Total Noob, Wanting to Learn

Participant count
  • Participant list

Photo

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm a noob who has no idea what I'm doing, but I'm looking to learn. Currently I'm running a Sony Mex-n5100bt for the deck

Skar Audio SDR-15 dvc 2ohm powered by a Rockford Punch p650.2

Two Rockford r2d2 12"s powered by an Alpine mrv-m500

The 12s are in a sealed enclosure, as well as the 15". I bought the 12s a month ago and everything was fine till yesterday when one of them blew. 

Is it possible to find a ported enclosure for 2 12's with subs for $300? I don't want to get the bottom of the barrel equipment anymore, but I definitely can't afford the best.

$300 is pushing the limits for my budget, so I'd even be cool with something used. I can't buy right away, I'm just looking at my options ahead of time. It could be about two weeks from now.

I'm a noob who has no idea what I'm doing, but I'm looking to learn. Currently I'm running a Sony Mex-n5100bt for the deck

Skar Audio SDR-15 dvc 2ohm powered by a Rockford Punch p650.2

Two Rockford r2d2 12"s powered by an Alpine mrv-m500

The 12s are in a sealed enclosure, as well as the 15". I bought the 12s a month ago and everything was fine till yesterday when one of them blew. 

Is it possible to find a ported enclosure for 2 12's with subs for $300? I don't want to get the bottom of the barrel equipment anymore, but I definitely can't afford the best.

$300 is pushing the limits for my budget, so I'd even be cool with something used. I can't buy right away, I'm just looking at my options ahead of time. It could be about two weeks from now.
Why even buy more equipment?

Seems to me that you've got some space available if you got 3 sealed enclosures and mixing drivers/sizes is never a good idea.

I'd recommend using what you got to start and re-enclosing that 15 in a ported box with the punch amp.

Maybe selling the surviving 12 and alpine, buying some wood and joining the ranks of DIY enthusiasts who have actually learned how to build their own enclosure.

The result MIGHT surprise you.

Welcome to the forum... lotsa great guidance/advice on here.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
x2, i wouldnt get new gear.  id build a box for the 15" or buy one and run it only.  i wouldnt run the 12" with it.  no need

Cool. I'm ordering a ported 15 box this week and ditching the 12s. Can't wait to hear the difference.

Mate, if possible don't use ported and sealed subwoofer box at any one time in the same vehicle. 
Cool. Thank you. I wasn't planning on it. I already took the 12s out so now it's just my 15 currently sealed. As soon as the ported box gets here I'll be switching boxes.

Nice move!  With ported enclosure, you get more efficiency so you can turn your amplifier gain down to get the same level of bass you got with a sealed enclosure.  Let us know how you go once you get the new box and give it a run!  Awesome mate!  For me, I cannot go past infinite baffle install. I just love the smooth roll off and my boot space!

20140704_161437.jpg

I have zero experience running one of those, a little replacing them with a lower tuned enclosure but give it a shot... I think you'll see an improvement in output just not be able to dig under 30hz super well.

That SDR-15 might surprise you in a lower tuned box, If you do switch out eventually and if you do change I feel that Diy is the way to go (It'll save you a ton)... let us know how it works out and enjoy.

Just set-up your signal and filters correctly and you'll most likely be pleased.

So I bought a prefabricated ported enclosure for the 15" and that's the only sub I'm running. It hits harder than the 12s and 15 combined when everything was sealed. Now it's just the 15 ported. I also installed a passive eq which is extremely convenient since my musical tastes vary. And I'm running an amp for the mids. My throat almost tightens up depending on what I'm listening to.

I'm glad some advice was taken eagerly and happy it worked out for you... if you ever want better lows (deeper/lower) try an actual custom enclosure tuned and configured for your vehicle/music tastes.

You'll most likely see an improvement over any Qbomb prefab.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.