely consider those.

Thanks again for your advice, mate!

I peaked at 117db at 50Hz.  They sound very efficient but I am feeding them 444rms per subwoofer though!

Here's the latest photos of the install.  You cannot see them with the trunk lid open due to the custom grill cover or even from the bottom unless you peak past the umbrella.  Its surprising they sound very tight as well.

Having a low resonant frequency and a QTS of 0.57, I took these factors into consideration before attempting to use them.  I also tried out the old school Soundstream Rubicon 12 inch and they also done a good job, although not as tight as the Boston's though.

1542836698062.jpg

1543795044957.jpg

1543795070206.jpg

1543795113456.jpg

1543614300075.jpg

hey I’m in NZ and can see the thread from your Boston arrangement.

The Dacron to use is called Angel Hair , it is superior to the polyester dacron but reasonably pricey.  This hair stuff I noticed on eBay and used it with client’s sub install.

BTW I am a Boston fan and running the 6.43 front three way active.  They’re great speakers.  

Cheers, Richie.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.