Adding Subwoofers to a car that has it's main battery in the trunk?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MassiveAudio124

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently purchased a 2006 chevy cobalt, and to my surprise, the car battery is actually in the trunk of the car. I planned on adding 2 Massive Audio GTX124's on a Brutus amp in the car I am also using copper-clad wire (yeah, I know it's bad), but I worry that all the juice from the battery will go straight to the subs instead of the car's other electrical needs. Should I find a way to mount another battery in the front of the car, or is there another way to go about this? Thanks all.

My battery is in the trunk spare tire well.

B82EDDB8-5484-4806-978F-A2A67C272BAC.jpeg

I'll just say what I said on yahoo (with a few additions) and maybe get a conversation going...

It doesn't matter where in the circuit the battery/alternator/load(amplifier in this case) is located -- The alternator is the source when the car's running -- as it operates at a higher voltage than the battery produces. The battery doesn't unload current until the alternator is maxed out or can't respond quick enough to a sudden change in current demand (which happens a lot with high power sound systems at high volume). Having the battery close to the amps is a good thing since you don't have as much voltage drop in the wire between the battery and amp(s). You may want to determine what size wires your stock lead from the alternator to the battery is and run an extra 8 awg or larger if there's only 8 awg (maybe 6) in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.