Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Ok, so my setup is a

-Sundown Audio u-12 wired to 1ohm

-Skar RP-2000.1D

-Line output converter coming from stock subwoofer harness

-Lincoln navigator w/stock head unit

Now that we've got that out of the way, I got the skar amp recently and I installed it. I went to set my gains (I'm doing it with the little speaker and the capacitor method) as soon as I get the gain more than half way it sounds like the subwoofer is bottoming out? I'd suspect this to be distortion, so I adjusted the gains on my line output converter until no distortion was present. I tried again. Same result. Normally I wouldn't be complaining, but something is wrong when a sundown u12 can't even get remotely loud without some form of bass boost on higher than rms power?  -Ps the box is to spec (2 feet cu)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What loc are you using? If it’s a sub $15 one about 1 out of 5 actually work as supposed to 


My wife doesn’t know about my car audio addiction...shhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Matt stated above, If its a cheap LOC then thats the problem. Look into audiocontrol or an aftermarket head unit. Thise 10-20 LOCs are trash and will hold back your entire system in output


Refs-Skip01, Jmanjr, goodie, DubbDesigns, joem1cha3l, Kawasaki STX-R, audiobahnuser18, djhn9, Jeeper09, cityboy21, sporty_drew, FLOSSINON24S, wong05tsx, thaster, Acizzle423, soloXgt, mobeious, Cloak559, ldyzlvudis06, pickup1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MattinMO said:

What loc are you using? If it’s a sub $15 one about 1 out of 5 actually work as supposed to 

I'm not gonna lie it's like 15 dollars at walmart. Could this really be the problem?? It worked fine for me on the other amp?

(Basically what's the difference between like a 12 dollar and 70 dollar LOC)

Edited by Ultrabb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What frequency test tone are you using?

 

It is possible that the frequency you are using causes an unloading issue with your current box design. Especially if it is below the actual tuned frequency of the box


2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4

Pioneer touch screen with front and rear cam

Memphis viv component run active

2 alpine pdr-m65

1 alpine pdr-f50

2 jl 13tw5-3 in subthump understeat box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, winkychevelle said:

What frequency test tone are you using?

 

It is possible that the frequency you are using causes an unloading issue with your current box design. Especially if it is below the actual tuned frequency of the box

This is my thought.  What frequency and what are the box specs?   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah so the box is tuned to 32hz, It bottoms out at 35, and 55hz specifically? Like the subs aren't hitting at all either. On my old amp I was severely underpowering the sub and it was hitting way hard.

 

The box is just a prefab from ebay while I Figure out what I wanna do with the setup, i'm pretty sure this is it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282600080773?ul_noapp=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ultrabb said:

Ps the box is to spec (2 feet cu ft)

24 minutes ago, Ultrabb said:

To spec?... something along these lines will be closer to what you need for that amp/sub...

VI97cH.jpg

That's a lot closer to spec than that prefab... and should do a lot better.... personally I'd tune a little higher but it was not my call... lol

It's for an XTR2500 btw

 

Edited by shredder2

JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 33.5hz 3.8ft3 ported, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ... or...

JVC KD-X350BTS, Kicker S10L72 1.75ft3 ported, Synergy 3K @ 1 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shredder2 said:

 

The actual listing and the box are different, but yeah I know I know prefabs suck. But like is that causing my problem? I'm still thinking it's just my crappy loc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replace the crappy loc anyways... then remember that the enclosure is super important.

I can't stress that statement enough.

  • Thanks 1

JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 33.5hz 3.8ft3 ported, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ... or...

JVC KD-X350BTS, Kicker S10L72 1.75ft3 ported, Synergy 3K @ 1 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

Replace the crappy loc anyways... then remember that the enclosure is super important.

I can't stress that statement enough.

So I got the audiocontrol lc2i and set it all up with gains and such and it made no difference, I still have the same problem, also I forgot to mention this same thing happens on other subs, I tried it on a pair of kicker compc's in a kicker box made for them, same problem. They don't hit nearly as hard on the new amp and they bottom out. So if box isn't a huge problem and line output converter isn't either, is it the amp? I already sent one back because it literally didn't work. :((

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 5:13 PM, Ultrabb said:

 

-Sundown Audio u-12 wired to 1ohm

-Skar RP-2000.1D

-Line output converter coming from stock subwoofer harness

-Lincoln navigator w/stock head unit

 

3 hours ago, Ultrabb said:

The box is just a prefab from ebay while I Figure out what I wanna do with the setup, i'm pretty sure this is it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282600080773?ul_noapp=true

Just seems like so much fail in your setup to me that It's hard to know where to start

Factory HU

Signal thru loc/lc2i from factory SUB harness?

U12 in a prefab?.. That one above has 21^ of port and is probably 1.8ft3 net ad at best... so it is truly bad with a 30mm x-max driver on 2K... output limiting for sure.

