Fuse on subwoofer terminal

Participant count
  • Participant list

Swampworks

CarAudio.com Newbie
 Built a subwoofer box with my son today and the terminal cup has a slot for a fuse. How do I determine what size fuse to use. I’ve never seen a fuse at that location before. If it helps, the subwoofer is a Skar VVX-12v3.

thanks

Pic of the terminal cup?
See the attached. Fuse slot is centered just below the terminals.

66885F58-BA56-4A88-977F-9605835F1EC7.jpeg

Swampworks said:
See the attached. Fuse slot is centered just below the terminals.

View attachment 2213
Ignore it.. You should be fused at the amplifier if installed properly and at the main supply at the battery. That is not the correct terminal for car audio ssubs/ speakers.Thats either for Home Audio or as stated .. for a powered PA speaker system

Yup built in protection usually for burst or spikes of power. No clue what size fuse you would use for what power rating but it is a mini ATC fuse.
If this is true and you're running >1200W amp you may be able to open any fuse that size.   I'm sure that makes more sense on 8 or 16 ohm high voltage PA systems where a small fuse could possibly save your speakers.

I am with you 100%. In a car audio environment I think the fuse situation is well under control... no need for another at the speaker.
It's more of an issue that we really don't fuse subwoofers period since most can take quick bursts of way more than rated power (which many of us take advantage of) and because we generally run low impedance (high current), so even a 1000W amp could be popping 30A fuses.

I see fuses could be way more useful on retard proofing a PA cab full of horns, tweets, and mids.

I am with you 100%. In a car audio environment I think the fuse situation is well under control... no need for another at the speaker.
Ive been around car audio since the mid 80s, and I can tellyou that Ive never encountered and inline fuse for and type of speaker wiring in the car audio world. my brother has been in music for years playing several instruments and making music with several different amplifiers from Marshall, Peavy,JBL,Line6,Gorilla, ect. Ive seen fuses in some those terminals. Dont remember in the Tube amps though

Ive been around car audio since the mid 80s, and I can tellyou that Ive never encountered and inline fuse for and type of speaker wiring in the car audio world. my brother has been in music for years playing several instruments and making music with several different amplifiers from Marshall, Peavy,JBL,Line6,Gorilla, ect. Ive seen fuses in some those terminals. Dont remember in the Tube amps though
Those speaker lines get warmed up pretty quick after playing a bit

Ill have to ask him next time i get a hold of him and look at some of his pieces and investigate a little.Got me a bit curious now to know exactly why.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.