2- JL12w3 sealed vs 1- JL12w3 vented

Participant count
  • Participants list

Gioss
10+ year member

Here is my dilemma.  I just picked up a 1998 Lexus GS400 and would like to retain most of my trunk room.  There are 2 prefab boxes I am looking at, sealed for 2 12's @1.75^3ft or the same for 1 12" vented.  I have a Massive Audio D3600 which makes those 12s hit really hard in the smallish enclosure (which I had in a similar box).  My question is "will the 1 12 hit harder in the proper vented box tuned at 32hz than in a smaller sealed with 2 12's."  Specs on the jl12w3 calls for 1.1^3 ft for each in a sealed, and 1.75^3 in vented.

I listen to all different types of music, but LOVE hard hitting hip-hop.  I am in the mood for some ground pounding bass.  Logic tells me that 2 twelves will hit harder in the sealed with plenty of power, I have never used ported so I want to get some opinions. 

Looking forward to some thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized that I also have 2 alpine sws10d2, they need 1^3 each for a ported box.  perhaps that would be a better choice than 1 ported 12 which I am leaning towards.

Appreciate any feed back....

Gio

I am thinking fabbing a slotted for the 2 tens.  Since they are 2ohm I can bring the amp down to 1 ohm and get big power, that plus 2 in a slotted box, I think that will be banging.

On 500w the single 12w3 ported in 1.75cf @ 32hz would be louder from 22-60hz compared to 2 12w3s in 2cf sealed. Double the power to 1000w and the sealed 12s match the peak loudness of the single 12, but they play flatter and are thus louder across the whole spectrum compared to the ported 12 on 500w.

Pick your poison.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.