Diamond D3 10 box design help

Participant count
  • Participant list

YukonXL04

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, looking for some help on designing a box for this diamond D3 10 I have laying around. It will be used in my garage with a 200w sub plate amp I have. Both are laying around and would like to put them to use. 

Efficiency is going to be key here. Looking for a bandwidth of roughly 28-55 hz or so. Was thinking maybe 4th or 6th order. Maybe even a 1/4 wave T Line. Need some good output vs a standard 1.0 ported box it's in now. Tuned to 35hz currently. It plays well, I just have a large pro audio 2way cabinets its gotta hang with. Really only at low to mid volume. No way will it hang when cranked up though. Max dimensions are roughly 18wx26h x 24d smaller in all directions would be preferred though. TS specs attatched.

SmartSelect_20181120-175634_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D3s are nice subs. They slightly favor a ported enclosure so a standard ported or 6th order would most likely work best. Specs don't favor a t line. If you want efficiency go with a larger volume but you will sacrifice sq- group delay will probably be elevated. I can play around with it in BBP and see how it models. 

D3s are nice subs. They slightly favor a ported enclosure so a standard ported or 6th order would most likely work best. Specs don't favor a t line. If you want efficiency go with a larger volume but you will sacrifice sq- group delay will probably be elevated. I can play around with it in BBP and see how it models. 
Yea it always been a nice sub to keep around. Gets used here and there. It's in a ported dayton box right now. I could build better, but want something with more output. With a space nearly 6.5 cubes gross, a 6th should be doable. It wont have much cabin gain being in a 22x22 garage, near the middle, firing towards the wall has been working best. 

I just dont have BBP, only winisd. If you could get me some net specs I can design and build the box. A series tuned 6th would be easier to design around, but a parallel is doable as well.

I appreciate the help alot! 

Here's just a quick comparison:

ported- 2cf tuned to 30hz is loud down low but sacrifices sq

4th order 1cf sealed .3 ported tuned to 50hz has a nice bandwidth and would sound the best compared to the others but substantially sacrifices output

6th order 2cf tuned to 30hz .55 tuned to 60hz has a pretty flat response curve and would be the loudest, but sound quality is substantially sacrificed.

How important is efficiency compared to sound quality?  All 3 of those designs have the bandwidth you are looking for with ease. The problem is how bad do you want to compromise sq in order to get loud.

Thanks alot! Honestly I'm not well versed on group delay, just did some brief research on it and most are just arguing whether it's even audible to the human ear. I might be able to reduce the effects with time alignment as well. So say group delay starts at 20ms at 60hz and rises to 70ms at 20hz, perhaps I can reduce 20ms on the sub. If I understand that properly.

I'm running some Klipsh 15" ported 2way cabinets with compression drivers. They actually sound excellent on most rock or country.  I just need this sub to handle rap duties. So a sacrifice in sound quality I'm fine with. Let's say for this garage I'm ok if this diamond sound about like a kicker cvr, but no worse than that if that gives you any perspective.

Basically you want a low group delay overall. However it will never be completely zero. You also want the line as flat as possible across the frequency range, so all the notes sound the same. Sharp spikes aren't ideal unless its at the low or high cutoff points where you'll rarely play.

If you have time alignment adjustment that will help to a certain degree but it will only go so far. 

For what you want I'd probably just go with a big low tuned ported design. If you hate it, punch the hole out to accept a 12 and sell it and use the proceeds to make another. 

Here are some plots. I included the suggested size by the manufacturer along with a small low tuned box. I didn't play with the 4th and 6th orders much, I just used what the program spit out for high fidelity and adjusted them slightly. I figured 0 room gain so there is no low end boost because it will be playing in the middle of a large room. You might experience a tiny bit of room gain but I'm not counting on it. All ports used are 3 inches in diameter. 

View attachment D3 10.pdf

Here are some plots. I included the suggested size by the manufacturer along with a small low tuned box. I didn't play with the 4th and 6th orders much, I just used what the program spit out for high fidelity and adjusted them slightly. I figured 0 room gain so there is no low end boost because it will be playing in the middle of a large room. You might experience a tiny bit of room gain but I'm not counting on it. All ports used are 3 inches in diameter. 

View attachment 2329
Man that's awesome! I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to try the 6th. Mainly because I have never built one. And I like to experiment. Also looks like the group delay is pretty bad on the large ported as well.

You plotted for a single 3" on each ported chamber of the 6th? Seems small on the 2 cube side lol.

I'll work on building it this weekend hopefully! Cant wait. Thanks to Shredder for making me want to build and experiment hahaha

Man that's awesome! I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to try the 6th. Mainly because I have never built one. And I like to experiment. Also looks like the group delay is pretty bad on the large ported as well.

You plotted for a single 3" on each ported chamber of the 6th? Seems small on the 2 cube side lol.

I'll work on building it this weekend hopefully! Cant wait. Thanks to Shredder for making me want to build and experiment hahaha
The big ported design would sound good down to about the mid to upper 30s then would get boomier the lower you played. It will sound good on most music that hasn't been rebassed. 

Imo there is no point in playing stuff that had been rebassed to play low notes if you dont have any cabin gain like what a vehicle has.

The 6th is a parallel tuned not series tuned 6th. 

3inch ports are fine if you're only using 200w. 

The big ported design would sound good down to about the mid to upper 30s then would get boomier the lower you played. It will sound good on most music that hasn't been rebassed. 

Imo there is no point in playing stuff that had been rebassed to play low notes if you dont have any cabin gain like what a vehicle has.

The 6th is a parallel tuned not series tuned 6th. 

3inch ports are fine if you're only using 200w. 
Awesome. I'll see how much wood I have laying around. I might build both. I have a 12w6v2 I could throw in the 2cube ported box if I dont like the D3 10. It's in a 1.5 sealed as of now. I put it in and out of my truck on the 30 side of the 70/30 split. Once I order my 8s for the truck the 12w6 will be a spare as well. Got 2 alpine type s 10s laying around too hahaha.

Need to order a 500w plate amp and a new 18 for my 6 cube box in my garage. But hoping the D3 10 will hold me over atleast till after Christmas 

20181120_114420.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.