Can I just use thhn electrical wire for an amp?

Joel114

CarAudio.com Recruit
I work as an electrician and have enough 4 awg copper thhn stranded electrical wire to run from my battery to the amp I am going to install. Could I just use that instead of buying some EB Flex? Is there any downsides?

Never any down sides about going with a bigger gauge wire. If anything, it has the potential for better performance. A well fed amp, is a good amp. I don't know if the 4 gauge you're going with is an upgrade from a smaller gauge, but if so, remember to give it the right fuse. The kind of gauge you use usually determines what size fuse you need. Good luck. 

I work as an electrician and have enough 4 awg copper thhn stranded electrical wire to run from my battery to the amp I am going to install. Could I just use that instead of buying some EB Flex? Is there any downsides?
We can safely assume you know how to use ampacity chart and #4 is adequate for your amp(s).  The main difference in "car audio" power cable is flexibility and sometimes better/thicker insulation.   Just be mindful about putting wire anyplace where it might flex or rub on something, otherwise, copper is copper and electrons really don't know the difference.

With car audio where there is DC power instead of AC compared to the house,  the current tends to loose over distances from the car battery to the back of the trunk area.  Simple way to know your power requirements is to add up your amplifiers fuse rating and add 10% ( due to loss) and then go shopping for the appropriate wiring kit.  In most every day driving 4 gauge or 2 gauge is sufficient unless you plan to enter the SPL lanes then back to the drawing board for you! :cool:

DSC_0544.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.