JL Audio 10W3v3-2 with Alpine MRV-M500

Brewster

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a JL Audio 10W3v3-2 with Alpine MRV-M500 in the back of my 2008 Infiniti FX35 Suv. Seems decent for what it is but of course I'd like more. I was wondering how the 12W3 or a 13W3 would perform with the little budget Alpine amp.  The amp is rated for 500 wats @ 2ohms which would put it in the sweet spot for either of the two previously mentioned subwoofers.  I'm also open to other sub brands in this power range.  Educate me :)

doubling cone area would theoretically give you 3 more db's which is barely audible. 
Cone area is not the only metric of a speaker's performance. Xmax, or cone excursion also determines output capability.  To that end, I went with a Sundown Audio EV3 12" sub in a sealed 1.25 cubic foot box.....and it sounds amazing. Way more than 3 dB louder than the JL 10w3 and it isn't even broken in yet (if you believe in that). So far I've been very impressed with the Sundown 12" even with it being an entry level sub especially since it was $139 versus the cost of a JL Audio 12w3 which would have been closer to $300.

Cone area is not the only metric of a speaker's performance. Xmax, or cone excursion also determines output capability.  To that end, I went with a Sundown Audio EV3 12" sub in a sealed 1.25 cubic foot box.....and it sounds amazing. Way more than 3 dB louder than the JL 10w3 and it isn't even broken in yet (if you believe in that). So far I've been very impressed with the Sundown 12" even with it being an entry level sub especially since it was $139 versus the cost of a JL Audio 12w3 which would have been closer to $300.
tenor.gif

I am aware but since you listed all W3's those parameters almost the same. the 13 will have a little bump in power and xmax. 

Regardless glad you are happy with the Sundown they are solid entry level subs.

As someone who's owned a 12w3v3 and an ev3 12, I miss the JL waaayyy more. The sundown is definitely a bit louder but the difference in sound quality is huge. I never tried it sealed, but in a well built enclosure tuned to 32 I was very unimpressed with the e12s sq. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.