Install help

Participant count
  • Participant list

jarreau2001

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or help. Let me start off admitting I am really confused about impedance and series / parallel wiring. I know what impedance is but not sure about how wiring plays into it.

I have a 10DCVR122 Kicker box. It's a 2 ohm ported box with (2) 12" woofers. To power it I have a 2 channel Crunch AutoTek TA1250.2 amplifier (600 watts RMS @ 2ohms). I know it's a little amp but it's what I have.

Anyhow, I'm using the speaker level input instead of RCA. Power, ground, and remote all seem to function fine. My issue is connecting the amp to the box. While there are two speakers in the box, there is only one connector on the box. My assumption is I needed to bridge the left and right terminals on the amp, but when I do that, I get no sound to the box. The only way I get sound to the box is if I hook up the right or the left. That ***** because then only one speaker is playing at a time (I think). How can I get both speakers to play simultaneously?

I do NOT have a multimeter.

I have pics attached in case it helps. I'm thinking maybe the bridging is correct but the amp switches and levels need configuring. Any help is appreciated. g2060DCVR12-F.jpegautotek-amplifiers-ta-ta12502.jpgautotek-amplifiers-ta-ta12502-back.jpg

Ok the Kicker box terminals is clearly marked 2 ohm so you have to use the Bridged terminal on your amplifier to connect the wires to it.  Just make sure your amp does 2 ohms in bridge mode and that should be ok then.

Read your amplifier manual if you are not sure is its usually not written on the reverse side of the amp.   Secondly, invest in a multimeter is its your best friend when it comes to car audio and it takes the guess work out of installation. 

Hope this helps you out mate!

20151121_095622.jpg

Thanks DrBoom. So what I found is that bridged mode does actually work. The output is just so low, I have to really crank the system up to hear it through the box and there's hardly any bass.

I also found that both speakers are actually in use when I have the box wired to the right or left channel (the box is wired in series). Again, I had to crank it up some to see both speakers flexing. I have it like this now. I tuned it with a 40hz bass tone and it sounds great.

Temp on the amp stayed low after an hour of straight thumping. I think it's good to go. I do still need to confirm the ohm difference bridged and unbridged. Im going to reach out to AutoTek.

Thanks again!

Thanks DrBoom. So what I found is that bridged mode does actually work. The output is just so low, I have to really crank the system up to hear it through the box and there's hardly any bass.

I also found that both speakers are actually in use when I have the box wired to the right or left channel (the box is wired in series). Again, I had to crank it up some to see both speakers flexing. I have it like this now. I tuned it with a 40hz bass tone and it sounds great.

Temp on the amp stayed low after an hour of straight thumping. I think it's good to go. I do still need to confirm the ohm difference bridged and unbridged. Im going to reach out to AutoTek.

Thanks again!
i'd just get a new amp man.. power acoustic 2300 or 2500 idk at walmart actually tested at 600rms @2 ohm (it's same amp as ppi ion 650) they like $69  your AT

probably does 350rms at best (i have a sma1600 practically new here used 3 months, i drive like 50 miles a week) but for now set your lp xover at 70-80hz (lots of new guys set those at 40hz, it's only plays below where u set that) if it has a ss filter set it just below port tuning if ported i can't tell.. if sealed box turn that off or set at 20hz..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.