The bottoming is another thing I'd guess tho

Maybe it's me but a good clean signal is always where you start... is that a decent signal coming from the sub harness?.. I wouldn't know as I've always used an aftermarket source.

You buy a decent sub, put it in a prefab and use an loc to tap from the factory sub harness for signal then try a lc2i, try different subs and it's the same. 

Maybe try a different signal source?

Someone on here will have to step-in about your signal source as I've never even tried to pull signal from factory sub wires. Always full range and let the loc/amp x-over do it's thing when I've been forced to use a loc.

Maybe the signal is being adjusted/processed from the factory radio and that's causing part of the issue?

Is it tapped before or after the factory amp?.. sorry had to ask

Just spitballing here as I just dont see the amp probably being the issue, maybe the tune but it sounds like it's bad.

Tuned in now OP... 

Always trying to expand my knowledge.

 

 

 


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 33.5hz 3.8ft3 ported, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ... or...

JVC KD-X350BTS, Kicker S10L72 1.75ft3 ported, Synergy 3K @ 1 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check you wiring and make sure your subs arent out of phase


2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4

Pioneer touch screen with front and rear cam

Memphis viv component run active

2 alpine pdr-m65

1 alpine pdr-f50

2 jl 13tw5-3 in subthump understeat box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, shredder2 said:

 

So it's plugged in after the factory amp, I'm using a decent line output converter now, I agree the box isn't great, this is just a temporary setup. I don't think that's causing the problem because this happens on multiple subs in different enclosures. I don't think it's the signal because I had it all on a hiphonics 1800.1d and it all ran great. I'm gonna try and tap into something full range later. The only reason I didn't do that in the first place is because the car already has all the crossovers and stuff like that set because it's got like a thx certified sound system or whatever.

 

I'll probably just hook the RCA to a friend's aftermarket sterio and see if that fixes it and keep you updated.

Edited by Ultrabb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ultrabb said:

So it's plugged in after the factory amp, I'm using a decent line output converter now, I agree the box isn't great, this is just a temporary setup. I don't think that's causing the problem because this happens on multiple subs in different enclosures. I don't think it's the signal because I had it all on a hiphonics 1800.1d and it all ran great. I'm gonna try and tap into something full range later. The only reason I didn't do that in the first place is because the car already has all the crossovers and stuff like that set because it's got like a thx certified sound system or whatever.

 

I'll probably just hook the RCA to a friend's aftermarket sterio and see if that fixes it and keep you updated.

Do you have an amp you can borrow from a friend to rule that out? 

If it’s getting good signal now as you say, all you’re wiring is in order I.e. power & ground and sub wiring, it’s still not working how you think it should I’d try another amp even if it’s underpowered 


My wife doesn’t know about my car audio addiction...shhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattinMO said:

Do you have an amp you can borrow from a friend to rule that out? 

If it’s getting good signal now as you say, all you’re wiring is in order I.e. power & ground and sub wiring, it’s still not working how you think it should I’d try another amp even if it’s underpowered 

I've been running the under powered one for like a year, I just upgraded to the skar and this is where the problems started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ultrabb said:

I've been running the under powered one for like a year, I just upgraded to the skar and this is where the problems started.

You need to do some MORE process of elimination. You’ve eliminated the signal as you stated, you’ve eliminated wiring correct? I’d find a friend with a 800-1200 watt amp to swap in to see if you notice a difference. 

Did you buy the skar new used or refurb out of curiosity ?


My wife doesn’t know about my car audio addiction...shhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MattinMO said:

You need to do some MORE process of elimination. You’ve eliminated the signal as you stated, you’ve eliminated wiring correct? I’d find a friend with a 800-1200 watt amp to swap in to see if you notice a difference. 

Did you buy the skar new used or refurb out of curiosity ?

I bought one used, and it completely didn't work, go figure. And I bought the second one new after I sent back the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 10:37 AM, Ultrabb said:

I'll probably just hook the RCA to a friend's aftermarket sterio and see if that fixes it and keep you updated.

Ever try this ^^^?.

If I had to guess, after the factory amp where your tapped for signal is too much signal for your converter.

Of course you stated it worked previously... idk


JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 33.5hz 3.8ft3 ported, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ... or...

JVC KD-X350BTS, Kicker S10L72 1.75ft3 ported, Synergy 3K @ 1 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shredder2 said:

Ever try this ^^^?.

If I had to guess, after the factory amp where your tapped for signal is too much signal for your converter.

Of course you stated it worked previously... idk

Yeah, I did try it just today. It did the same thing. I guess I'm sending the amp back to amazon a second time 😕

For those of you interested i'll update when I get another and if it works.

Edited by Ultrabb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's free & easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×