Sub and amp match

Participant count
  • Participant list

Prodetail

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey. 

Just need a little help if possible, I was told this amp would be 'too much power' for the sub but im not so sure.. so any advice would be great. 

I am looking at buying the Rockford Fosgate P3d2 12". Dual 2 ohm, so i will wire it to a single ohm. It has an Rms rating of 600/ 1200w max.

I would like to run it off the Pioneer [SIZE=1.3rem]GM-D8601 which runs at 800 rms at 1ohm and 1600w max. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1.3rem]Would this be acceptable[/SIZE]? 

[SIZE=20.8px]Thanks[/SIZE]

Do you mean keep the gain down? 
no, the gains should always be set to not allow clipping to come thru to the speaker at the maximum volume you ever reach on the deck, he is talking about if the sub starts to smell funny, that means that youre either clipping or just running too much power thru it. I have 2 P3 D2 subs and have run over 700 watts to each with my SQ2200.1 and they took that power just fine. My box is sealed tho which allows you to run much more power at it without it flinching, if youre ported, be careful to not overpower it or say bye bye to it

Mate, you should be ok as you are not churning 800rms at full ball most times.  Speakers like more power but its the clean power that is good for it. Your speakers don't know the difference between clean power and clipping (distortion) power and it will happily play until the genie comes out with a smoke.

Simple rule is play It by the ear, if you hear distortion, then turn it down.  If you want more volume then get dual subs and another amp.  I ran my 100watt components with 200rms per side amp.  I did not drive them to high levels but I got the volume at lower volume, that is the advantage of having a bigger amp to drive your speakers/ subwoofers.  Play it by the ear and you will be fine mate! 

DSC_0793.jpg

Mate, you should be ok as you are not churning 800rms at full ball most times.  Speakers like more power but its the clean power that is good for it. Your speakers don't know the difference between clean power and clipping (distortion) power and it will happily play until the genie comes out with a smoke.

Simple rule is play It by the ear, if you hear distortion, then turn it down.  If you want more volume then get dual subs and another amp.  I ran my 100watt components with 200rms per side amp.  I did not drive them to high levels but I got the volume at lower volume, that is the advantage of having a bigger amp to drive your speakers/ subwoofers.  Play it by the ear and you will be fine mate! 

View attachment 2383
is that your car? by your use of the term "mate" i assume that youre somewhere other than the states. i only ask because im interested in what kind of stuff is available across the pond. We are kinda spoiled over here with all the offerings available

Hey YouDoofus.

Thanks for your response. I am in Sydney Australia and I agree with you that you have more car audio scene there then us.  Sydney scene has died down, even our national website all closed and it was going well but I think the cost of maintenance was not viable in the long run by the website owners..bummer!!  I have been delving in car audio for the past 30 odd years so I used to wait patiently for the old Car Stereo and Electronics magazines at the newstands.  I remember reading about Richard Clarke and David Navone from Autosound 2000 , they were legends and I love to read those product reviews and new products.

I am still running old school American audio in my current ride.   Boston pro 6.4s, Rockford coax - PPI Power Class PC450, speaker amp, Phoenix Gold RX1100.1 mono running a pair of Boston 12.5LF old school subwoofers in infinite baffle, they sound amazing!!

BTW, that is not my car mate!.  I have listed my car here on the website,  If you look at my profile you will see Mitsubishi ASX and I have some install pics of it.

Hope you are enjoying your current sound system in your ride.

Attached is the pic of my current ride.  I have since changed the Rocford P215S4 subwoofers to Boston Acoustics 12.5LF.  I have a pair of old school Soundstream Rubicon 12.s that I may give them a run as well.  So far the Boston's are just impressing me everyday. They have more punch than the RF subwoofers.

Later!

Rob

1526986555074.jpg

1466498140352.jpg

1526539282647.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.